Hub process slowdown after several days

Linking it here for everyone:

interesting approach, and I think as a community helping to come up with procedures like this CAN help us identify WHAT is causing issues. Because now it's a disable and wait game with no real numbers to back up how much it helped or didn't...other than lockups. Can a simple app or rule be made to do a similar testing that's a bit easier to track other than looking at logs?

2 Likes

So far it's only been a day since my soft reset and so far it is running better. I know this is not enough time to really get a good test in but I would think if it was simply 3rd party apps causing the issue those would still be an issue and cause performance issues even after a reset. I have tried to not make any changes to make it an accurate test. I will report back in a few days from now with my results.

So for the heck of it, I did a soft reset and restored from a backup.

I'll keep an eye on things....

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll take a look at making a quick app.

5 Likes

It would be great if it was something that could be set to run every x hours and a warning could be triggered if the response time became greater than a specified amount, or have events sent to a tile on the dashboard. I'm not a programmer, so I don't have any idea how difficult that would be.

C5 hub, 2.1.4.130

1 Like

I tried Echo Speaks sporadically. I never tried Echo Speaks Actions. I have a C5 hub, the last version I tried Echo Speaks with was 2.1.4.130.

I have a strong feeling that the C-5 hub is the common denominator in the slowdowns.

I have a C5 Currently running version: 2.1.4.130

I also have a C5 hub on the latest firmware.

You may or may not be wrong for the latest slowdowns but I was getting it on my C3 hub when Chromecast (beta) was loaded. (May this year).
Disabled and now my issues have gone.
(Mind you I am rebooting twice a week just in case). :wink:

1 Like

C4 hub with the latest firmware (happened on previous firmware versions as well).

I have had motion lighting not trigger sometimes with the latest 2.1.4.130 FW or delayed as you experienced, I suspect there could be an issue here. It does not happen all the time just occasionally it does not fire, I did not have any issues before this update either.

Edit: I also noticed its very quiet on the update front and no live broadcast for over a month now.

2 Likes

Okay good to know.

I had just disabled my cron task from one of my linux servers to hit the reboot URL every 3-4 days (I've been playing with the timing), and the hub had gone completely unresponsive this morning again. Even the reboot url would not respond, and it was not pingable. I had to power cycle the hubitat to restore functionality. I guess it's still having its issues.

One of my hubs locked up today. Had to cycle power to clear it. Sigh.

1 Like

I am aware of that. This particular rule was probably cloned multiple times. My usual process is to clone the rule, pause the copy, and keep the original to change. But if I go back to the copy, I know that I have to modify it.

Anyway, the rule was working, albeit slowly, before the restore, and there weren't any cloned copies, so I don't think that's it.

Good thought, though! I can see how that might have been the problem.

1 Like

It's all been running so smoothly that I decided to be brave. :grin: I only had one custom app disabled, anyway, and it was an app that by all reports is pretty solid. So it wasn't a big risk. This morning everything is still peppy!

I suspect that heavy modifications to a rule can cause issues. I have in the past modified rules and then get stuck at a certain point with an error where I have had to delete and re-create the rule. I would imagine there could be issues with cloning rules sometimes also.