How to use Room Lights for Groups

Probably it does. But, for the uses it is put to I think you'd be hard pressed to find any performance difference. The differences are probably very small, not something you'd notice, and it's not like you're turning lights on/off at a fast clip.

By all means, go on using Group-2.1...

Room Lights seems to work noticeably faster for me, particularly to see the first change.

2 Likes

Not just this quoted part, but the entire write up is really good. Thank you for summarizing. I do not have this option enabled currently but this sounds perfect.

Is there an option for "command mixed devices" like in original groups app or is that now automatic?

It is automatic now.

So one more time just to confirm. I setup temperatures, levels, and schedules in the light group's table. Then setup room lighting for that room to control the light group within the room and let RL check the lighting and color profile based on the groups table?

i.e.:
Kitchen Lights RL uses motion sensor as activator to control Kitchen Fan Group which has each bulb's respective color/temp per schedule set here within the group's table. Is this how you properly use RL app?

I've attached a photo of what I believe is correctly setup RL with my WIZ wifi bulbs. Can someone please confirm if my group activator options are defined correctly? That I select Don't use Zigbee Group commands since it's wifi bulbs? And that I must select Indicator to Group Any On for each group.

I don't think this exists, at least not that I can find... but, is there a "means to activate by mode" options?

I have a room lighting app that controls bedroom lights based on motion from 2 motions sensors (because there are both 2 doors to the room). During the evening, it turns on multiple lights, but at night, I only want to to turn on one light, and red.

Previously, I had 2 rules to do this, one for the evening (uses both sensors), and then one for night (only uses one sensor).

I can consolidate them into one rule except for the ability to "ignore" one sensor based on the mode... Any thoughts on adding a "activate by mode" option?

I think there's a certain point where things would get too messy in RL and this is probably one of those, but I'll leave it for the HE folks to decide. In the meantime, you can certainly do this by creating an activator device for the RL instance and using that in a Basic or RM rule like you want. Just be sure you do not have the "activate as a group" option enabled on the RL instance and only turn the lights on/off through the rule. That will allow you to manage the light settings with the RL table.

There is such a Means to Activate.

The question was about the ability to have different activation options based on mode.

Right, that doesn't exist, nor will it.

@bravenel , is it incorrect to set up room lighting with just the group selected as the device to automate? Something like this:

I see that I can re-do my room lighting your way, but if I do that then I don't see any metering controls in the Room Light options (which I use in my regular Group config).
Thanks.

Metering isn't needed anymore, as the radio stacks now have proper flow control. It was a kludge to begin with, and should never have been needed.

Thanks for that insight, @bravenel. When was metering obviated? It seemed to make a difference for me as of 5-6 months ago.

So is my room lighting setup incorrect, or will it lead to conflicts, race conditions, etc.? Should I change it to be the way you intended?

That was 2.3.2 released in early June.

You didn't show enough to tell. What are you trying to do, in English?

Turn on Light A and Light B at sunset, turn off at sunrise. No other conditions for this automation.
I already have Lights A and B in a group.

Perhaps you could just import that Group into Room Lighting. Once you do that, just add the Means to Activate and Means to Turn Off. Then you'd only have a single app instead of two.

1 Like

After a couple of days of playing with this, I don't see RL as a substitute for Groups. I'm having issues with all devices within a RL respond (don't turn on consistently). Also, in my dashboard, the RL button stays "on" even when the RL is turned off. I don't know if there are bugs in the RL app, or maybe certain design decisions that don't align with the old groups, but I'm going back until it's fixed.

How do you have the Indicator option set?