How reliable is Sonos integration?

I've tried chromecast integration and echo speaks. Chromecast is down right bad with dropping devices a little better with chromecast helper App but still not reliable enough. I know it's beta but I don't have time to play around with getting the devices back in order. Echo speaks is pretty good I just don't like the Heroku server part or whatever it's called, opening up my amazon account to third party apps and maintenance updating. So I guess all that's left is to buy a Sonos connect and hook it up to my whole house audio system Which is what I Probably should I have done in the first place. Question is is it reliable or is it buggy as well?

1 Like

I have not had a single issue with Sonos integration since I added it several months ago. I am pretty sure Sonos integration is all local, not cloud based, so response time is good.

2 Likes

Yep. Me too. No issues with my Sonos 1 and 3.

Awesome that's what I wanted to hear. Thank goodness for dealer pricing I should have went this route in the first place.

I was able to remove all my Amazon dots and echos and have never looked back!

Same here, initial investment aside this is definitely my favorite for TTS.

1 Like

Super happy with the IKEA Symfonisk. Great sounding TTS too.

I agree Initial Investment is definitely the reason I stayed away from Sonos even with great pricing. The prices are a kinda bad for what you get sound wise if you actually know better. We install Sonos systems in lots of houses I always suggest to the customer to just use the Sonos connects and stay away from everything else but lots of people love the way they sound I just know better.

:joy: you know better than what people like? :crazy_face:

No offense. Just strikes me funny

1 Like

I don't use mine for music at all, I agree that they are average sounding. I just like the integration with HE, super reliable. You are not the only one who knows better :wink:

I just know they sound like crap for the price especially if you're paying retail pricing

That's a little harsh, they're quite a bit better than Bose! LOL

1 Like

Sound quality is so subjective it's insane. Add in environment and source dependencies, and it's just impossible to have any objectivity with speakers.

It always comes down to "Well, I like these, but those suck!" Lol

For my purposes, Sonos sounds great. If I need better subjective quality, I certainly wouldn't be using wifi or bluetooth speakers and Pandora streaming for sure.

Unless of course, I was forced to use Bose.

Lol.

S.

Back in the ole car stereo days we had a slogan.

"No highs, No Lows, it must be Bose"

4 Likes

And yet, you had to pay through the nose

Who knew I was a poet and all? :joy:

3 Likes

No problem with either one of my Sonos Symfonisk from IKEA.

Okay I'll try to clarify what I'm implying. Yes Sound Quality is subjective. I'll give you an example though. Let's say you buy some new model Sonos amps and the In ceiling speakers sonos sells made by sonance which are the crappiest speakers sonance makes. Then you found out that you could have spent less or the same amount of money for better components that sound way better then sonos stuff not even close in comparison. You don't have to be an audio file to hear the difference it's night and day. So my point is when I tell people that they might want to think about just going with the Sonos Connect for functionality and use other speakers and amps blah blah blah because you get more bang for your buck it's not really subjective it's facts. Hey I love the people that want to go straight Sonos make good money off of them and if their ears are happy so are mine. Now if you own Sonos speakers, sound bars or whatever and your happy with the sound and price you paid then awesome. Also I pay half price for everything sonos and I'm just now going to install a sonos connect only because it seems to work well with Hubitat. We also install all the High price Controllers like contro4, savant, RTI etc. I choose to use Hubitat.

1 Like

I have to say I like the sound quality as part of a whole solution. it's beyond what I thought I could have a few years ago to walk throughout the house and hear the same content without a bunch of cables run through the house. If I don't like the speaker here, I pick it up and move it there. Oh..and add to that the ability to have announcements in specific rooms when needed. It just floors me. Maybe my baseline is lower than most people, but what technology gives us is just awesome! Best time to be alive I think!

Referring to sound quality specifically, my house has lots of drywall, wood flooring and some carpet. Not much in the way of sound absorption on the walls or ceilings. The bedrooms are pretty dense and the open areas tend to lean towards echo chambers. There is no way to get any consistent sound from room to room. The "tuning" Sonos does provides a modest amount of equalizing. That said, If I want a really great sound, then I'll pop on a set of high quality headphones. I can't think of anyone who would think that a wireless sound solution would work for an audiophile.

The connects and amp do meet that need when connected to decent kit and decent source.

I stand pleasantly corrected!!! I might have to look into the connects!