Hub performance degrades when update is available

I have the same issue and support didn’t find anything wrong. As soon as I applied the update I would be fine.

What happens if you block access to the Hubitat servers. Does your hub perform slow?

I’ll try the next time

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I had that little red flag on my hub for a year since July of 2019. I just upgraded to the latest a day ago. It doesn't seem any different. :man_shrugging:

Next time up here:

New Version Available: 2.1.9.117 is out now.

Did not get a message in the browser though, this time. Had to manually trigger the check. Updating now. :slight_smile:

Changelog:

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this is how it works, did someone tell you this?

There is a process that runs every 24 hours in the background that calls the Hubitat servers, the message is approximately 100 bytes long and is json (it includes the current version you are running and your hub id). The server will respond with an empty json object if there is no update, or it will return a version number if there is one available. The version number is then stored in memory, that is how you get the little icon in the corner. This call also runs at startup (again, in the background) so if you reboot you'll see the message sooner than your normal 24 hour call.

12 Likes

It was an assumption. Apparently a bad one. But the reason why I made it is because it sometimes takes about 2-3 seconds after the whole page is loaded till the red notification appears. So the process, albeit totally local, does something what takes a lot of time now and then. That shouldn't happen if it's only 100bytes I think. Or am I wrong in this one too?

Besides that it doesn't really matter how it's done, the fact remains that it clearly messes with the total load time of the http call. And the point I was trying to make is that the http call isn't the best way to measure overall hub slowness.

That's the point of my post, there is never a call to our servers to check for an update when the page is loaded, it's already been done in the background.

2 Likes

Then we're back to the OP. Because if it's not the extra http load time, it must be something else and it still looks like it's related to the update.

I assure you it is not caused by the check for an update or an update being available.

I think what is happening here is an illusory correlation.

6 Likes
1 Like

Ok, so if that is not the reason why some people have this problem it doesn't mean there is no problem. And by the way you are reacting now it come across as if you just don't care. What I just don't understand. I'm fine with you correcting my assumptions but the lack of helpfulness of the real issue is a bit disappointing.

1 Like

Here's what happened: there was bad information presented in this thread and I attempted to correct it. The other option was to ignore it, but then I would still be accused of not caring, so it's a no win situation for me. I care very much about the slow down issue and I work with many of our customers everyday trying to figure it out. We do not post a lot of updates on the forum because there are not a lot of updates. I found an issue and fixed it in 2.1.9 and that was commented on in the release notes. I would appreciate any feedback about what I said that says to you I don't care. If I didn't care I would not have started this company.

6 Likes

It's not that you've said it in so many words. It's just the last post with the link to wikipedia was a little (don't know the English word for it) "cocky"?

Btw, this issue is in my opinion not related to the general slowdown issue.

Understood and removed. I want to maintain an open dialog, I think that's what separates us from our competition. Sometimes intent is very hard to discern via text. Recently someone made a comment about my mother and I had to ask them what they meant by it since my first instinct was that it was some kind of insult.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I would be very surprised if someone would have started about your mother. Assuming nobody here knows your mother.

Anyway, now that your here in this thread, any thoughts on the update slowness correlation some are experiencing? I've experienced it also. Twice. I think it was when I had to go from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6 or something. After that I've not had the problem anymore. But for others it still is an issue.

It's fictional. I've seen and done hundreds of updates. There is no slowdown that correlates in any way with an update being available.

2 Likes

Correlation does not equal causation...

Here is my hypothesis... Hubitat has acknowledged that they are working on correcting issue(s) that result in the hub slowing down over time. Maybe some sort of resource leak?

So.... if your hub is one that experiences a slow degradation of performance over time, then it may simply be coincidental that when your hub finally exhibits this behavior, that it coincides with a new firmware release.

Hubitat releases new firmware about once every month or two. So, if your hub’s performance degrades along this same timeline...the it is simply a coincidence.

Again, just a hypothesis.

Upgrade your hub to the latest. Take and record measurements.
Using Revert, go back a release. You’ll have an upgrade available almost Instantly. Take and record measurements.

You’d have the two test environments available in 5 or 6 minutes without having to wait for a 2am check.

5 Likes