How to Add a Lutron Device

RE: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Add_new_lutron_device

If this has been written already, please direct me to it. If not, could you give me a few bullet points? No need to go into detail. My hardware is all set up, and I have test devices ready.

Thanks.

This one?

Yeah, I've been there. It's a fair start, but it's not complete.

Where did you find this link?

It describes the two methods of adding Lutron devices to Hubitat--either the "wizard"-based approach, or the manual/text-entry based approach. I believe it is complete, but feel free to point out any specific gaps you see.

This is all you can do on Hubitat. If you need to add something to your Lutron system itself, you need to do that with Lutron (the Caséta app, the Essentials software, your professional installer, or however these are set up on your particular system). The above helps you get those devices into Hubitat afterwards.

2 Likes

I found that link on a search engine.

Yes, I have the Lutron app. I've added a 2-button device. I've been trying to get it into Hubitat by using that page, but I end up with trial and error. I'll go over it again. If I have to ask again, I'll try to be specific. Something about this process is not obvious to me.

Thanks.

Here’s what I do:

1. Add the device to your Lutron hub (whichever it is). You can either do this yourself (Caseta), or use the Lutron distributor/installer who installed your Lutron system (RadioRA 2).
  2. Send a new integration report by email to yourself using the Lutron app.
  3. Using the device ID from the email for your new device, add it manually to the Hubitat Lutron integrator app. There are examples provided for each device type. Click done. The new device will be created automatically.
1 Like

Well, that looks easy. I'm sure I never did the email part. I'll give this a try later today. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

1 Like

@RHam You do have the Pro 2 Hub correct? If so just follow the integration instructions that @Ranchitat posted. They are in fact complete. What specifically were you looking for once it's integrated with Hubitat?

Yes, I have the Pro.

Lutron has switches. I bought some of the two-button Picos, and the hub, and my plan is to test them. In doing so, I'll also be testing the Hubitat software. My yardstick is X10. I must be able to light a light with a wall switch, plain and simple. I'm almost there. I'd like to see Lutron work out because it will give me more choices. Otherwise, I've already got alternatives picked out.

I'm good with desktop PCs, but not so good with cell phones. I've never sent email with a cell phone. I never saw the need before now. I admit, I'm sometimes puzzled with today's trends in terminology, too. Cloud is remote server, App is application, and so on.

Well we're here to help. Your switches will come right into hubitat and you really won't have to touch the lutron app. It will also be 100% local. I recommend a PC to do your admin stuff on Hubitat as it's easier to get around and you have more display room and what not... Here is an example of some of my switches and dimmers within hubitat

1 Like

@aaiyar

I did the email thing. I had never seen an "Integration Report" before this. The report had only one number called "ID" (I guess since I only had one Lutron device). I entered it in the space marked "Lutron Integration ID."

Now I'll have another shot at the Lutron Integrator. I may be misunderstanding the definition of certain terms. I'll go step by step, and explain any questions explicitly. I don't mean to run it into the ground, but this is the only way I'm going to get it.

I'll be back.

Your integration page should look similar to this...
Note: Set a static ip on the lutron hub or a DHCP reservation for it in your router.

Mine looks like this?
The name looks odd... it should be a Pico switch...
And, pressing Telenet Support produces no results? The Enable box will not stay checked.

So you're gonna scroll down more in your list until you see more like this

And in the area I showed you you would put

25,d,whateveryouwantitnamedonhubitat

the d stands for dimmer. (all the codes are listed, use the appropriate code for your devices)

During the integration set up click the use configuration list instead of the interactive setup. Then you'll see what I have above and how it's layed out...

Yes, the last entry on my report is the Pico, my one test device. Following the Lutron Instructions, I've made is show up on my Device List.

I see the Config List is to be entered manually. Does each Lutron device require the entire device list, or does each device require only the data related to itself?

I see the Device Type Code does not appear on the Lutron Report. Evidently Lutron does not specify a device type. I also see that you have referred to the "appropriate code." The list of codes has more than one code that might be appropriate for a given device. Can I make that choice myself, based on my intended use? Or is there a way to determine exactly what Lutron needs?

The link you found is to an older version of the hub docs.

Have you reviewed the updated document linked above in this thread?

As @bertabcd1234 said, it’s pretty complete with respect to how to get things working on the Hubitat end of things. And it covers the same info @aaiyar described.

Perhaps you are getting hung up on the two options for Pico devices? The other devices types are pretty straightforwardly named.

If you have Caseta light switches or dimmers to install, I suggest doing that first, pairing in the Lutron mobile app for iOS or Android, and then following the instructions above to integrate with Hubitat.

1 Like

@marktheknife

I want to call it a switch, or maybe a keypad. Will that work?

Yan can call the Pico anything you want, but you need to designate it as a Pico in the setup. You'll want to have something like:

2,p,My Pico

Hubitat offers 2 drivers, one called 'Lutron Pico', the other 'Lutron Fast Pico'. The difference is the 'normal' driver allows for held events. Lutron Picos don't report held events, Hubitat calculates them based on the time differences between the push and release. The Fast driver doesn't worry about the calculation so in theory is a very slightly faster performance.

Once you've added the Pico you need to go to the new device property page and set the number of buttons. There are multiple Picos from 2-5 buttons, Hubitat needs to know which you have.

After that you need to use a button controller app to connect the Picos to a device that you want to control. Each button is independently programmed in the button controller app.

3 Likes

@bill.d

This is key info, Bill. This is what I've been looking for. This is what is not clear in the doc.
I assume Lutron Fast Pico means "Pico (pushed/released)."

Thanks...

@bertabcd1234

Bill's data would have helped me on this screen:

I have the 3-way Lutron wall switches (2), 2 PICOs and the SmartBridge remote. App works fine, with the 9 lights can be controlled within the app. My issue is the integration with Hubitat. I cannot see the integration report, nor can I see the telnet option to turn on. I have the IP address of the hub. When I go to the app, click on Advanced, Integration, it says CONNECTIONS of which there are none. I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated.