How to obtain IP address for copying to Logs

For the last few weeks I've been having frequent losses of access to my C-7 hub's management pages (main and diagnostic), and as part of this am adding a button press handler that will start a proper reboot rather than doing a potentially damaging power cycle.

To rule out a change of the hub's IP address[1] as a cause of the problem I'd also like to retrieve the current local IP address and write it to the logs, for checking after the reboot. But doing that extra bit's fallen at the first hurdle - I can't find a way of getting the IP address. :frowning_face:

Does anyone know how this can be done?

[1] It shouldn't - the hub has an address reservation on my router.

Ah, thanks - I have that installed (and am using it for the reboot!), and looked for that having the address, but clearly failed to spot that parameter when I was adding the rule earlier.

Ironically I can't check/use it now, as I need to get in via Remote Access and my hub's gone inaccessible again... :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Do you have jumbo frames enabled anywhere on your network?

2 Likes

Nope - in fact delving into my router's settings (it's currently a rather basic ISP-supplied one) it doesn't look like it even supports jumbo frames.

check any other lan based devices (wifi won't have jumbo frames). Just want to rule it out.

1 Like

Does the hub continue to work you just can't get access to it? Do devices that are on your lan still work?

Try replacing the Ethernet cable as sometimes ethernet cables can be bad and cause a device to drop off the network after they have worked for a bit.

Try a new power adapter as sometimes weak power adapter can cause a device to lock up when they can't provided the needed power.

Maybe try to put a hub/switch between the HE and the ISP Router.

What is the color of the light on the front of the hub when this is happening?

1 Like

Does this mean you are subscribed to that service via HE or that your remote access to your network isn't working? I would assume the first option. So that would tend to indicate it has completely fallen of the network. hum

Understood - NAS checked (I think that's the only other device on the lan I can access settings for), and that's good too.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions - itemising things in vaguely the original order:

• The hub does continue to work - all rules fire, and it responds to sensor/button triggers. But, no access to any of the management pages, or via Alexa.
  • I'll try a new network cable and power supply in the near future.
  • When the hhb's inaccessible everything else on the LAN is still working correctly.
  • There's already a switch between hub and router.
  • Going from memory the hub light's green, although for some months I've been power cycling via a Sonoff USB power switch so haven't seen it lately (it's on top of a tall bookcase). Will check on the next occurrence.
  • It is the Hubitat remote access system I'm using (and that also stops responding).

FWIW nothing's changed on the cabling/physical side recently. This could well be a pair of red herrings, but the only significant changes the problems starting were roughly coincident with was updating to 2.3.8 (Matter not enabled) and switching to OwnTracks from Life360.

You need to do a reboot with the Rebuild option selected to clean up the database, in case of the abrupt shut downs corrupted anything.

1 Like