How do you read a zwave Table?

Let me begin by saying I'm really not having any issues with my Zwave at the moment (other than one sensor I think is just slow), It occurs to me that I don't necessarily know what everything in the Zwave details page conveys. I think I have been around and figured out the basics; Device ID, Routing, to a lesser extent route changes (I think I understand that unless it is more than what the name implies). I think it would be helpful to many, especially newbies to have a better understanding of what all the columns in the Zwave Device table actually mean and what we should do with that information. I am sure this would be of great benefit to others who are also just starting out. I'm really looking for a brief explanation of each is or what information they actually convey, and what to look for (positive or negative, black vs. red, higher values or lower values etc) The latter I think applies more to RTT and LWR RSSI. it's easy to just post a device page for assistance and get the immediate feedback you need, but understanding what others are seeing may help to figure out a problem for oneself, rather than going to the community for every issue that arises (something which I hev been guilty of in the past).

For reference here are the column headers. I can grab a shot of my own details page and post it later if that would help.

While I don't think I have ever seen a Zigbee page (I assume such a thing also exists), I guess the same questions could be asked for that as well, so that information would be welcome as well. Thanks!

I did find this in the Documentation. With that said, maybe some discussion about what these values ACTUALLY mean, and how to correct some of the less than optimal situations? For example a low or negative LWR RSSI or a High RTT Average. On that, I suspect I am going to hear a lot of recommendations for Repeaters. But here's my question on that. How do you get the devices to actually route through those repeaters? For example last year I included a Ring range extender and two Aeotech 7 Range extenders (2000 Sq ft single-level home). and NOTHING routed through the Aeotech range extenders at all and the device I wanted to use the Ring extender didn't. That's a decent amount of money put into something that won't be utilized by the mesh to begin with. Now, most of my issues have been solved with upgrading to the C8, though I do believe I still have a couple of devices that are Direct with a - RTT or a relatively high number of route changes.

First, what you're looking at is not really part of Hubitat; that is a third-party app. That being said, the data it uses are ultimately provided by the hub, and the interpretation should be the same for the values that match up. The Z-Wave Details | Hubitat Documentation page also has these explanations and would probably be a better start.

Beyond that, there are not any "hard and fast" numbers provided for most of these values because such guidelines do not really exist, and what's good or bad for a particular network depends on a combination of factors, including these (but not just one value). Since you said you aren't having problems, I probably wouldn't worry about it; if you are, using these values to locate the possible "worst" devices is a possible first step. If you're wondering about your particular network and not sure how to interpret the values, sharing the whole table here will probably give you some ideas or at least a way to compare to others' (which I'd be shocked if a search didn't turn up).

3 Likes

Yes, I realized it was from the Zwave Mesh Details community app, but as you said the infomration is coming from the hub, just displayed in a more linear fashion

I guess I hadn't scrolled down far enough when I looked at that page and went on to the troubleshooting page, which has much of the same information in this regard.

My main motivation for starting this was reflecting on the past when I have been trying to pull together information (or have seen others), to try and consolidate what they should be looking for. This could develop into one of those Resource-type threads that can help others just get going. To that end, when I get back home later this afternoon, I can post a shot of my details page for the sake of discussion. As I said I'm not having much noticeable trouble now, but I do think there are a couple of devices that have low LWR RSSI, or a high number of route changes. The last device was added about a week ago, and it is also the device that I question that seems to be somewhat slow, especially since the device it replaced was much quicker to response

But my primary goal is to just get the new folks an idea where to start looking and what to look at.