Google Assistant Relay driver help

May be I am missing something, but I am not able to use the driver. Here is what I did.

1. Set up the Google Assistant relay server on RPi running Ubuntu.
  2. Successfully sent commands to relay server endpoint 192.168.1.10:3000/assistant using Curl from another Ubuntu box. They were played on Google Home mini.
  3. Installed the driver code Hubitat/V2.X Driver at master ยท nrmoles/Hubitat ยท GitHub and created a device 'GoogleHomeMini' using the driver.
  4. Created a new rule to send notification as text message to mobile phone and speak/notification to GoogleHomeMini device on a mode change
  5. I was able to see that on mode change the rule ran and I got text message on the phone (as one of the action) but the Google assistant relay driver device did not run.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Ajay

2 Likes

Are there any messages on the RPi? When I first setup v2 of the relay, it said it was 'quiet time' and would ignore the command. Also...IPv6 has been an issue in some instances. Disabling that on the router fixed issues 'here and there'. Personally...I couldn't get the v2 Relay running right so I installed the old version instead and all has been OK on my setup.

1 Like

@ajay - It appears that you're using the newer version 2 of Assistant Relay. The only other user that I am aware that put some effort into getting that version to work is @homeautomaton. You are probably using his modified version of my driver to try to get this working. However, I am not sure he ever was able to make it work based on his last post in my thread on assisant-relay...

As @john.hart3706 mentioned above, you could simply try v1 of assistant relay which I forked before v2 was released. This version has been working for me with no issues since I released it many months ago. Since it works so well, I have been reluctant to dive into the v2 assistant-relay. Some day, when I have lots of free time, I will take a look at v2. It just is not high on my priority list currently. If anyone else wants to pitch in and get v2 assistant-relay working with Hubitat, my feelings will not be hurt whatsoever! :slight_smile:

Thank you @ogiewon. Will the V1 driver work with the newer version of relay server below

I am newbie to Hubitat but I have programming experience. Once I understand the code/API for hubitat, hopefully I will be able to contribute to the community.

Ajay

No, the v1 Hubitat Driver only works with the v1 Assistant-Relay server (the version I have in my Hithub Repo, and linked above by @john.hart3706.)

The version of the Hubitat Driver that you've been experimenting with, was developed by @homeautomaton. He modified it to work with the v2 Assistant-Relay server, but I never saw any confirmation from him that he ever got it working. It really shouldn't be too difficult, as Greg Hesp simply changed the http interface to be more standards compliant. For example, I believe the new version now expects JSON.

Yeah I setup the v1 shortly after Dan created the driver. It is one of my best hub helpers. So glad I have it. Absolutely flawless performance. I now have it automatically locking my August lock on my back door by silently talking to Google Assistant.

Also setup a rule last night to randomize the color of an accent lamp we have near the kitchen. Each day 1 hour before sunset, instead of just turning that light on, my sunset rule now sets the private boolean for this rule to true, and then google assistant relay tells the Hue bridge set the bulb to one of these colors at random.

By the way, CC is actually [CC]. Just that the rule overview takes that out of the screen view for some reason. If you just enter CC then google assistant will say CC and everything that follows it. If you use [CC] hey google, then google assistant will do the thing you want after "[CC] hey google," with no response.
If you use [CCC] it will do the action of the phrase you type, but will give you a verbal response that it did that action.

2 Likes

Thank you @ogiewon.
I setup the V1 version of relay and got the driver code running on the hub now. Works flawlessly.
Thank you for great contribution.

@SmartHomePrimer
That is great idea. I am learning about rule engine. Setup basic rules so far about setting modes and HSM states based on presence but I am finding out rule engine is very powerful.

2 Likes