How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

Hubitat's C3, C4, and C5 all use an SDK that allows S0 capable devices to be joined without security if the device itself allows that. Barrier devices obviously don't allow no-security.

SiLab's PC Controller software continues to use the serial interface their chips have. 300 series, 500 series and 700 series all have the same serial interface available. As a result, even 700 series USB Sticks don't use the SDK that forces/requires S0 bootstrap to S2.

Therefore, including a S0 capable device as security: none, via PC Controller software is pretty much the same as doing it on the C5.... mostly because it's the same serial interface for both.

3 Likes

The issue I recently encountered was also pairing with "no security" for S2 devices as well - at least for some devices like the Zooz Zen23 & 24. Choosing "skip" at the popup does not allow me to pair with "no security" only "S2 unauthenticated".

I'm still on Hub firmware 2.2.8.156 right now.. so don't know if the selections have changed any.

1 Like

EDIT I never tired this, but I am wondering if it might have helped get a successful Inclusion to the hub.

I've been having similar issues with the Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2.

In the instructions for the device it says this:

SerialAPI-Mode: Allowing a Host Processor To Take Control of the Z-Stick and Take Part in the Z-Wave Network.

Note:

To initiate SerialAPI-Mode, plug Z-Stick into the USB connector of the host (i.e. PC, MAC, or Gateway).

1. While in SerialAPI-mode, Z-Stick is always listening (it is awake and always in RX receive mode) for instructions and acts as a Z-Wave adapter and responds to commands sent through USB by the host processor software.

2. Pressing the Action Button will not have any effect while in SerialAPI- Mode. But short pressing the Reset Button will reset the USB port.

Should I be using this proceedure to get it to pair?

It just gets to "Found Z-Wave device with id 47, initializing..." and then sits there when the inclusion mode times out.

However, in the PC Controller I can see all my devices

I said "screw it", let's keep going and see what happens.

I removed power from the devices in question, selected one at a time from the list and hit "Is Failed" in the PC Controller software. They came back red immediately, and then "Remove Failed" and they were gone.

Now the only "ghost" I have left is the UZB stick, and I know I can unplug it from the computer, and use "Repair" and then "Remove" on the Z-Wave details page to get it out of the system.

3 Likes

I've also used general exclusion on the hub as well and put the stick in "learn mode" / NWE... then rebooted.

1 Like

I never tried to exclude the stick, it just showed up in my Z-Wave details as a "ghost" but still seemed to work fine.

Yeah as long as you see the devices in PCS then you should be good to go.. the hub side is not really relevant as there is nothing not much you can do with the device on that side anyway..

2 Likes

More ghost fun! I learned the hard way that when doing inclusion of zStick (that always sticks at "initializing device xx") it may work - but it DOES make the zStick a ghost itself. If you factory reset your zStick it will NOT let you connect again - finds the device and sticks at initializing, but never lets you join/control the network.

So I got a new UZB stick - it too sticks at initializing, but it did let me join/control the network and I was able to exclude the zStick - yea!

In the How-To guide it clearly says do not remove nodes 1-5 as they are part of the hub. I think this may not be true in my case. I have devices that appear to be ghosts of physical devices - they are NOT named Virtual Node as in the guide. And I have a ton of Virtual Nodes from 192-200. My suspicion is when I migrated to this C7 it put the Virtual Nodes at the next higher number from the high count in the DB - maybe. In any case, I believe my nodes 2, 4, and 5 can/should be deleted. Thoughts?

These questions are getting over my paygrade, unfortunately.

@erktrek, @bcopeland, @csteele - any thoughts to share on this?

So that certainly used to be true that HE "reserved" those nodes but maybe that has changed over subsequent firmware updates or due to migration.. My C-7 is showing nodes 2-5 as virtual but also 73-76 (suspect those are for my secondary controller). Virtual nodes are created by the SDK for bridging and migration purposes according to the docs I've read but I'm quickly getting out of my depth with all that fun stuff.

If those nodes are in fact actual devices then yes you are correct you should be able to mess with them as needed.

1 Like

The 700 series reserves the first 5 node addresses for itself. A secondary 700 series also seems to reserve 4 virtual nodes near to its primary node number. In my case, I have a secondary at Node 96 and 4 virtuals using nodes 90-93.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.21.29 AM

Which is matching the ZWave list in Hubitat:

In general, I'd leave virtual nodes alone.

4 Likes

The odd thing is it appears that @DarellCraighead does not have those reserved according to his screencap. I was wondering if they got relocated due to a migration or whatever.

In my case the stick currently connected is a Z-Stick+ which is not a 700 series and yet I have 5 additional virtual nodes.. maybe that is unrelated though.

This stuff makes my head spin sometimes... :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Then my next WAG is: it's the Primary 700, in its role as SIS, that is seeing a Controller request a node (during join) and reserving the virtuals.

2 Likes

That SUCs... :rofl:

3 Likes

I see what you did there.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah sorry - actually I guess it does NOT SUC..

1 Like

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the thoughts on this - I kind of left it all hanging there. With all the "oddities" I had been seeing and the virtual nodes not being 2-5 and a host of other things, I decided to soft reset that C7 and started over - manually adding back in 60+ Z-Wave devices. Made it "easier" having all my automations running on my C5 - just had to add them back in to things.

After the reset - things appear as expected with virtual nodes at 2-5 and other issues with that hub mostly settled down. (Was losing network, but believe that may have been physical now.)

1 Like

Ouch - yeah I have been there and done that (several times sigh)... I think it's part of some super secret Hubitat Inc initiation rites that the staff doesn't tell you about until it's too late - so, uh, you passed.. welcome to the DEEPER rabbit hole! :hole:

1 Like

Um, soft reset doesn’t take the devices out of the Z-Wave radio, it only wipes out the database that sits above the platform. You have to reset the Z-Wave radio to remove the devices from there. It’s possible that you still have, or have left, ghost devices on the radio.

1 Like