How do I refresh state of Hue lights?

This is good practical advice for getting this beta product to work, thank you. I have read this on the forum as well. Much appreciated.

@mike.maxwell would you be willing to reassure us that "don't use HUE to control your lights" is not the long term vision for the company?

You’re looking at this the wrong way. The Hue API is the limit. You’re also misquoting me.

The problem you're running in to, and I have as well, is that you are trying to use both the native Hue controls (be it the Hue app or light switches paired directly to the Hue bridge) as well as a third party to control and monitor the lights.

If you control the Hue lights directly from the Hue app, you cannot expect that HE will be able to display the correct state of the lights immediately. You have just made a state change to lights completely outside of HE - how is HE supposed to know that you have requested a state change to the lights? The Hue bridge does not report any state changes back to any third party.

The closest you'll get with any third party application is to poll the Hue bridge periodically for changes. That's why @SmartHomePrimer says that you will not see a change for at least a minute if you are using the Hue app to make light changes, since the default poll rate is every 60 seconds. If you make any light changes from HE, then HE obviously knows about the change requested and will update the status immediately.

Once you understand these limitations that any third party will have interacting with the Hue bridge, then you know what behaviour you can expect from any interactions you have with the lights. I know this is not necessarily the answer you were looking for but hopefully I've been able to explain why you are seeing this behaviour.

2 Likes

@SmartHomePrimer and @mattias have answered this correctly, the issue in with Hues api, not Hubitat.

2 Likes

This thread has been very helpful, thank you, makes sense to me how the polling works for HE to become aware of status changes that occur outside of HE with the bulbs.

My question: How do I check/verify that the polling is working correctly? I have installed the Hue integration app, I have seen the options -> polling set to 1 minute. I toggled that to 10s, saved, toggled back to 1 minute as indicated in this forum thread above to trigger the polling schedule. I'm unsure it is working though - is there a place where I can check and see that polling is scheduled and that it has run?

Cheers and thank you, pardon if the question is basic (I am new to HE but really enjoying and appreciating it).
-Nico

Easiest way is to turn on a light via the Hue app and make sure that it's state changes in HE after 1 minute

1 Like

Thank you - simple but good test, and it passed. :grinning: I was curious to see this in HE just for my own knowledge, understanding what to review for future troubleshooting or tinkering.

I did have to set my configuration to disable polling and then to the value I wanted (1 minute) before I saw scheduled polls.

In case others are curious: I did click around a bit more, and found that if I go to the settings for the Hue Bridge Integration app, there is a top table that reflects the value of the Poling setting, and then if I scroll to the very bottom, there is a section for scheduled jobs where I can see the next scheduled poll and the previously run poll. They are in 1 minute increments, GREAT! Curious to me, there is another "bridgePoll" row item that is scheduled once for this afternoon, not sure what that is.

This is a deal breaker for me then you says it is the hue API that is the limit that how come my hue to Smartthings integration is instant I can turn the hue.lights on via a hue dimmer on the hue bridge and inside of 1 second Smartthings also says the light is on or off.

Why is Hubitat different I use hue dimmers for my light switches that now mean if I changed to Hubitat and I turned the light on via the dimmer, Hubitat won't see the change for a minute. Seems like a hubitat issue of Smartthings can see it straight away.

Looks like Smartthings is superior in at least 1 way then they don't have this issue with the same hue bridge.

On my hue to Smartthings integration changes made outside of Smartthings update instantly in the Smartthings app.

Read the info in this short thread.

My Hue bridge doesn't seem to respect the polling interval.

My interval is set to 1 minute:

Time now:

Next bridgePoll is in a little under 2 hours

Any suggestions @mike.maxwell ?

Set another interval and click done, then go back to 1 minute and click done. This usually fixes it.

Didn't fix it. :confused:

6 hours in between each pull atm.:

There's actually no polling scheduled in that screenshot. From what I can tell, the scheduled job for the regular poll/refresh of the Bridge is called poll(), whereas the one that attempts re-discovery (via SSDP) is bridgePoll(), but that just helps find the Bridge again in case its IP address changed.

I'm not sure why this isn't working, but it sounds like you've tried the idea of changing the setting, hitting Done, then going back in and choosing your desired setting and "Done"-ing out again. As a workaround, if you want to keep using Hubitat's built-in integration, I suppose you could create a rule with a periodic trigger that runs the "refresh" command on the Hue Bridge device every so often...

I believe I have the same issue. I was briefly looking at it before Christmas and I came to the conclusion then that the Hue polling (still) doesn’t work. I’ve also tried setting and resetting the polling interval. I don’t think I have ever had polling working and I’ve had a few new installations of the Hue bridge and various HE hubs and versions (from 2.0.7 I think).

I would recommend you check out @bertabcd1234's CoCoHue. You won't regret it and I can almost guarantee your polling bug will be solved.

1 Like

Work's like a charm! Bug was resolved instantly! Thanks! :star:

@mattias Maybe this will help you aswell? :slight_smile:

I’ll give it a go :slight_smile: I’ve got other issues with Hue as well at the moment so it would be interesting to see if they resolve themselves as well.

i have hue polling set to one minute..i just tested it and it is working fine for me.. running 2.2.3.148

Same issue for me - running version 2.2.8.156 - polling set to 1min, changed it, changed it back, but it just doesn't update at all. I am referring specifically to hue light groups here. Any thoughts?