How to: Flash SonOff USB Dongle to be a Zigbee Repeater/Router & Set Transmit Power

That makes sense...it's in join mode after the flash so briefly. I'll add that to the notes/PDF. Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Oops - I already had that info...I'm so proud of me. :wink:

1. Start Zigbee pairing on your hub and then start the flash of the dongle on your pi/computer. When the flashing ends the dongle automatically goes into pairing mode so it will be ready to join your hub and should be picked up.
2 Likes

do any of the buttons ie get link quality ,, get route table on th ikea repeater device panel do anything?

That one works. It spits it out in the logs. It also seems to work with any Zigbee 3.0 outlet I have tried for seeing the lqi

1 Like

One of the two buttons on the Device page works (in that some response appears in the logs), but I can't remember which one, frankly. I haven't tried to use any data from the buttons myself...I just plugged them in and let them repeat.

weird doesnt seem to show link quality seems to show other routers it knows about ie..

also weird/strange one of the problem devices near it.. the outdoor lights thourgh the wall in the room i put the repeater in that sometimes dropped messages, it doesnt show it routing through the sonoff in the logs but its stats in the zigbee logs went through the roof?

1 Like

got two ,more coming.. other than aliexpress (which i have not had good luck with.. ie they dont ship and hard to get your money back)

walmart now has best price and quicker shipping than amazon..

ie.
this is direct from sonoff

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SONOFF-Zigbee-3-0-USB-Dongle-Plus-Gateway-Universal-Gateway-Antenna-Home-Assistant-Open-HAB-etc-Wireless-Adapter/1280718141

2 Likes

got my second one configured and working.. any leads on cheap reliable usb ups to keep these up during a power outage?

1 Like

These have been discussed and appear to work pretty well...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JTVY87T/?coliid=I2G5IHKNK5120I&colid=3HIP7INTA1ALJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

2 Likes

So I went through all the steps and was able to flash successfully. I tried flashing after starting pairing, and I also tried holding down the Reset button while plugging in while pairing. All with no success. My C8 hub is not even detecting the Sonoff.

The firmware I flashed was CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_coodinator_20221226.hex

Any thoughts?

i got two of these.. working well price went up a few dollars... make sure to get the bundle with us plug adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNVG6699

1 Like

did you flash with the antenna connected.. i know you have to remove it to get it out of the case.. but you need to reattach so the hub can see it as you finish flashing..

wrong firmware you need to flash with the launchpad router.. and one before the last version or it seems to error out..

ie

CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_router_20221102

I flashed the latest firmware using the Zigstar multi tool on windows.

Did the trick! Was able to pair. Many thanks!

1 Like

I tried to flash the zigbee dongle but get following error:
getting this error: AppNwkJoinOrRejoinWhenPowerOn [291]

I followed the instructions as given here: https://sonoff.tech/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/SONOFF-Zigbee-3.0-USB-dongle-plus-firmware-flashing.pdf

I want to make it a router/extender

@Stan1 has experience w/the E version...he may be able to help.

@user104, I checked and the Dongle-E router firmware on github is still the same version used in the write up @danabw pointed to, Z3RouterUSBDonlge_EZNet6.10.3_V1.0.0.gbl.

You've probably done this, but check the pictures in post 91 a couple of pages above in this thread to make sure you have the same Dongle-E hardware that I used.

Thanks, yes it is the same hardware.
I see some other people have the same error/issue (also in this thread)...
But unfortunetaly no solution yet...

I also flashed it again with the controller firmware, and then again with te router firmware.
To try sortoff a clean slade...

Somehow the device does not enter pairing mode..
Is there a way to force pairing mode maybe? (tried holding down reset button for some time, als tried both butttons, but no luck here)

Also made a ticket at ' ITEAD Tech Support', but they have a bankholiday today :slight_smile: ..

On the "P" version the best results a number of us had were:

1. Start paring on your hub
  2. Hold the reset button while pluggin in the device and release after the device is plugged in

If you haven't tried that yet, that might help.

3 Likes

Only way i ever got mine in pairing mode was the automatic pairing mode after a firmware flash. None of the rebooting or button pushes ever worked.

1 Like