Hub Crashes every night, Last ditch effort on Support

that is a good idea
to test your zigbee/zwave disable the radio in settings maybe 1 one night and then the other the next to determine if it is a device and if so, then you would have to remove 1 device at time or get a Xbee3 to look at the zigbee mesh or a zwave device to look at the zwave mesh.

2 Likes

Great idea. He could even try doing a manual backup and see if that crashes the hub. If it does, he could disable one radio, then the other, to see if the result changes. I'm just thinking of batteries needing replaced after an entire night in panic mode.

1 Like

So I made 3 changes and I will test them tonight.

1. I did a soft reset and loaded from backup.
  2. I use DynamicDNS, the hub is still reachable at all times by the IP but I can also access it by a DNS name, I went ahead a disabled that incase there is some issue with that setup.
  3. I disabled auto negotiate in the networking options suggested by another user.

I did do a time zone change earlier to test option 1 and 2 and it didnt crash, but the hub has been offline for most of the day, so I need a full day test will report back.

Thanks for everyone help so far.

3 Likes

No Crash last night, and the hub seems to be functioning fine. I am going to leave it alone all day today and see if it crashes tonight. If it does not crash I am going to turn back on the Dynamic DNS and Auto Negotiate to see if one of those was the actual cause or if the soft reset/restore fixed it.

2 Likes

Alright, Another night without a crash. Im going to start turning back on features daily and loading apps back in. I will update if I can determine if one of the fixes actually worked or if it was the soft reset.

Please explain what you mean above. Are you saying that you’ve exposed your hub to the internet via port forwarding on your router? If so, I would strongly recommend you avoid doing so. Instead, use a VPN solution to allow remote access to home network. The Hubitat hub is not a device that I feel is ready to stand up to the ingenuity of the Internet’s hackers.

2 Likes

No its not exposed to the internet as I am not using port forwarding. So it can be accessed via a subdomain hubitat.whatever.xyz only when im on my local network.

3 Likes

Just want to follow up, Turned the Dynamic DNS back on and the auto negotiate to true and still no crash. My assumption is the soft reset restore from database fixed the issue as of right now. I have yet to load a bunch of user created apps but I have started creating tiles with tile master and yet to have any issues. I will continue to update if it happens again.

THANKS Everyone for all the help and suggestions!

14 Likes

Another satisfied customer!

Something I try when all else seems to fail is simply leaving something alone for a while to sort itself out. That's worked more times than you'd expect!

My C7 has been crashing every day as well. and I'm not able to login to soft reset, so has been doing the unplug all the time.

tried 8081 port, with all different cases as password, still can't login.
(with :, without, uppercase, lowercase of the mac address)

Have you contacted support @bobbyD and lodged a ticket ?

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me. I just sent him a PM with logs.

Your logging into Hubitat IP address:8081?
For a soft reset, if for example the MAC address is 34:E1:D1:80:66:01, you have to enter 34E1D1806601.

Actually, the Diag Tool will take a colon delimited MAC address. I copy and paste it from my routers DHCP table all of the time... lowercase works fine as well.

Sounds like he needs to update his Diagnostics tool... @bobby had a url he posted somewhere that can help with that... IF the LED on the hub is green, not stuck on blue...IIRC.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Thank you for correcting me. I have been pasting it and removing the colons all this time :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Does it accept it both ways?

Yes

3 Likes

Instructions to update the Diag tool are at the end of this doc
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Diagnostic_Tool

3 Likes