How to: Flash SonOff USB Dongle to be a Zigbee Repeater/Router & Set Transmit Power

They are both flashed, paired and put in place. I have removed the 2 closest repeaters. I am going to let it settle for a bit.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

So far I have noticed the LQI of the sonoff's is lower than most of the Ikea repeaters. Not sure how important that is just an observation. still trying to decide a final location for them.

How do i tell what power setting the dongles are set at ? Is it in the firmware I flashed?

EDIT.. I see the firmware I flashed was the latest set at 9dbm.

1 Like

I wouldn't too worry about the low LQI. The end devices don't seem to like moving to other router unless you power off or lost power to the Sonoff. As long as the end device has good LQI to the Sonoff. You will be fine.

2 Likes

Looking alot better since adding the Sonoff dongles and getting rid of the ikea repeaters.... I know this map isnt totally accurate but gives me a bit of an idea how its going.....

1 Like

For me the SonOffs are generally device magnets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I added a couple of these sonoff dongles in an effort to generally improve my zigbee mesh, but also (with the proper antenna) extend my zigbee mesh for my car arrival sensor.

Recently I was poking around my zigbee table and noticed this strange thing:

They both appear to have paired properly (several months ago when I added them). Neither have any suspicious logging and they both show up in my zigbee network graph.

Any ideas what the strike-through indicates? TIA.

I don't remember seeing that before. I do think I remember that when items shared by mesh go offline they get a strike-through. But this doesn't appear to be that situation.

What appears when you click on the question marks?

Have you power cycled them?

Have you tried the new Zigbee Map app to see if they are repeating?

Which dongle did you buy? The P or E version and which firmware?
I have both but I have the non official router firmware for the P version and it does check in for status. The E version I upgrade to the latest Sonoff official router firmware but it doesn't report status. Yet they are both repeating devices fine.
As @danabw said, try the new zigbee map.
I don't have them on Hubitat. Just my observation with Zigbee2mqtt.

1 Like

@aaiyar and @Tony - do either of you know what would cause the strike-through on the Zigbee Details screen for the two dongles?

I would assume that it means that the device isn’t responding, has changed its address, or has been deleted from the table. I use the Ooh la labs Zigbee Repeater driver modified by @kkossev with a rule setup to notify me if one of mine goes offline.

1 Like

I'm not sure that I've seen that driver. Do you have a GitHub location for it?

Not sure about the @kkossev repeater driver but I have this one bookmarked that does Health Status reporting.

Health Status
This driver implements the normal Health Status capability with a configurable timeout period.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I have been using that one some of my SonOffs.

1 Like

I'm still using the Markus version on some, so looking at the forks, this must be the driver mentioned above. raw link

Zigbee - Generic Repeater (with healthStatus)

3 Likes

You can find it in your friendly neighborhood Hubitat Package Manager.

1 Like

Strange; my stick had been showing a strike-through for a while (it wasn't plugged in, however). Just went to look at the details page and it's no longer showing that (it's still not plugged in; hub had been rebooted since I last noticed it though).

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

One of my Sonoff dongles got into an odd state, I discovered it because of this discussion. I went to look at each of my Sonoff dongles to see what driver I was using with them. Turns out I was still using just the basic IKEA driver with one of them. So I updated to the Zigbee monitor driver, but then noticed no data was filling in on the device page when I followed the particular steps to get that driver up and configured.

Did a quick power cycle, and things work normally again. So I had lost one of my Sonoff repeaters for not sure how long. Never experienced an issue like this before, not sure if something just didn't connect back up after a reboot, or if a series of really quick power outages restores a month or so back left the dongle in a disconnected state.

1 Like

i use this driver and this rule to keep me updated.. none drop off.

i tried the monitor driver.. too much going on and not as reliable for me..

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/hubitat-Markus-Li-fork/release/drivers/expanded/zigbee-generic-repeater-expanded.groovy

2 Likes

Link to driver code doesnt seem to work @kahn-hubitat

This is what I get when I go to his (Kkossev's) GitHub.

1 Like