How do you use TTS?

Huh, that's good to know it's possible. Hoping it comes sooner than later!

This Alexa TTS doesn't require a seperate script on RPi or PC: [Beta Release] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech v0.4.1 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, & UK)

It works well, but still requires the Amazon cookie every 2 weeks.

Ryan780 helped me get the cast-web-api running on my rPi and then linked the device and app. I have my HSM running alerts that include TTS to my Google Home devices when one of the entry doors have been left open for more than 2 minutes, and also when my daughter's door opens during designated bed times / nap times so I have a heads up to shut down any movies or video games me and my wife are playing that could be unsuitable for her before she walks into the living room.

Also using it when mode != away and time = X and again when time = Y to remind me to take medication on the weekends when I am out of my usual wake up routine.

This is rather superfluous but I really want to find a zigbee or z-wave wireless probe thermometer for my oven so I can slow cook meat or home brew and have it alert me when it gets to exactly the right temperature using TTS.

Ever since having a kiddo I find that voice prompts do a lot more than things like the Assistant reminders from Google which I miss unless I have my phone on my and actually notice the alert or vibration. Hard to miss the en-UK "Take your damn pills!" broadcast.

Any ELI5 guides for setting up the TTS to Google Home?

Anyone got Alexa TTS working in Australia ??
I've been hoping something similar would appear for Google Home Mini that doesn't require another "always on" device. Even a low powered one such as a RPi.

Why would a RPi be objectionable? The power use is so low, you'd be hard pressed to show the difference on your electric bill. Google Assistant Relay is more valuable than just as a TTS device, since you can issue silent commands to anything Google Assistant supports.

3 Likes

An ethernet connected 3B uses a whopping ~3W of power. That's a killer. :wink:

In all seriousness, it uses less power on average than many appliances use when on standby, At my electrical rate it would be around 21 cents a month.

Hey every little bit adds up. I look at power seriously because in CT we have the second highest power costs in the country. On top of that I just found out on Jan 1st my energy bill will go up 20% which is a crazy increase from 1 yr to the next.

It’s not the power at all. It’s having to manage another device. :blush:
Patch, update, secure, etc.
Especially as our stupid government (Australian) has just nixed “encryption” for everyone !!!
They’ve basically legislated “back doors” into anything that was secure.
Unbelievable !!

1 Like

I get it... Everyone needs to decide what is important to them. My point is that even at California electricity rates a RPi only uses 60 cents a month... For me that isn't worth chasing if it provides a function I want.

But I'm not being judgmental. Seriously - everyone has different drivers and things that are important to them.

1 Like

The problem is if it was only a couple devices no issue, but I know in my case I have tons of devices running 24/7 each one only use a small amount, but they add up. The thing is if it was only the electricity that was high it wouldn't be too bad. But unfortunately where I live the cost of living is very high, pretty close to NYC costs, but not quite, if they could tax the air in this state they would.

Completely agree on an additional device to manage. I try to put as much as I can on my Freenas server because its already running 24/7, so why add another device to manage when I already have a very powerful PC sitting idle most of the time.

The crazy part is everyone says power is expensive. My job has made me realize how incredibly cheap it is for the amount of work that goes into generating it...

I salute every amp that pulses into my house for its hard work.

What should I use: Message Central or Welcome Home? I know they do a lot of the same things but do I need both? I know it depends on what exactly I want to do but generally speaking.

The main purpose of Welcome Home is to give you a customizable entry delay. This way you can hear the message once you are actually IN the house. All other types of announcements are done with either Message Central or RM.

What part of CT are you in? I'm in Bristol and I've been saying the same thing. This POS state will happily tax you to death and THEN tax death!

Just be glad you don't live in California :persevere:

Yeah, the 10k property/income tax cap really hurt high taxes states like CT. I know I took a big hit last tax season.

I live in Newtown.

Idk I think we may even have higher overall living cost here then even California, but it's definitely high over there too. Electric costs are the highest in the country in CT besides Hawaii.

$0.52 per kwh here for peak.. it's pretty high. Glad we have solar, love giving the middle finger to SDG&E

I wish I could go solar but I have too many trees in the way. I got a quote just to see and I would have needed to take down 14 trees to get enough sun and even then I needed like 40 panels to cover the energy needs.

In Frisco, TX, rate is $0.11 per KWH. Gas is $2.20/gallon. I can not believe other areas.