How stable

How much does this play into your stability? What native apps/drivers are you using? Which are you not using that others likely are?

I have 3 hubs - 2 C4's (Upstairs/Downstairs) and 1 - C5 (Controller Hub). My system is not really stable yet. I use the RootnTootnRebootn app - My downstairs hub has been rebooting with some frequency lately - usually around 2:30 am every night / every other night. My upstairs hub somewhat less so - once or twice every week or so.

I really cannot fault HE for the lack of stability because I am still fooling around with things - adding devices, tweaking rules, adjusting custom drivers etc. I DO have custom apps and have been playing around with various devices and configurations.

Even given the reboots I would say that the majority of the stuff I am NOT currently messing with (or haven't for a long time) is/has been rock solid - all my closet lighting relays + motion sensors, basement lighting, exterior lighting (including an makeshift outdoor lux sensor from an MS6) and Upstairs Zooz switches etc.

Honestly I donā€™t know. The only native things I use are sonos, and the google and Alexa integration. I have rule machine installed just for some sonos rules that I will eventually break off into its own app.

Iā€™ve written/rewritten apps such as ring,Rachio ,Life360 , homebridge and more.

Most of the time I would rip out a lot of the features that I have no need for and rewrite parts to be a little more. For example my homebridge only does switches. Thatā€™s all I care for. But if I want to add something later on itā€™s pretty easy and I can do it. Iā€™ve even rewritten all of my drivers. I only have a few system virtual drivers right now that I havenā€™t switched over. But everything is my own. Iā€™m pretty good with zwave now but trying to get my head around zigbee.

At least if anything gives me any sort of problem I have full visibility and can fix it myself. Itā€™s a lot of work but my system is very stable so I guess it had been worth it.

There have been dozens of discussions about ā€œwhat are you using/doing that Iā€™m notā€ that have seemingly lead nowhere, which is why Iā€™m giving up on that discussion.

Instead Iā€™m hoping that Support will want to capture any repeatable failure.

Got a hub that MUST be rebooted daily? Can you do a soft reset and restore a backup and have it crash? Willing to send that backup to Support? They should be able to reproduce the failure in some percentage of submissions. Some are going to be device specific and thus not reproducible. But if we can, together, whack it down by 1/3 I bet a few of us would smile again. :slight_smile:

I suppose @bobbyD will be replying with ā€œtried thatā€ but I donā€™t know what else we have in our Kit to actually add to the solution. Complaining sure isnā€™t yielding a solution :smiley:

3 Likes

Super stable for me.
The only time I've had any doubt is my "dashboard" sometimes takes a while to load, but it's hard for me to know/tell if that is Hubitat slowing down (e.g. running out of memory) or just my internet condition when I'm trying.

Besides that, rock solid, specially as now I put it behind a UPS so it only gets safe on/off power.

Nope. My HE set-up (C5) is a constant irritating struggle :smile:

Dashboards not updating (always)
Dashboards missing their top banner (frequently)
Devices going offline (occasionally)
Hub slowing down (regularly)
Motion sensor/lights delay
Necessary reboots (scheduled and rootin' tootin' app)
Chromecast queue paused (often)
Locations not updating (often)
Inadequate app functionality/support for multiple locations
Etc.

I could go on.

Some people call this fun. I kinda do. I explain to people (including my long suffering wife) that it's my hobby. But frankly I wish it was way more reliable/predictable as a core system and I could spend time on enhancing the automations and adding more interesting devices and scenarios instead of having to constantly attend to the basics.

I look forward to the time when complex HA "just works".

1 Like

I have a C-4, about 150 devices configured, about 100 RM-4.0 rules. I don't have many "IP or Cloud" configured devices but here is my list:

• Harmony Hub
  • Lannoucer running on a old Cell phone Wifi connected
  • Ecobee Thermostat using Barry's apps vs. embedded app
  • 30 or so Z-wave deivces (Inovelli Light Switches, Dome contact, and Siren)
  • 25 or so Zigbee devices (mostly sensors, and Sengled light bulbs, and Samsung Buttons)
  • Many virtual devices to control scenes and other options
  • 4 tablets running dashboards.

I have been running 100% reliable since I started this project over a year ago. Knock on wood I have never had a hard hang, major device delays, etc. The only time I have seen slowdowns is right after a software update and that I usually only for the first few minutes after the reboot.

I would say my reliability is better than when I was running SmartThings, WebCore was great but the delays, unexpected piston semaphore collisions, and other things made me move away from their services.

Im convinced the c5 is the problem.

Hopefully we see a c7 model this year.

Yeah well... Newer isn't always better... Look at the C5 vs the C4...

Nothing guaranteeing the C7 will be better than the C5.

1 Like

It's been expressed that the staff thinks there may actually be a memory leak of some sort with the c5 model.

I wonder if they have any c4's for sale.

it does'nt necessarily mean Ram leak, but resource pools (dB cursor, socket data etc..) leak. It should be on the sw side

But only the c5 model appears to be the problem.

I don't see a strong correlation in this regard as of yet.
There can be some ethernet auto negotiation issues with the C5 Lan interface, other than that...

Disagree there... My C4 requires reboots too.

Now, I will say that overall my setup is stable enough for me. I have to reboot weekly, but I'm ok with that.

So while I'm not complaining, I just wanted to clarify that it is not just the C5.

4 Likes

My C4's as well.. My reboots are bit more frequent but usually at 2-3 am so not bothered all that much. My C5 is the most stable of the bunch with both Zigbee and Zwave shut off.. :rofl:

Not really complaining either since as previously mentioned am actively messing with things.

Same here.. They seem to be affected equally in my environment.

I have Hardware version:
Rev C-5

mik2,
I did migrate from Smarthings but the hub is in the trash long ago.
from a device perspective All sensors are Smarthings zigbee devices many are the Gen2 from ST.
about 20 GE Zwave Smart switches.

From an Apps perspective I have:
16 Simple Lighting
12 Rule Machine

Angus_M,

The ONE word you wrote is also the Largest issue... WIFE

My wife continually ask WHY do we have this thing again?

She is my customer that I have to keep happy

1 Like

Do you have zigbee repeaters ?