Hub process slowdown after several days

C4 hub with the latest firmware (happened on previous firmware versions as well).

I have had motion lighting not trigger sometimes with the latest 2.1.4.130 FW or delayed as you experienced, I suspect there could be an issue here. It does not happen all the time just occasionally it does not fire, I did not have any issues before this update either.

Edit: I also noticed its very quiet on the update front and no live broadcast for over a month now.

2 Likes

Okay good to know.

I had just disabled my cron task from one of my linux servers to hit the reboot URL every 3-4 days (I've been playing with the timing), and the hub had gone completely unresponsive this morning again. Even the reboot url would not respond, and it was not pingable. I had to power cycle the hubitat to restore functionality. I guess it's still having its issues.

One of my hubs locked up today. Had to cycle power to clear it. Sigh.

1 Like

I am aware of that. This particular rule was probably cloned multiple times. My usual process is to clone the rule, pause the copy, and keep the original to change. But if I go back to the copy, I know that I have to modify it.

Anyway, the rule was working, albeit slowly, before the restore, and there weren't any cloned copies, so I don't think that's it.

Good thought, though! I can see how that might have been the problem.

1 Like

It's all been running so smoothly that I decided to be brave. :grin: I only had one custom app disabled, anyway, and it was an app that by all reports is pretty solid. So it wasn't a big risk. This morning everything is still peppy!

I suspect that heavy modifications to a rule can cause issues. I have in the past modified rules and then get stuck at a certain point with an error where I have had to delete and re-create the rule. I would imagine there could be issues with cloning rules sometimes also.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. And my kitchen lights automation is probably the rule that's been cloned and modified the most.

If everyone uses the same app and it measures the same thing we could even compare our hubs to one another to get a kind of baseline performance standard...interesting.

4 Likes

Just putting some final touches on this...

1 Like

I had another thought too...one that could be community driven. What about two pinned threads. APPS that have been proven to be OK and "UNPROVEN" apps. The community together could decided which apps haven't caused issues and which ones have. At least that gives people a place to start disabling and isn't a ton of work to maintain.

@bptworld nice work!! (Is your 3rd party app going to void my warranty? :joy:) <- That's a joke folks

1 Like

:bomb::bomb: use at your own risk :bomb::bomb:

:wink:

1 Like

Things finally slowed down to the point my test app quit working altogether. Rebooted. Disabled my last custom app. So nothing except built in apps and rules. If things still slow down........??? Will know in a few days.

Just a note. My last custom app was mine that just polled for weather alerts every 30 minutes. I had changed it to async as suggested. Can't imagine anything there getting out of whack.

so you had ONE custom app and got slowdowns? (I'm not able to distinguish "my test app" and "last custom app" -- same app? or two?)

What app? I'm curious because I've been following "slowdown threads" and have a fistfull of hypothesis.. one of which is 'asyncHTTP' related.

OMG! How DARE you make a joke about our warranties! :wink: LOL

1 Like

I edited the post to add a little more info.

What about custom drivers?

OK, sorry for the confusion. The test app was actually a RM4 rule. Wasn't thinking when I called it an app. The custom app was as I said my own that did a asynchttpget every 30 minutes. Actually it did 2 such calls each time, wonder if that is part of the issue. I can get by without it for now so I disabled it.

The only custom drivers I have are the Logitech Harmony by ogiewon. And an Inovelli 2 channel smart plug driver by Inovelli. I could probably get by without the Harmony one for awhile, but the Inovelli plug would put a real hardship on things.

Okay, check out the new Hub Watchdog! Remember this is a first run through and things can change. I still need to create a new driver to to save the data points to on each run.

But, I think it works. Let me know what you think over on the Hub Watchdog thread.

Thanks

4 Likes