Hub process slowdown after several days

I have performed a soft reset of my hub and done a restore of the back-up. I will see if the performance continues to be good after a week or so. I have also disabled my reboot rule so I can gauge if performance is impacted without a reboot. My fear is with the first focus being on 3rd party apps each time you contact Hubitat for slow processing or slow web UI that support will miss other factors and never be able to identify any inefficiencies of the hub itself. We all know bugs can be hard to track down and when you end up desensitized to other possible causes people struggle and eventually give up and move on to other devices.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: On Managing Third Party Apps

Well, this is interesting... or at least it was interesting to me.

A couple of days ago, I decided I needed to try a hub soft reset, so I'd know what the procedure was if I ever needed it. The soft reset and restore was easy and went without a hitch.

But after the restore was complete, my kitchen lights automation -- the one that was first to start lagging and be weird -- started acting very strangely. I checked over the RM4 rule, and noticed that a few of the actions were suddenly incomplete. For example, the rule includes a couple of Cancel Timed Actions that no longer pointed to This Rule. Apparently they canceled something in outer space? The Private Boolean was similarly confused.

Since I fixed the weird things in that rule, all of my automations have been running like clockwork, with no lag at all. Hub pages and dashboards load quickly. It's all just... bright and shiny and like new. :grin: It's going on the third day, now. I've restarted the custom apps that I'd disabled. The only rules that are still disabled are my scheduled hub reboot (hoping I'm not going to need it), and my out-of-town automations (no need for the foreseeable future).

Apparently there was something corrupted in that rule that the soft reset and restore flushed out. So I guess that's the first thing I'm going to try if a slow down happens again.

@bobbyD, @bravenel -- don't know if soft reset, restore, reboot, is part of the support suggestions for debugging slow downs, but maybe it should be at the top of the list?

So motion lighting has been behaving strangely. Delayed and not seeing me. A reboot fixed it.

I barely have any apps or drivers installed.

I removed MyQ the other day but never kicked off a reboot after I removed it.

I will continue to monitor. I got around 4 days before it started.

• apex weather
  • watchdog
  • virtual precense with switch

Can I ask if those rules were cloned from another rule? I have cloned rules in the past to make modifications to but still keep the original in case I screw things up.
Cloning will still point to the original for cancels and PB.
Just thinking aloud really. :smile:

1 Like

@jabecker, 3rd day, and you're back adding things in ? I would have waited a bit longer seeing as you'd inconvenienced yourself already. Anyway good luck with it now you've sorted out the RULES.
@mik3, I'd be following @jabecker's lead, and be checkin your RULES if you think your App sand Drivers are good.
:+1:

My thought if this starts again is to do a soft reset with a restore....

Several posts above, # 82, I showed a test rule I was using to detect slow down. I did a reboot on 9/21. I have run the test every morning since then. Using the logs the execution has went from .253 seconds to .740 seconds in just 3 days. At the higher number it is iffy as to whether the rule will work and turn on my light.

I have removed or disabled all custom apps except one of my own. All that rule does is every 30 minutes checks for weather alerts. I changed that to an asynchttpget as recommended. I have split up rules to hopefully prevent any multiple occurences of delays in the rules.

So I will keep trying over the next few days and see how much slower it gets. But right now the trend is slower.

Linking it here for everyone:

interesting approach, and I think as a community helping to come up with procedures like this CAN help us identify WHAT is causing issues. Because now it's a disable and wait game with no real numbers to back up how much it helped or didn't...other than lockups. Can a simple app or rule be made to do a similar testing that's a bit easier to track other than looking at logs?

2 Likes

So far it's only been a day since my soft reset and so far it is running better. I know this is not enough time to really get a good test in but I would think if it was simply 3rd party apps causing the issue those would still be an issue and cause performance issues even after a reset. I have tried to not make any changes to make it an accurate test. I will report back in a few days from now with my results.

So for the heck of it, I did a soft reset and restored from a backup.

I'll keep an eye on things....

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll take a look at making a quick app.

5 Likes

It would be great if it was something that could be set to run every x hours and a warning could be triggered if the response time became greater than a specified amount, or have events sent to a tile on the dashboard. I'm not a programmer, so I don't have any idea how difficult that would be.

C5 hub, 2.1.4.130

1 Like

I tried Echo Speaks sporadically. I never tried Echo Speaks Actions. I have a C5 hub, the last version I tried Echo Speaks with was 2.1.4.130.

I have a strong feeling that the C-5 hub is the common denominator in the slowdowns.

I have a C5 Currently running version: 2.1.4.130

I also have a C5 hub on the latest firmware.

You may or may not be wrong for the latest slowdowns but I was getting it on my C3 hub when Chromecast (beta) was loaded. (May this year).
Disabled and now my issues have gone.
(Mind you I am rebooting twice a week just in case). :wink:

1 Like