How to find cause of hard crashes?

Ok thanks.
This is from my C5

This is from my C7

0x11 on the C7 looks to be a partial pairing...

1 Like

The device hadn't checked in since the last reboot. Turned on the device and then off.

2 Likes

0x16 what zooz device is that?

That it for a sump pump connection.

I meant model

I've been meaning to update this thread but forgot until I got a slew of notification emails!

My problem has been solved with help from @gopher.ny over private message. The tldr is that there was a beta update 2.2.9.127 that enabled an endpoint http://your.hubs.ip.here/hub/advanced/cpuMaxFrequency/1000000. I hit that in my web browser and got an expected response "max CPU frequency set to 1000000".

Since I did that, my hub has been stable for months with no more lockups. I will occasionally get some lag on automations, e.g. a light turning on 5 seconds after a motion sensor has been tripped, but it's better than the Hubitat locking up.

I was told this is a "semi-permanent setting" that should survive firmware upgrades. I'm now on the most recent firmware and the Hubitat has continued to be stable.

Hopefully this helps other people.

3 Likes

ZooZ 15, for heavy powered devices.

1 Like

Ok just making sure it wasn't a 25...That can cause problems on a mesh

Thanks!

Can anyone elaborate on the CPU Max frequency page and its use? I tried that and my hub still crashes. Pings are unresponsive and so is the 8081 page with the green light still on. The only fix has been a hard power cycle

I am having the exact same problems that this thread describes. I have tried all of the same solutions. Resets with backup restores, disabling all of my apps one at a time, rebooter app etc. The hub will work for a variable amount of time and then crash with nothing in the logs for me to diagnose

C7 hub

~ 60 Sengled zigbee lights (on legacy driver)
All are grouped into rooms with zigbee group messaging
~ 5 Sengled zigbee oval shaped repeating outlets
~ 7 ikea zigbee outlets
~ 7 centralite zigbee outlets
~ 2 axis tilt zigbee blind motors
~ 1 current zigbee ewand blind motor
~ native hue integration
~ 3 hue gu10s
~ 4 hue bulbs
~ 2 hue strips
~ 1 hue button connected direct
~ 2 hue outdoor motion connected direct
~ 4 jasco plug in zwave dimmers
~ 1 gdz-004 zwave garage door controller
~ 1 aeotec zwave repeater
~ 2 inovelli zwave bulbs
~ 1 Yale zwave lock
~ 4 aeotec motion sensors

Of note is that all of this worked on smart things except when the internet went out. I switched to Hubitat for local control

Well I see you have hue bulbs in your mesh. This will cause a lot of issues as they make bad repeaters. They should be isolated on their own mesh using a Hue bridge or another Hubitat.

Can you post a copy of your z-wave details page?

1 Like

Sorry i should have marked that better. The Hue bulbs are isolated and running off of a hue hub with the C7 using the native hue integration. The only directly connected hue devices are the button and outdoor motion sensors.

Z-wave details

1 Like

It crashed again last night, nothing in the logs. This time upon cycling the power, there was a system message saying that the zigbee network was offline.

I would recommend:

1. Re-pairing your motion sensors with no z-wave security, and also your "Garage 2" iNovelli dimmer. S0 is very chatty, and while S2 is much less chatty, it too is more chatty than have no security at all. Obviously your door lock and garage door opener have to be paired securely, but there's no real benefit for the others being paired with S2 or S0 security.

2. You should contact @support_team to check the engineering logs on your hub. The zigbee radio only goes offline when there's a very high CPU load.

1 Like

If Diagnostic Tool is inaccessible, that points to a network issues within your local network, a bad Ethernet cable or a malfunctioning Ethernet port on the hub. If you have the DHCP reconnect enabled, that could lead to overwhelming amount of events while the hub is unable to connect, which can result in Zigbee going offline. I would look at troubleshooting network issues, rather than resetting the hub. Soft Reset doesn't help with network issues. If you don't see anything in the logs, most likely the engineering logs will show nothing but the hub disconnecting from the network. If you'd like us to take a look at your hub's engineering logs, please send me a private message along with your hub's MAC address.

1 Like

Reconnect was set to 60s. It’s now disabled. I’ll send a PM as well, I’d like to know if there is anything in the or not.

2 Likes

I didn't see a mention of temperature . . .

2 Likes

Another possibility that haven't been mentioned on this thread yet is jumbo frames. Those have been known to crash the hub. Jumbo frames are not typical on home networks, but they're worth mentioning as a possible freeze cause.

2 Likes

In addition to what @aaiyar, @bobbyD, and others have mentioned, do any of these Zigbee outlets report power? I’ve seen where multiple power reports per second were being sent by otherwise reliable plugs. Resetting and rejoining the device and disabling power reporting on devices I wasn’t actually needing that info from fixed it in one situation I had. The other was fixed by removing and tossing the offending device which managed to send ~75,000 messages to my old SmartThings hub in only 5 or so hours. Needless to say, that hub wasn’t doing well with that much traffic either.
Occasionally I’ll just open up the Zigbee logs page for a while to see what’s happening on my HE hubs.

1 Like