How Do I Wall Mount the C8 Hub

Any tips on how to wall mount the C8? My C4 had hook holes that had used and I see the C8 has nothing so its prob expecting to sit on a shelf?

1 Like

There are 3d printed wall mounts or some people are just using some command strips.
Mount with antennas to the side, power/eth up or down. This way you can point one antenna up and one down, they should be vertical.

2 Likes

Thanks @jtp10181 , so command hooks are safe and wont let the hub fall? I'll go that route until I save up for my 3D printer :wink:

Its not very heavy, so It should be fine. You could even get the Velcro ones so it can be pulled off if needed. I would just be careful to cover as little of the holes as possible. I know someone also said they mounted it logo side to the wall so the holes were facing out.

Could use plastic plumbers strapping also with screws, wont be very pretty though.

3 Likes

Some 3D print designs I found that should work for it:

The one I used on my C-7 won't work with the C-8 without modification, due to the antenna post locations.

1 Like

Those work great. Gorilla (glue) Reusable Mounting squares also work well, I have several devices mounted with those as well.

2 Likes

Perfectly safe. I have 2 hubs and several other devices mounted using them, and it hasn't been an issue. I'll note I do use the medium and large size, that can hold up to 5 pounds. Actually for the hub I just use one strip cut in half lengthwise. I place one half on one side of the hub, the other on the other. Place them along the outer edge of the hub so you don't impede the airflow into the hub.

Found this stuff at the hardware store (ace) called alien tape. A fraction of the cost of Gorilla and I like it better for mounting stuff and things. Gorilla is awesome, but silly expensive it you use a lot of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it reusable/ Wont damage your walls? Admittedly I have more with command strips than the Gorilla. I tried it on the recommendation of someone else in the community and have had decent results. Command strips aren't hefty enough to handle the hue indoor motion sensors. the magnet is so strong it pulls the command strips right off the wall.

1 Like

Yep, pretty much the same exact product but it seems to remove easier using the orbital wiggle motion. You get three rolls for the price of one Gorilla. I'd bet it's made in the same place. It's as safe as gaffers tape on your walls so no worries about damage from careful removal.

2 Likes

Couple additional 3D printed variants I designed a couple years back. It has now been edited to include the C8 as an option (although that is the same dimensions as the C7 and C5). Pre-generated STL files have also been renamed to include the C8.

4 Likes

is this the stuff??
Alien Tape 10 ft. L Double Sided Tape Clear - Ace Hardware

1 Like

I'm using this (Snell's wall mount) w/my C8 and it works great. The design works perfectly w/the new antenna mounts. I have a couple of thin strips of velcro on the back to hold it to the wall, which allows me to easily remove both the mount and hub if I need to. Five stars. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I've remixed the one I use with my C7, which has an area that allows the LED to be seen even when mounted vertically.

I just started printing it, so it'll be later this afternoon before I know whether it works as intended.
If it works, I'll post the remix on Printables.

Edit: Oops...forgot to account for the power adapter slot on my redesign.

4 Likes

as seen on tv! that's the stuff! :slight_smile:

p.s. lcw! make sure to leave extra material on whatever you are attaching so you can start the removal of the adhesive kind of like a command 3m adhesive. if you cover it up you will be there a while.

1 Like

@danabw do you have one for sell????? I would like to have a wall mount for the C-8 hub.

I don't sell them, that would be up to @snell to decide he wanted to do that, since it's his design. :slight_smile:

You can get a contract manufacturer to print one using the design files on the ThingVerse link. Mine was $5.43 including slow shipping. You can get fancy, but I just chose black SLA resin.

1 Like

My designs are posted under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

So, to my layman's knowledge, someone could quite readily print and sell them as long as they do not claim to own the design and credit me in a way such as saying "Designed by..." @snell / fillibar (as that is my username in Thingiverse) or (if they modify it and document how they modified it) "Original design..." with a link to the original on Thingiverse. They also cannot make it seem like I am endorsing any version of what they might provide (the service of printing it or a modified design for example).

2 Likes