Hub Mesh

My experience so far is that they are finicky to reconnect after a reboot or power failure. I don't understand the logic there. Timing, etc.

On that note, Support says my C4 has a hardware failure. Not sure what indicators they saw, but hopefully the C7 in the mix will help. I'll relegate C4 to super crazy experiments.

That 3-year-old could be reconfiguring the hub pretty soon!

Ditto...Just kind of jumped in. I am seeing these:

But they aren't stopping anything from working that I can tell....

I'm not seeing this error, but my motion sensors are on the hub with all of the ML rules.

The fact that your hub administration access should have a password?

Honestly don't quite understand your point? With hub connect you need to go onto the app and select the device and share it too the hub, install the driver and your done. With hub mesh you still have to go into the hub, but go to the mesh page and select the device and create it. The only difference between the two is that with mesh you don't need a driver and it moved the whole device information over. Alot simpler, but either way you have to go into the hub a d share a device. Both ways are restrictive is each other?

The only way to stop a device being created by, I assume someone else? Is to put a password on your hub.

Also a note with hub connect your not saying this device ONLY go there to that hub. That's not how it works, the message are coming from the hub no matter what, when you create a device it just puts that information into a device. So in effect you are all ready sharing all you devices to all of your hubs.

I'm not 100% sure on this but, but I don't think hub mesh uses the same mechanism, so that message doesn't exist until you share it too mesh mesh. So if that bit is true actually mesh is more selective than hub connect.

Yep me to.
Great app.
I would like to thank the publishers of Hubconnect though as this has been a great addition for me.
Time to move on though unless I decide to resurrect ST.

2 Likes

I think you're missing the fact that HC has a very specific hub-to-hub association. Not a one-to-many configuration.

1 Like

Hub mesh seems to be working excellently for me too. I have webcore running all my automations on one hub and all my devices on another hub. Hub mesh was so simple to set up and all my automations seem to work much faster than when everything was on a single hub.
A very happy user at the moment. This update seemed to have ironed out all my problems.
Well done everyone that worked so hard to make this possible.

2 Likes

Hub Mesh working great here as well, with 4 Hubs. I really appreciate not having to keep track of/check for updates for individual drivers, the way I had to with HC. UI is very nice, and the "follow another hub's mode changes" feature really simplified things for me. :+1:

1 Like

Does this new hub mesh affect zigbee routing between the two or more hubs?

No. Just replicates devices from one hub to another.

This is running great so far. My only complaint so is the name and the potential for confusing people that it is similar to Zigbee/ZWave mesh. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love that the shared devices show the driver that the actual device is using on the Devices Table and that the Device Edit page of shared devices is a read-only version of actual device's page.

Thanks for the info

Yes for the hub to hub connection for ofline online. Not for the devices them selves no. It is all out there for any of the hubs to grab if you pick them. It just looks like it's device from hub A to hub B but not to C. But that's not what is happening, hub C is just not reacting to that device.

1 Like

Maybe someone might have the answer for this.

I have a RM GV with a variable connector that i have shared via hub mesh.
It appears on the second hub and i can go into the device and set the variable and it shows up on the first hub.

My problem is i can't seem to figure out how to set it from an RM on the second hub.
When i select Set Variable, the Hub Mesh'ed GVs do not show up.

Previously using Hubconnect i had to Run a custom action and pick a contact, and then set an attribute, but i can't figure out how to do it with hub mesh.

It's not a variable to RM installed on the second hub. It is a device, and you can set the device. It's only a variable for the RM on the original hub.

Hub Mesh shares devices between hubs, not apps.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying Bruce.

So I could use run custom actions and set an attribute if I knew what device type it was being brought over as.

Or are you telling me it’s not possible to set the string from RM?

1 Like

Use actuator or sensor as appropriate for the device capability selector, for a String variable. For the others, use the obvious device capability. Then Custom Action will reveal the available Set Variable command for the connector device.

2 Likes

Thank you again.

I hunt around but I guess I have up to easily.

Note: when I tried with a switch, I found the list of available switches was repeated in the drop down 9 or 10 times.

I will have to go back in to verify. Maybe a chrome thing.

1 Like

Actuator ... boom !!

That was my last thing to get figured out after switching from Hubconnect.

Thanks for making my night.

3 Likes