How to use Room Lights for Groups

I agree it shouldn't, but yet here we are because the group won't properly report back by design. More complicated on the app side I'm sure, but reporting the average of the group would easily solve the issue. I also have some older switches that don't always seem to be on top of it and some non zwave devices that don't always update their status properly through the driver.

Reducing network traffic is a good reason though, I hadn't suspected it was that significant, or potentially problematic.

Am I using groups incorrectly? The way I had used them before RL was to put lights together that I wanted control of together, but wanted to be able to update devices within without going back through all the apps to include additional lights, especially as I was updating switches over time.

I don't think so and I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to use them. It's more about understanding the limitations and working through them based on what you want to do.

Another alternative is to change your group to a scene. That RL instance would then track the settings of the individual devices. So, for your "Dusk Scene", you would just turn on the activator device and let the level be set by "Yard Flood Grp". That would allow you to manipulate the individual devices and also have them sync up when "Dusk Scene" is activated or just by turning the activator device on. Just remove the "activate as group" and set this activator option:

Then, in Dusk Scene change the device type to switch. I think that should do it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.