Hub (C8) freezing at night

At my wits end here. On random nights, and only at night, my hub freezes - I can’t access via the app or webpage, I need to physically unplug it. The log is giving me nothing … just regular activities and then nothing. Doesn’t seem like it’s the exact same time every night from what I can tell, nor does there seem to be a common event/device that precedes the freeze.

I just see something like this;

[dev:1805]2023-10-01 07:44:39.087 AM[info]route info- Destination:This Hub, Next Hop:This Hub, Status:Inactive

[dev:1751]2023-10-01 03:59:38.956 AM[info]Master Bath Motion motion became inactive

I’ve removed apps, turned off as many scheduled activities as I can and no change.

How do I even start troubleshooting this?

Do you have any unfi stuff? It it connected via wifi or hard wired?

What platform is it on?

When are your backups done?

Do you have jumbo frames enabled on the network?

Have you done a soft reset?

Can you get to yourhubip:8081 ?

1 Like

To pile on one more question, this is a very important one though. Can you access the diagnostic tool when it locks up? Instructions: Hubitat Diagnostic Tool | Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

I don’t have any unifi stuff. My network is an Eero mesh, in bridge mode. All nodes other than one are hardwired, as is my HE hub. Wi-Fi is also set up and enabled on the HE hub. Most network devices, including the HE hub have an assigned IP address in a reserved range. My router is a TP link, that provides all network network services, nothing from my ISP. My HE hub is updated to the latest public release. I was actually forced to do a soft reset last week as I had a power outage and the database was corrupted but this problem was happening prior to that so I don’t think it’s the cause. Certainly able to do that again if necessary. Not sure about jumbo frames, but given the time that it’s happening I don’t think network congestion could be the issue?

I also turned off the automated backups as I did notice those were scheduled at around the same time - or at least at night.

As for getting to the hub, it’s unresponsive via the IP address, and that includes diagnostic mode. Admittedly when it’s happening I don’t have a lot of time to troubleshoot as the dogs need to go out and HSM is presumably armed.

One thing that I found on another thread is perhaps Zwave ghost devices? I did do a migration from C7 to C8 in the last six months, and also moved houses where I could potentially see Zwave devices that are not currently active. But not sure how to track those down. If I look at the graph there’s nothing that seems to be on its own. I’ve done a repair multiple times.

Can you post your z-wave details page in its entirety? (Use windows snip)

When the hub is unresponsive, what color is the light on the hub?

1 Like

Pick one or the other not both. Eero mesh doing overnight wifi optimization has been known to knock the hub offline.

If hub is hard wired most common networking issue is jumbo frames multicast packets hitting the hub interface.

3 Likes

Admittedly it’s been the morning panic with the alarm on. I think probably green or off … anything else I would have noticed

I was under the impression if hardwired was connected, wifi would be disabled, but easy enough to disconnect. Will try that.

On my router, MTU is set to 1492, which is the default?

Will do, but limited to my iPad ATM. I’m seeing some entries like the below … no name, no routing. I have 3 sirens, but they’re all listed elsewhere in the table - so this seems to be a ghost? Doesn’t seem to want to be removed …

The one with discover next to it is a ghost. Click refresh and then remove. It may take a couple of tries. I could not imagine working off of an ipad or a phone to do this. Using a pc makes life so much easier.

Honestly … in Toronto and we’re have a resurgence of summer. Trying to take advantage and sitting out on the deck … :wink:

It is pretty unlikely one ghost node is causing the entire hub to lock up?

Yes that is safe. There is also a chance it is a client if you have any NAS devices or servers it is possible they have Jumbo Frames enabled. Especially on a NAS it is a popular setting. There was a case where a NAS/Server was doing some sort of overnight maintenance or backup and that was causing the hub to go offline, probably due to some sort of multicast jumbo frames. I think they either segregated that device or found how to turn off the JF.

I thought of one other thing as well, do you have the hub hard wired directly to the router or into one of the mesh nodes? I know that has come up before and was possibly causing some problems. I know for sure the Eero mesh has come up multiple times with people having issues, might be worth a search on the forums.

@derek1 did you get this issue resolved? If so, what was the solution?

I started having similar issue... hub freeze every 1-2 day overnight. Also use eero routers. Not sure where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If OP does not have any tips for you, please see this post below, create a new topic and answer as many questions as possible from the READ FIRST post

1 Like

I seem to have. After a couple suggestions from some community members I looked into my Zwave tables and found quite a few ghost devices. I’ve moved, upgraded and there were just these remnants left that I couldn’t get rid of. I ended up resetting my Zwave radio and repairing everything very carefully. Fingers crossed I haven’t had an unexplained lock up since.

1 Like