How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

So I'm back on this....
I joined the stick using NWI (the include page stays saying "Found Z-Wave device with id 36, initializing..."), hit update, and rebooted the hub.
I still see

in Z wave details and nothing in devices.
(tried this whole process twice, in case I'd messed up).
Still all the nodes are showing on the PC - so as suggested above by @bcopeland , maybe this doesn't matter...
I tried adding a further device using the PC - it added perfectly to the network there it would seem, but again it failed to appear in HE (despite hitting update on the PC).

So I tried @erktrek idea of creating a virtual device with a matching DNI, typing in the hex value with no "0x" on the front. HE gives a warning about clashing with Z wave, but it doesn't work I'm afraid, so I still seem to be totally stuck,......

Generally a good idea to trust @bcopeland in all things Z-Wave. :slight_smile:

So you see the device you added in PC Controller, but it doesn't show up in HE in either the Z-Wave Details page (would be the last device in the list) or on your Devices page, correct?

1 Like

Sorry misread the post - thought they were talking about the stick itself..

So the DNI swap out thing did not work for the device trying to be added? I was not referring to the stick but the device being paired with no security..

(hope I'm understanding the issue! :crazy_face: )

1 Like

Indeed - here's the bottom of my Z wave details list in HE:

and here's the list on the laptop:

The stick is device (decimal) 54, the new added dimmer is 55.
both are within 2 meters of the HE.

@erktrek - maybe I spoke too soon - having left it a while, to an extent, the DNI swap has worked.... with a big "however".
The device is clearly communicating, and I can see the current state and event history correctly in the device details page within HE.
HOWEVER.... I can't control it from the HE, and it doesn't show up in the Z Wave details table (as shown in the screenshot above). It also doesn't show up in the topology view (though neither does the stick).
I suspect that the using the virtual device creation is fine for creating the device, but there's more stuff needed to be created that isn't happening.

I feel like I'm getting something wrong in the inclusion process for the stick. I strongly suspect that I'm getting some of the settings wrong - remembering ( I think it was in this thread I pointed this out!) that I haven't been able to change the region as that part is greyed out:

what else can I doing wrong?

(thanks for all the help - I'm determined to crack this!!)

There is a lot to unpack here so apologies if I continue to miss some stuff.. I am a little confused..

I thought that you got a dup error when trying to change the DNI.. Not sure why it would not show on the Z-Wave details page if it exists.. I'm a little nervous about the DNI swap thing.. it's not something I've done regularly or in this particular case at all. Suggest you remove the device if you can. You might change the DNI to something random first then remove. After that I would do a Soft Reset (leave the stick connected) then see where you are..

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

I don't think pairing the secondary controller is the issue if you can see the HE devices.

You might end up with a (55) ghost node.. or a blank device (the switch) back in the Z-Wave details page with 0x37 (55).

Missed that you wanted to change the region but could not. What region are you in?

UK, so ought to be set to EU for a bet

@erktrek I got a warning suggesting it wasn't a good idea to use a number as the DNI, as it could clash with z wave, but not an error.
It does half work, but I too am worried by it!
I'll try your steps to reverse out of it.
What does the stuff l soft reset do that a reboot doesn't?
If I really have to, I can do a hard reset, but that'll lose me around a day's work digging devices or of walls to pair them.... (Many aren't wired back to a switch)

Interesting...no one has reported that option being unavailable, but no idea how frequently it's been used/tried. Looks like Network Statistics is also greyed out, that should be available as well.

Mine looks like below - are there other features that aren't availble besides Transmit Settings and Network Statistics? @bcopeland - any input on why @jamesxheath would not be able to access Transmit Settings to change his region? And will being set to the wrong region (default AFAIK is US) explain some of his problems?

1 Like

Yeah that is strange - mine is the same as yours.

1 Like

If it’s a standard SiLabs UZB 700 series he should be able to.. No 500 series is software selectable

Sure will.. Won’t do much of anything if it’s on the wrong region

2 Likes

So if his UZB stick is a 500 series and its region is set on the stick to EU, then it should not matter that he can't access the Region setting, as PC Controller app should respect the setting on the stick. Hope that that makes sense. IRRC @jamesxheath purchased his stick from an EU vendor which I would hope would mean that it's set for the EU region...

1 Like

But the stick has connected to the Hub.. as evidence of the devices listings in the PC Controller SW. They have also been able to pair a device using the stick. I would assume you wouldn't even get that far given the different frequencies.

1 Like

Yup, that makes sense. So Region ain't our issue, it seems. Red herring...

you both beat me typing!
The stick is an Aeotec gen5, purchased in UK.
I'd think it has to be EU, as we use a different frequency for z wave than the US.
Those are the only two settings greyed out.

2 Likes

Yup - just updated the FAQ to include this important info.

1 Like

I've removed the virtual device I created successfully from HE and from the stick.
I've also tried using the stick on it's own to add the device - it's got a battery and a button -it did the exclude and the include nicely to itself (as the 2ndary controller) but again failed to create anything within HE.
I do note that every time I make any of these attempts, the DNI goes up by one, meaning that I have some large gaps in the numbering - but I don't think that should be an issue? (I'm pretty sure I recall that behaviour on SmartThings)

Something else I've just spotted - when I press "update" after including the dimmer, the logs show:

If the network update is failing, that can't be good?
someone else reported that they found the update necessary to make the device show in HE.....

Scratch that.
It failed twice, but I thought I'd try again and it worked:

but the device did not appear in HE.

Did you try to do a Z-Wave pairing in HE? Sometimes it will pop up. Also there is no device in the Z-Wave details?

Another question you probably already answered - how are you doing the device (not stick) inclusion? Via the NWI button?

To pair the stick I was launching inclusion in HE then in the PC controller using "select learn mode" > NWI
The stick always shows in Z wave details, the dimmer device never does.

Yup - the +NWI button.