Hub shutting down daily

I have been having problems for weeks with my Hub not being reachable through any interface daily as well as routines not runn. I've emailed support I am getting some help perhaps, but it's not moving along as fast as I would like and I'm not really sure what to do about it.

I have included a screenshot that shows that there was activity until about 2 a.m. and then there was no activity until a switch was physically turned on when there should have been a morning routine that turned lights on. Similarly, this evening a routine should have turned on some lights and it did not run. I tried to access the Hub through the IP address and through the app and it was unresponsive.

Suffice it to say this is extremely annoying and I'm a little frustrated that after many emails with support I haven't really got anywhere with this. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or something else. There's nothing that shows in the log this morning, for instance when the routine was supposed to run that tells me anything.

I do have a couple of errors that show up during other times of the day, and I have included those in my emails with support, but I have no idea if they have anything to do with this or not.

Any thoughts on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Power cable perhaps. I’ve heard some have issues with those.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your Hubitat. And you've definitely done the right thing in contacting support. I'm tagging @bobbyD to bring this to his attention.

But in the mean time, could you do the following:

1. When you reboot, I'm assuming that you are disconnecting/reconnecting power? Before you do that, could you test if you can reach the diagnostic port of your Hubitat (http://hubitat_ip:8081)?

2. Rebooting will not destroy old logs. Could you post screenshot of past logs immediately after a reboot (assuming you reboot because your Hubitat is not responsive)?

3. Can you try changing power supplies? Anything that puts out 1A or higher at 5VDC would work.

4. Finally, what is the color of the Hubitat LED when it is non-responsive?

1 Like

I have recently been rebooting through the diagnostic port. I just rebooted about half an hour ago and there's absolutely nothing that shows up in the logs that even indicates that it was rebooted. The dryer temperature sensor message that was shown in the last screenshot is all that apppears.

I can try changing power supplies and see if that makes a difference.

As far as I know the light on the front is blue.

Is this a C-4 hub?

Have you tried a soft reset?

Is the Hub with the USB stick on the side. I have tried to soft reset as well.

Bobby has been working with me on this but he's only one person and he probably has a lot of people to help out so I'm sure there's a limit to what he is able to do.

Just one other thought - is the hub in a location where it gets hot?

You will find the time that your hub started up in the System Events.

So IF I am reading this right, the hub seems to stay working except these two routines? Maybe said another way, you obviously got into the logs somehow. Can you get to the Devices tab, and Dashboards, or is it ONLY the routines that have problems.

From what I am reading here, I think we need to look at the routines. What are these routines? What did you use to build them? Screenshot of them? Can you manually run them and see if they work otherwise?

@aaiyar and @mik3, I am not positive, but I think you guys are on the wrong path here. The routine didn't fire, but the hub somehow saw the switch flip on? How could a bad cord or overheating cause this?

Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds more like a rule not triggering properly, or a device not reporting back (mesh issue?) or something like that.

Hopefully we get more details about this failed "routine" as he calls it. We don't even know what he means by "routine" at this point.

Flipping a switch. Power cycling the hub.

His routines didn’t run because it is locked up.

I am not reading that he reset the hub, at least I don't see he did until after the fact.

I have included a screenshot that shows that there was activity until about 2 a.m. and then there was no activity until a switch was physically turned on when there should have been a morning routine that turned lights on.

The way I interpreted that is that the dryer sensor reported at 2:14 AM, then nothing, then it detected the switch physically flipped at 9:05 AM. While I agree that it could be locked up, why did it suddenly respond 7 hours later? Usually once it is locked up nothing can recover it besides a reboot.

Now if he rebooted somewhere between 2 and 9, then he left that information out. We are missing a lot of information, for one, we are don't know what support has had him try.

I don't know how we can draw any conclusions yet, and that is all I was trying to say. I hate to make him think a power cord will solve this when it could be a poorly written rule or a bad driver or dead battery or something else causing trouble. For all we know, support might have already had him try a new cord, but again we weren't given that information by OP.

The hub is on top of a table and completely uncovered an in open air.

Here are the recent system events:

@neonturbo
"So IF I am reading this right, the hub seems to stay working except these two routines?"

No, that is not the case.

"Maybe said another way, you obviously got into the logs somehow. Can you get to the Devices tab, and Dashboards, or is it ONLY the routines that have problems."

I cannot access anything at all with the hub.

"From what I am reading here, I think we need to look at the routines. What are these routines? What did you use to build them? Screenshot of them? Can you manually run them and see if they work otherwise?"

Here is an example. This was created in rule machine and has been running for months (maybe over a year) without issue. Now it does not run.

@neonturbo
"We are missing a lot of information, for one, we are don't know what support has had him try."

Support had me soft reset and I sent logs and some device details to support. Support is focusing on device issues, it seems, and not the hub itself. That's about the extent of it so far. I have not been asked to try a new power supply or cable until the responses on the forum. Thank you for the ideas, by the way.

"it could be a poorly written rule or a bad driver or dead battery or something else causing trouble."

The rule(s) were created in rule machine and most have been running for months and months. Is there a battery in the hub that needs to be replaced?

As a follow up to the location events previously posted, here are the hub events. I do have the hub scheduled to automatically reboot three days per week at 6:30 am.

Hi there, I reviewed your support ticket. When you reached out, it looked like your database may have been corrupted. I still believe that you have one or more devices that may have gone bad. What make, model is the "Dryer sensor" and what driver is using? Do you have any errors in your logs? Are you still seeing those SQL errors that you've shared last week?

1 Like

No.

1 Like

@bobbyD

The dryer sensor is a HomeSeer HS-FS100-L. I don't have any errors pertaining to this device that I can find.

I had an error for a scene for a single light in a room and I deleted the scene just today. That was the only error in the past 24 hours and there were other items in the log after that error. The error seemed to be tied to this switch:

This is the only error that was reported in the last 24 hours:

By the way, before I could gather any information from the hub this morning I had to reboot the hub through the diagnostic tool. I was unable to access the hub through the IP address again, as usual.