How are you using homekit?

How'd you get it on the lockscreen?

Widgets

1 Like

Latest hubitat update is making the HomeKit icons quicker to sync to changes.

Setup homebridge to get the missing contact sensors on HomeKit

So far so good.

I figured, but Homekit (or the Home app) don't show up in my list of options of widgets to add...

We use Alexa for voice control, but Homekit for hand held control on phone, or also voice control via a watch is amazing. I love the dashboard with the little widgets across the top. The iOS16 app changed it up a bunch but I am getting used to it. I can just pop open the Home app and get a view of the whole house in one place.

1 Like

Purely used as a dashboard and to turn devices on/off in my house. All automations stay in Hubitat whenever possible. I tested a few automations inside HomeKit but found them to be flakier than HE. Very happy with the integration so far.

Widgets, specifically from the Apple "Home" app on iOS 16.
e.g.

I can't get that to mine either. Followed the directions, but it never shows up. I'm on V16.

Primary usage: Emulating my Wyze devices that I can't get into Hubitat, but can get into HomeKit, via virtual devices and automations in HomeKit and not paying for IFTTT.

Secondary: Cleaner UI for family members.

Four primary uses for me:

1 - in my car with CarPlay so I don't have to pay Chevy for Alexa integration
2 - control devices in home via my Apple watch
3 - on my balcony to control devices where I have an Apple HomePod but no Alexa device
4 - while watching TV via AppleTV using the remote which is better than yelling at Alexa

[EDIT]Forgot to add that I also use it for presence using a virtual switch

3 Likes

Does the Chevrolet implementation of CarPlay differ than other manufacturers? I don't see HomeKit listed as an app in my Mazda...

In my case it’s using SIRI on CarPlay.

CarPlay pretty much looks the same regardless of the car; it's just the size of the interface that differs from model to model.

Yeah, Siri is the main way to use HomeKit in CarPlay. One notable exception (the only one I know of) is garage door openers. A garage door tile appears in the CarPlay screen when you're close to your home. Since the HomeKit integration in Hubitat doesn't support garage doors, you probably won't see this tile.

That’s interesting. My Genie connects directly to HomeKit but I don’t remember seeing that tile. I’ll have to look further.

Edit: I stand corrected. It connects to Siri and makes shortcuts. Be nice if it did put a tile on the screen.

$79.99 or $159.99 for 2 @ costco currently.

1 Like

I don't know if there's a setting to make that appear (don't think there is); it just shows up for me automatically. It usually pops up about a block away from home on the CarPlay split screen (the one with the map on one side and the music on the other). The garage tile appears in the bottom right corner of that screen. Something like this:

(not my actual screen)

For completeness, I'll note that I'm currently bringing the garage door into HomeKit through the Maker-API Homebridge plugin.

1 Like

Wow, how do you get the split screen? I'm new to CarPlay so still learning that.

The icon in the lower left-hand corner. You should be able to toggle between the standard home screen view and the dashboard-type view in the screenshot.

That's my favorite part of the homekit integration (using homebridge for that specific garage combo)