Hub Mesh

You look to be correct. I did try setting up a virtual switch on a seperate hub duplicating a device ID from my production hub. When restoring a piston to my test hub the device still didn't match up so my idea doesn't look like it works. webCoRE may have it's own internal way of mapping devices.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a way to only share certain devices from one hub to another, while still sharing more/different devices to a separate hub? I don't want every hub having full control of each device, as some hubs are less secure than others, with roommates having access, etc.

Hub 1.
Make Local Device A B C D available.

Hub 2.
Make Remote Device A B C available from remote Hub 1.

Hub 3.
Make Remote Device C D available from remote hub 1.
Make any devivce available that you want on any hub and then select where you want to use it.

Is this what you mean. Or something like it. Because this can be done.

1 Like

I don't see a way (currently) to share a device with only certain other hubs. Might be a nice future enhancement.

As a workaround, you could set up virtual devices on the less-secure hubs for the devices you want them to be able to control, and share those back to your secure hub and use a "mirror" app (or RM rules) to have your device follow the virtual ones.

Yeah it seems HubConnect is best for this use-case for now. For my own personal hubs, Mesh is definitely easier, and we'll see about overhead/reliability.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this.
You can share any device to any hub on the same LAN. You can be as selective as you like. (Not ST of course).

Hub A -> Hub B
Device 1
Device 2
Device 3

Hub A -> Hub C
Device 3
Device 1, and 2 specifically unavailable to add. IE do not trust the kids' hub to have access to master bedroom door lock, etc.

I see no way to accomplish this so far.

Once you share device 3 to the mesh it is available to be created on any of the other hubs. So just go to hub c and select device 3 and create?

Yeah what @BorrisTheCat said. On Hub A share out 1,2,3. On Hub B, add 1,2,3. On Hub C only add 3. Easy.

Meaning...that once you share OUT from a hub...not all hubs automatically create those devices. You then have to go into the other hub and "create" the devices. Now every hub on the LAN can SEE that they are available to be created...but that's it...until you check the box and click create.

This part...the ones that are greyed out are because I already linked them....if they are available but not linked...you will be able to place a checkmark there.

On another note...anyone else playing with this yet? I moved some things over and mostly everything seems to be working. I'm getting some odd errors with Apps that use the linked devices (including built in apps) but the apps seem to be working. The implementation is super easy.

Not sure what you mean by "sync" as that can have different meanings..but yes...I'd call this sync.

1 Like

So what exactly prevents Hub C from adding any device that's being broadcasted by Hub A? IE, devices I don't want Hub C to have access to?

Nothing! You are correct. But they are not added automatically. You have to go into Hub Mesh and add it.

Yeah, so in the case of wanting to lock down the sharing, you must use HC for now, it seems.

Yes. If you want to prevent other authorized hub accounts from adding specific devices that are already shared on another hub - you can't do that with hub mesh.

1 Like

If you are worrying about your roommates doing that, they can almost as easily do it with HubConnect with just a couple of extra steps.

1 Like

This would be nice.

Wouldn't it require access to the primary hub to specifically pull the device in question? If it's not shared to roommate hub via HC, it seems more locked down than mesh, at this point.

1 Like

I'm married to one of my roommates and the other two are 3 and 1 year old so I don't have any lockdowns. I could very well be wrong. :grinning:

I didn't know privileges could be done by hub. I thought it was all or nothing. My apologies.

3 Likes

That’s what I mean by syncing modes! Thanks.

I have completely transitioned from HubConnect to Hub Mesh and am loving it. My hubs were running very well, but are noticeably faster now. I haven’t seen any new errors other than some weird Alexa integration errors that I’ve not seen before.

3 Likes