How I Monitor my Sump Pump

@bbrannon A vibration sensor eh? I love it. Smart, easy and low tech. Which one did you use?

It is SmartThings and now Aeotec. Attached to the pipe with some blue painters tape. I use it to trigger a virtual switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Window-Sensor-Multipurpose/dp/B095TPSQ3S?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1O77D5UJY7IVU

My parents lived in an old house in Buffalo, NY with electric delivered from telephone poles (as opposed to buried). Every time it snowed their power would go off and the basement would flood unless they hooked up a generator. This this changed their lives.

1 Like

Its sump pump time again in WI !
I have upgraded my chart a little bit since before, just wanted to show it off.

This also includes a counter for other contact sensors.

The top gives me an hourly breakdown and the bottom give the day to day.

2 Likes

We have had a lot of rain (and some snow) here in Chicagoland over the past few days. The little river that passes through the town is at flood stage. I have two sump pumps, one that runs to take care of normal conditions and one that runs only if the main pump fails, or if there is stormwater runoff. At its peak, the backup sump pump was running very 5-10 minutes. Every time it turns on the power plug sends an alert to Hubitat who then tells my Ecolink siren to alert us that the pump is running. Getting an alert every 5-10 minutes through the day and night is kind of annoying, but it is also reassuring that no water is getting into the basement.

If I were to try to plot the data, it would normally be blank as the pump can go for months without running, but in springtime, the plot would be quite busy.

Yes that is how mine is as well, usually blank. When it runs mine shuts off so abruptly you can hear it clunk upstairs so then I Know to check the charts. It is still chugging away today although on the decline. Only 12-13 times per hour right now.

What is odd, a relative in the next town, maybe 15 minutes away, they did not even know they had a sump. I found it in the basement and looked down in it, bone dry. Lifted up the float and sure enough the pump actually worked so that was reassuring. They might be slightly higher than I am where with better drainage or something.