How to get rid of Phantom (Ghost, Non Operating) Zwave Nodes

Does anyone know how to get rid of these types of devices?
The Z-wave PC Controller has identified 4 phantom devices that have been with me for at least the last 2 weeks. These devices are not present in the HE UI, but are present in the Z-Wave PC Controller list. They cannot be "force removed" from HE, because they are just not there in the UI.

I have tried a few different approaches:

1. This is just not happening. I have tried rebooting, and I still have 4 phantom devices - they've been there for the last 2 weeks! (And, after many zwave repairs).

2. In Z-Wave PC Controller, I have tried the following approach (first mentioned in another post): NOP, IS Failed, then Remove. I've tried all sorts of combinations, and I can't get rid of them with this tool (Zensys).

Does anyone have a tool that gets rid of "failed" nodes??? (for good).
This has been a sore spot, and has been the subject of many threads. There doesn't seem to be a good, robust, comprehensive approach.

The pc controller software maintains it’s own tables.. Are you sure the ghost nodes are in HE’s node list?

I'm assuming that the PC Controller software got it's list from HE.
Where else could it have gotten that list from? It was a Z-stick right out of the box.

I just did this last week, so it does work. I clicked Is Failed.. which can come back true or false. If it comes back as false (meaning the selected device is not failed,) then a remove does nothing. Effectively Is Failed creates a Fail Table. Then Remove will delete everything in the list. If "Is Failed" doesn't add to the list, then it won't delete.

Click Is Failed a few times til the device goes red.

Maybe this is what you did, but I can't tell from your description. :frowning:

1 Like

This is from my log:

I was told that they may never go away. You could try to create a virtual zwave something with the same id? Then exclude it maybe?

Thanks for the thought (I think that approach worked in ST).
However, in HE you can't force a device node id.

2 Likes

shoot. Just a thought.
:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think that this is a real failing in the z-wave implementation of Hubitat.

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but I've always felt that HE doesn't do the same kind of daily maintenance that the competition does.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 8.51.42 PM

I just did that in the past minute. I clicked the device, I clicked Is Failed, It came back with a RED device. If I were to click Remove Failed, it would go away.

2 Likes

I must have a different kind of "failed device".
When I click IS Failed, it just says "failed".

23:55:11.060 Is Failed Node Check failed in 00:00:04.021

Any ideas?

What software are you using? It looks like @csteele is running the current PC Controller from Silabs.

I'm using Z-Wave PC Controller 5 , which I just downloaded.

Version 5.39.

How have you configured the Aeotec ZStick in Hubitat?
What driver did you use?

This is what my Log looks like...

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.06.39 PM

Which says to me... you didn't get a Failed on that device. It failed, to fail. :smiley:

1 Like

Is failed check and then remove failed.
Two actions/buttons

The reason that I thought that it was a failed node, is because I found 4 node numbers which do not exist in the HE list.
However, it does appear that there is something amiss with my implementation of PC Controller, because, indeed it did fail.

...back to the drawing board for more work...

Hello @csteele:
I'm not sure why my attempts didn't work.
I think it was because of an "incomplete" pairing of the AeoTec ZStick.
So, I tried with another ZStick (It's a long story, why I happen to have 2).
Again, time, after time "incomplete" pairing, which causes Zwave Controller operations to fail.
Fortunately, I also happen to have on hand, a Zooz S2 Stick (Another long story...)
No problem with the pairing to Hubitat (even though I did it in exactly the same way...)

Finally, no problem eliminating the "ghost" or "phantom" nodes!

Now, let's see if that makes a difference in the "slowdown" affair...

Hooray!
Thanks!

2 Likes

Please keep us posted.

2 Likes

I have two also but one is permanently assigned to my oldest/first hub. I Join them to my various ZWave networks at least once a month. The Silicon Labs PC Controller software is more consistent than OZWCP, and so I've been using PC Controller every time since noticing that.