How to control smart bulbs with Zooz switch smart bulb mode enabled

I have a Zooz zen21 switch using the Zooz Zen Switch Advanced driver. This driver allows me to set the switch to "smart bulb mode" so when you click the switch instead of it cutting power to the bulbs it simply tells hubitat to turn off the bulbs. So my switch is in the correct mode but now I need to figure out how to tell my hubitat that whenever the on/off button on the switch is clicked, turn on/off these 2 bulbs.

I have 2 zigbee sengled rgbw bulbs. How do I connect the on/off commands of the switch to control the bulbs? Anything to get me in the right direction would greatly help!

With the Zooz, you've got two options. I believe their switches and dimmers in "smart bulb mode" still internally track on/off state and level, so one option is to use Hubitat's built-in Mirror app to push changes from the switch/dimmer to the bulbs.

The other option is to treat your Zooz as basically a button device. For example, besides (possibly) on/off events, pressing the top or bottom paddles should generate events on Hubitat like "button 1 pushed" and "button 2 pushed." What I'd recommend is setting up an app like Button Controller or Rule Machine with a button device trigger (or use a community app that, IMHO, makes configuring these with lights easier--but all the same idea in the end). Then create actions for the specific button events that manipulate your bulbs. For example, "button 1 pushed" should probably turn on both of your Sengleds, and "button 2 pushed" should turn them off. To get the full effect, you can add things like "button 1 held" doing a "Start raising dimmer level" and "button 1 released" a "Stop changing dimmer level" and similar in the opposite direction for button 2, which will give you smooth up/down dimming like it would if it were controlling "real" bulbs.

As an aside, you could create a group instead of controlling both bulbs directly. This may cut down on Zigbee traffic and improve reliability, especially for commands set in quick succession. However, groups don't support the "Start Level Change" and "Stop Level Change" commands like the individual Sengled (or even generic) bulb drivers do, and two bulbs isn't a ton, so you may just want to use them directly here. Up to you, however!

PS - I should also mention that I prefer the second option. The first is more intuitive for some people, but I think it can be problematic sometimes (e.g., if you manipulate the bulbs directly via other means) since it is one-way only. If you think of the switch/dimmer is now just a remote/button device, I think the second way makes sense.

Thanks I was just watching a tutorial on rule machine before you commented this. Also you mention I can use a community app use instead of creating my own app from scratch. I'm still figuring my way about these forums so how would you recommend I find community apps for specific devices?

Some attempts have been made at "central" listings for these, but I'm not sure any have really caught on. So, the best approach is probably just to search. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, that can be a bit difficult if you don't have the right search terms, so I suppose next-best is getting a recommendation from someone for your particular situation.

I'd probably recommend starting with either Button Controller or RM (make sure to use a "Button Device" trigger, then you get basically the same UI as Button Controller--a bit different from "plain" RM; do not use a "Button" trigger). That way, you get a feel for what the built-in apps can do.

If you want a community app recommendation, I'm a bit biased since I wrote it, but here's one:

Advanced Button Controller (or ABC) is another popular option. One of the issues I wrote the app above to solve compared to other options was that you only need to choose the lights once, not once for each action/button. So, it's mostly geared for lighting situations, as the name suggests, where all buttons control the same lights, just in different ways. The others are more flexible in what you can ultimately do with the device; there's no reason you need to use them just for the lights in that room or even lights at all.

Very helpful thank you!

I just installed a Zen73 in smart bulb mode switching a LIFX candle bulb and I couldnā€™t get the Button Controller option to work to save my soul. Iā€™m pretty new at this but whew.

I decided to dip my toes into Rule Machine, made 2 simple trigger events (on and off) and it worked as expected the first time.

So if someone is attempting switching in smart bulb mode with smart bulbs I suggest the RM option. If I could get it work anyone can lolā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.