Hub discovery isn't working [Fixed]

it is...
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS908E)

Ok - here's what you do:

Does that switch let you set port speed? It must, it is a managed switch. Set the port speed for the Hubitat to be 100 mbps and see if it works.

BTW, always shutdown the Hubitat using the menu (and not by pulling the power cord out).

Edit: if it does, then follow these directions from @bobbyD

Thank you. I'll try it in a bit, doing my inital porting of wink to Hubitat right now. 100+ devices to port over. I'll try moving the hub to the switch after, and if its not working, try setting the port speed.

1 Like

Good luck! Couple important suggestions:

1. Please add your line-powered z-wave and zigbee devices before adding the battery-powered ones.
  2. Add line-powered devices in the order of their distance from the Hubitat Elevation (closest devices first).

Good to know. I don't current have any line powered zigbee or zwave device, only Lutron Clear Connect (Serena wired shades) and some Quirky spotters, which I assume are dead now. All my zigbee/zwave stuff is battery powered (motion and contact sensors)

Ahh - let me urge you to read these two documents before you add your devices:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Quirky Spotters will not work with Hubitat.

Thanks I'll read them over. I figured on the Quirky spotters. I'll probably eventually replace them with Aeotec Multi 3 and 6

The Multisensor6 is on the official compatible device list. The 3 isn't. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it is a good idea to double check the compatible device list before any purchases ....

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

I would advise HIGHLY against this. Forcing the speed on the switch will likely result in a slew of CRC errors being introduced between the hub and switch, potentially causing all sorts of random issues on your network.

The fix that kicks in after 24 hours resolves the link speed issues without introducing CRC errors. You can also use the manual address to force the fix on the hub. It resolves the issue as well.

I have the switch in question and although I had zero issues with portal detection I did have the negotiation issue and noted manual speed setting resulted in instant crcs

Did you read my entire post? Or just the first sentence?

I read the entire thing.... No where do you mention it having the potential to cause network problems if he manually sets it and leaves it so I felt it needed mentioning.

Not sure why you feel the need to question my comprehension... Just because your an "ambassador" doesn't mean you know it all or have personal experience with every issue.... As someone with this specific switch and experiences with its potential issues I do, So I added my RELEVANT experience and knowledge to the discussion.

I did nothing to imply your advice was bad, and even backed up the rest of what you said.... But I guess my disagreement on the one thing makes anything I say worthless huh?

I specifically directed the OP to test if setting the port speed worked, and if it did, to follow Hubitat's instructions.

I'm sorry you didn't get that.

After initial discovery (connected directly to router) I was able to mode the Hubitat hub to the switch, I gave it a reserved IP just for good measure, and everything seems to be working fine.

You specifically told him to do something KNOWN to cause issues with his hardware combo...

Im sorry if you didnt get that.

This is also incorrect. There are community members who can only get their HE online by setting port speed. Please follow the link I posted above for one such example.

Edit: Here's the relevant link ....

Actually it is correct and your ignorance and insistence it inst doesn't make that true. The specific switch he mentioned DOES have issues with the HE if used in non auto mode. We aren't talking about any other combos....

I'm not insisting anything. And if you know that particular managed switch has issues with Hubitat, you should add it to the Wiki.

thanks @aaiyar I'm going to go ahead and unfollow this thread, as I have no tolerance for uncivil folks on foums!

1 Like

Wow you live in your own special little reality dont you? You've literally spent the last 30 minutes on and off insisting i was wrong and you were right, then when you realize that GASP you are wrong, instead of apologize for the attitude you deny insisting you were right and then basically blame me for your lack of knowledge about this hardware combo....

No point in adding it to the wiki... I'm not an ambassador or dev or ■■■ kiss, anything I add is instantly removed. I've tried to add to it.

No idea what you're going on about. But if you're enjoying it - keep at it. I'm out.