How to: Flash SonOff USB Dongle to be a Zigbee Repeater/Router & Set Transmit Power

I'm still using the Markus version on some, so looking at the forks, this must be the driver mentioned above. raw link

Zigbee - Generic Repeater (with healthStatus)

3 Likes

You can find it in your friendly neighborhood Hubitat Package Manager.

1 Like

Strange; my stick had been showing a strike-through for a while (it wasn't plugged in, however). Just went to look at the details page and it's no longer showing that (it's still not plugged in; hub had been rebooted since I last noticed it though).

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

One of my Sonoff dongles got into an odd state, I discovered it because of this discussion. I went to look at each of my Sonoff dongles to see what driver I was using with them. Turns out I was still using just the basic IKEA driver with one of them. So I updated to the Zigbee monitor driver, but then noticed no data was filling in on the device page when I followed the particular steps to get that driver up and configured.

Did a quick power cycle, and things work normally again. So I had lost one of my Sonoff repeaters for not sure how long. Never experienced an issue like this before, not sure if something just didn't connect back up after a reboot, or if a series of really quick power outages restores a month or so back left the dongle in a disconnected state.

1 Like

i use this driver and this rule to keep me updated.. none drop off.

i tried the monitor driver.. too much going on and not as reliable for me..

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/hubitat-Markus-Li-fork/release/drivers/expanded/zigbee-generic-repeater-expanded.groovy

2 Likes

Link to driver code doesnt seem to work @kahn-hubitat

This is what I get when I go to his (Kkossev's) GitHub.

1 Like

Works for me too. You just need to copy/paste the url into the import box after clicking "new driver" and hit save. Driver works well.

1 Like

I'd recommend the Zigbee Monitor Driver...available in HPM:

1 Like

Definitely P. Iā€™m using the Ikea TRADFRI Signal Repeater driver. I flashed from Windows using the instructions in the OP. Not sure the firmware version. Doesnā€™t show in the device details screen.

I tried the zigbee map*. One shows up as a repeater (but not repeating anything); the other doesnā€™t show up at all. I also noticed that there is nothing in the log when I invoke either command. Suspicious. Tempted to reset and repair as they are doing zero repeating for my zigbee mesh. Will try to power cycle first.

The question marks, when you hover, says: ā€œthe device had no activity since last radio resetā€.

• Is the new zigbee app different from the map available from Settings/Zigbee Details in the hub UI?

Ken, do you mean you use this driver instead of the IKEA driver recommended in the OP? Will probably give that a try, if so.

Thanks everyone for the input. Iā€™m going to power cycle and try the new drivers to see what I can learn. Will share what I learn in the next few days.

BTW, the strikethroughs, at least for me, only show up in zigbee details. The device details page didnā€™t show any such weirdness. FWIW

1 Like

I'd suggest that you use the Zigbee monitor drivers cuz they'll show you directly in the driver what the device is repeating etc.

As I had said, I had one that was not repeating anything, and a power cycle restored it to normal operation. Hopefully yours will be easy as well.

1 Like

Yes. This driver allows me to create a rule to notify my phone if one of the dongles has lost connection using the health check status offline/online. None of my 5 dongles have dropped since migrating to my C-8s, but they would occasionally lose connection when they were on my C-5s.

You guys...Zigbee Monitor Driver is a total revelation. How did I not know?Thank you @danabw, @Ken_Fraleigh, and @kahn-hubitat for turning on the lights for me!

Digging in further now....

2 Likes

Enjoy the rabbit hole...it is very deep. :wink:

2 Likes

I see lots of back and forth. I am on a C7 about to migrate to a C8-pro. If I was looking to purchase one of these now, which do you recommend?

SONOFF-Zigbee Dongle P
or
SONOFF-Dongle-E

I'd say dongle P as it is better known, more people have installed them than the E version. But that's just me.

Iā€™d be tempted to get the Aeotec repeater zi off Amazon. If itā€™s as good as the outlet thatā€™s no longer available, then itā€™s worth the money. My 3 Samsung zigbee 3.0 outlets still do the lionā€™s share of the repeating even with 4 Sonoff dongles on that hub. One of them currently shows 20 devices connected.

3 Likes

Simple plug and play is nice. I will try it out.

1 Like