Hub restarting multiple times per day

It is very normal for not all devices to be displayed in that view. I honestly don't find that web view useful for anything other than routers. I have maybe 40 zigbee devices (all working), and it never shows more than maybe 10 (direct and routed ones).

1 Like

powerevd one I think around 20-25. This will work but I need to be in contact with suport. For tha same reason I said before. There is no way for me to be sure the current disconected devices contain the wrong one without asking support to check logs.

I believe @Eric.C.Miller has the correct approach to solving your problem.
Your system is clearly not functioning so taking devices “down” should not be any issue.
The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll finish.
Good luck and please post your progress and success.

1 Like

If the rogue device is not listed, why not just make a manual inventory of the devices you have and compare it to the devices list on the hub?

3 Likes

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but removing devices from Hubitat isn't going to help. The problem is because of a device that has been DELETED from the hub but the device still thinks it's joined. So, you could remove 100% of your devices and you'd still have this problem. I would think what you need to do is review the list of devices and see what is missing. If you haven't removed any devices in the past few days, I don't understand how you got the problem, if a stranded device is the root cause.

I might be incorrect, but that isn't what is being suggested.

What's been suggested is for @laurian.cuzma to disable 5 zigbee end-devices (battery powered devices) at a time to see if the problem with HE stops. Doing so will narrow down the rogue unpaired device to a group of 5 that can be further narrowed down to one.

1 Like

I replied to the OP based on what he said he is planning on doing, since it doesn't seem anyone else is actually listening to him but talking among themselves.

Why? If the device is listed in Hubitat and it is updating regularly, then it, by definition, cannot be the problem. The problem is a missing device.

The device isn't being disabled in HE. It's being disabled by pulling the battery. It could be a device previously paired to HE, or one paired currently that is a misbehaving. Either way, pulling the battery should prevent it from causing the reported instability.

1 Like

How would that cause the hub to reboot? A device not joined to the hub that thinks it still is, I can see how that would cause a fault that could cause a reboot. That I get. But a "misbehaving" device is enough to cause a reboot? That's a little scary. How would a device "misbehave" to cause that?

I've had a Xiaomi sensor pair incompletely using one ID, and then pair/get configured with a different ID.

For the longest time, it showed up a "null" device with an address in /hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo.

It finally disappeared when I unpaired/reset all my Xiaomi sensors before pairing them to a new Hubitat.

Use the zigbee logs page.. you should be able to see the incoming zigbee messages there:

Settings -> Zigbee Details -> Zigbee Logging

or go directly to here:
http://[HUB IP]/hub/zigbeeLogs

2 Likes

And that caused your hub to reboot?

No. It would cause zigbee instabilities that made my automations fail. The hub would also slow to a crawl within a few hours of a reboot. It's possible I never waited long enough for it to crash.

Yes, I agree. But "slow-down", "crash" and "lock-up" are not reboot. He is seeing the hub reboot on it's own. You said a misbehaving device could cause your hub to reboot and that is what I was asking you to clarify. How could a misbehaving device cause the hub to reboot?

I have no reason to believe that it would not have rebooted had I let it persist, and as best as I can tell, nether do you. The rest of his symptoms are close enough to mine.

Yes, except of course the critical symptom in the problem of the hub rebooting.....the rebooting part. So, a misbehaving device won't cause a hub to reboot then. Got it.

Here's how I remove ghost Zigbee device. Open the Zigbee log page in Zigbee settings. Leave it on and look for the device with no name on it. Note down the Zigbee ID.
Create a virtual device and select a Zigbee driver. Put in the Zigbee ID you noted earlier. Now remove device.

As for the reboot. Too many variables but look at the logs before the reboot for hints.

3 Likes

Oau as I sleep a lot of heplful hints. Thanks all for that.

One question. When you reset a zigbee device will it get a new address?
I have a lot aof Xiaomi devices working on custom ´drivers. Maybe one of them is not workig properly. I will check all of them :slight_smile:

No, on ZigBee the addresses stay the same as they are hard coded in the device. Where as z-wave gets a new ID from the hub each time it is paired.

@BorrisTheCat thanks