How can I migrate from C7 to C8?

Can I just backup my C7 and restore it on a C8?

If not, what is the process to migrate from C7 to C8?
What happens to my automation rules and Zigbee devices? Do I have to register them again or do I just startup C8 after I turned off the C7? I guess if I have to register them again I will have to recreate all automation rules, right?

1 Like

There is a free migration from C-5/C-7 to C-8.. This is a database backup and full Z-Wave and Zigbee radio backups as well.

4 Likes

Here are the instructions:

You need to update to 2.3.5 first.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info.

So this section " qualifying C-7 hubs will see a Create a cloud backup for C-8 migration tile on the Backup and Restore page that can be used to do the same. (If you do not see this option, your account/hub is not eligible for this one-time option, and seamless migration is not possible without Hub Protect.)" is a bit vague and thus I am rather reluctant to buy a C-8.

Scenario: I buy a C-8 but still don't see the tile in my C-7. Hmm, bad luck. But no. In that case I rather stick with my C-7.

The page you linked also doesn't mention anything regarding my Rule-5.1 rules and my dashboards.

Do I just export them and import them after the migration? Will the devices all have the same name and identifiers on the new hub?

I used the CoCoHue - Hue Bridge Integration to sync my Hue devices to the hub. I am afraid that my entire setup will be broken after the migration.

1 Like

Those are apps like any other. Rules and dashboards are a part of the hub database backup.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. We will further clarify that sentence to limit future confusion. Your free migration is part of the C-8 purchase and if you don't see the tile in your C-7, you will not be stuck. We will resolve the problem so you can seamlessly migrate to the new C-8 hub.

Both of those reside in the hub's database, therefore will be restored on the C-8.

Yes

It shouldn't be, although if there are any issues with your CoCoHue integration, I am sure @bertabcd1234 will be happy to help you out.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the answers. I'll check with the CoCoHue dev and then order my C-8. I am happy with my C-7, but it won't hurt to migrate and if that migration works I will be more at ease the next time. :wink:

CoCoHue will not have any problems migrating to a new hub. Communication is entirely local, and most other LAN integrations shouldn't need much either unless you had to set up something in the other system pointing to your hub's IP address and that IP address changed. (Cloud integrations are a different story, but most aren't much work either.)

Thanks for the info.

My IP will stay the same, since I am going to replace my old hub and I won't be using both. But I will still have to connect the new hub to the Hue bridge. This means the user that is used to connect to Hue will be different. And after the migration to the new hub, the devices will have the same name and id. I was just worried that a new sync from the Hue bridge will create duplicate devices or mess up the restored the devices.

Since I do not know the inner workings of CoCoHue and because I have like 30 years of IT experience I am just playing devil's advocate here.

1 Like

Btw, I have to say that this is a great community. :+1: :heart:

Not exactly; the "username" is requested during setup of CoCoHue, then stored in the app. This is part of your hub database and will move to any hub. The Hue Bridge doesn't much care what the username/key is or where it's coming from (e.g., what hub, or even multiple at the same time, though I wouldn't recommend that)--just that it is a valid one it previously authorized.

For anyone reading this who's curious, the built-in Hue integration and really any Hue integration given how authorization on the Bridge works currently, should also be fine.

1 Like

See, this was the crucial info. :wink: Thanks a bunch.

This should help to

Found Answer ... Boot up and reset radios ASAP....

<Hi, My C7 remains unplugged after migration.
How do I "clean it up" to use as a second hub in a mesh?
Can I boot it back up without it interfering with the C8?>
Tom

1 Like

Just migrated from C7 to C8 and I get an error that the Zigbee network is offline. Anyone have this issue? I tried rebooting and still have the error.

Please send us a private message with your hub id at @support_team.

I did two migrations with hubs running CoCoHue and both worked just fine. I didn't even have to re-authenticate.

2 Likes

I have the same issue. I'll send my hub id over.

Just got my C8s today and also has the ZigBee offline issue too on the one hub around an hour after setting it up and migrating from a C5 hub.

I did the Reboot option on the Zigbee Details page and it seemed to fix it so far for me.

I've done everything I can think of:

• Zigbee reboot
  • Hub reboot (several times)
  • Hub shutdown
  • Zigbee disable, reboot, zigbee enable

No change, either Offline, Initialising, or Rebooting