Hub Crashes every night, Last ditch effort on Support

There will be, it's not released yet.
Backups are not triggered by the cloud, the are scheduled locally.

16 Likes

Great news.

Alright great information so far,

My dashboards are basically empty they have yet to be rebuilt since all this started so I am removing those I will also try to eliminate all power reporting options and will test tonight.

As for the model its the Rev C-5.

1 Like

To give additional indications of where to go with this, how about this question?

EDIT: I know there are a lot of questions in this thread, but if you can answer some more even if they may feel like repeat questions we might even find a direction to go from here. Everything has a reason, even though it is hard to debug without all information, we can all give it a go.
As for cloud devices/integrations (like weather services) do you have any that generate large amounts of events every day?

3 Likes

Alright, So there has been a little change today, now I am able to access the the 8081 management which was previously not accessible. Still the same crash at the same time and all the rules stop functioning.

As for questions.

Log size, Where can this be viewed at, as of right now my database backup size is 7.71MB

No weather devices,

As for events, Yes I have multiple devices with over 1000 events. I have a fair bit of sensors, I am still trying to go thru each device and reduce the logging, its a annoying process.

I use hubitat package manager but it was installed on the most recent rebuild it wasnt on when this started.

And yes I am on the latest firmware.

That is not a large database (mine hovers around 22MB), so you really will not have an insane amount of events in there unless they are all basically the same and the compression of the backup hides the fact that they are in there?

The actual logs don't go into the database, they're separate text files on the hub and are truncated at 250kb from what staff has said in the past. The impact on hub performance from logs is minimal, if any. Since I develop drivers I run many of my devices with an insane level of logging, probably generating 250kb of logs in 2 hours or less, I have no performance or crash issues due to this.

So far from what you are reporting it there is nothing pointing in a specific direction, yet. There is a device data cleanup that starts sometime just after 2.05AM (I checked more carefully last night, this is the timing I came up with) and can run for 10-15 minutes from what I have experienced uploading code at that time. I have a build-script that sends all changed drivers to the hub one after each-other, normally 30 drivers take 40-50 seconds or so, around this time it can take 5 minutes or more.

Have you tried putting your hub on a different network switch? I know this is a long-shot but some hubs have had crazy amounts of CRC errors (if you have a smart switch, check for those). This in combination with heavy load due to scheduled tasks and other things we don't know about how the hubs internals work could (though not likely) cause an issue such as this.

From my understanding you have done a complete reset and as such DB corruption should not be the issue, but you could download a backup and run a SOFT reset followed by DB restore and a complete shutdown and restart. I'll be happy to continue to run through other possible issues, but so far there are no strong indications of anything in any direction except the cloud connections you have already disabled.

Except he keeps constantly power cycling this with a WiFi plug according to his first post.

1 Like

True, time for downloading all backups and a Soft Reset then. Now that port 8081 seems to be working now need to power cycle. Good to do to at least eliminate this as a contributing factor.

2 Likes

Yah it went down again tonight after reducing the events, so I really dont think that is the issue.

Im going to try tonight to put it on a different network switch, if that doesn't work than Im going to plug it in directly at the modem and bypass the stack.

I really dont understand what else it could be but im probably going to have to look at another controller to at least keep the important things up and running while I try to figure this out.

Have you tried this yet?

1 Like

I just performed a soft reset with and loaded with a backup, having the hub on a new switch did not resolve the issue. I am going to changes its IP and see if that fixes it.

have you deleted all the apps from the hub as a test?
(you can just restore them from a backup if that does not fix it)
If the hub does not lock up after 1-2 days then you will know it is an app.
Are you running node-red?

Yes, Ive completely removed every app and driver and started fresh, and even day 1 with no apps installed and all my devices back on the network it still crashed.

I wanted to test the soft reset option is there an easy way to change my time without updating my PC time?

If it crashes with nothing other than in-box apps/drivers you likely have defective hardware.

I would try to get Hubitat to replace it.

3 Likes

Ive Tried, I was told that its not a hardware issue and is a software issue. I was thinking about purchasing my own replacement

Yeah, I'd agree that if it's a barebones install with no user generated drivers and no apps installed, it's not software.

If it is, it's Hubitat's software...

Wow ! Really sorry to hear that.
With resets still occurring with only an empty, reset Hub and its power supply, surely that’s an valid RMA case ?

My last reply with them said its a known issue and has been forwarded to the engineering team but i just dont understand how or why its only happening to me.

1 Like

I think that response is the default response for “this is beyond what support can handle” I have gotten that response one or two time for different issues/enhancements/vulnerabilities sent to support

1 Like

Was that before or after you tried it with only in-box code? I had a defective C-5 hub that I got replaced by Hubitat. They did make me try it with no user code first, but once it locked up with (in my case) no apps running at all they generously replaced it.

1 Like