HousePanel Dashboard App for Hubitat

Adding the hue lights seem to cause serious lags to the dashboard, regardless of the device type. I was having a similar problem on ST which was resolved in an update related to polling. I temporarily disabled my HP to get webcore running on that device and haven’t had a chance to re-setup HP to try again.

I had been running HP prior Hue integration on HE. At that point, Hue was integrated on my ST hub. Earlier on in the HP app development, the ST Hue lights caused the same problem to my HP setup. The developer changed the polling and it fixed the issue. So, I am guessing it is a polling issue related to the HE app?

I double checked that the hue lights are only added as lights and not other devices and that does not appear to be the problem.

Do you have many hue lights connected to HP? If I only add a few hue lights, HP is still working normally. The HP lagging starts when I add all or many of my hue lights. I had the same number of lights connected to HP via ST and it was working fine. If I delete the lights from HP, everything goes back to normal on HP. I’ve been using virtual switches as a work around but they dont let me take advantage of all the tile attributes related to the lights.

I haven't ported my Hue hub into hubitat yet. I have 4 Hue lights so I can test it with 4 and let you know. I can't think of any reason lag would be tied to Hue but stranger things have happened. Have you tried looking at the logs or checking for errors in your browser control panel? (F12 on chrome).

Ok reading through all of this - can this be used with HE alone now, or does it still require an ST installation? Sorry but trying to follow all the cross replies in this style forum is a PITA sometimes :slight_smile:

It can work with just Hubitat- there is a switch in the set up to use hubitat or both.

1 Like

Ok, I have a project for my next day off and for that RaspberryPI that has been staring at me with side-eye to find a better use for it :slight_smile:

Have fun! It made me start to learn css to take advantage of the infinite customization. However, it’s still extremely customizable just via the dashboard. I’ve been working on a dashboard with a floorplan of my house I’m excited to get completed. On the list of projects at the moment.... I like the Hubitat dashboard very much. However, at this point, if you really want to customize and control the dashboard, you probably will enjoy hp more.

1 Like

Yeah - I had it working under ST for a while and like what it could accomplish ... then I started moving to HE and well... my ST projects all died on the vine

Time to replant this vine over in the HE Gardens :sunflower:

So I have it installed and 'working' ... and I've tried it both on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and my synology NAS ... it takes forever to load, and clicking a light you can count to 5 before it turns on and I regularly get errors in the web error log about timeouts etc.

Does anyone have this working well on a Pi or Synology?

For the record, I did have it running on my syno when i was on ST with no issue. I did a complete reinstall (deleted and recloned from git just to be sure) and really surprised on the lack of performance as it was so much faster in the ST only iteration

Runs great on my pi. I get near instant response to my devices. Initial load is maybe 5 seconds. This pi is also running node servers for tplink and kuku harmony. As well as a vlc instance for vlcthing.

Not sure WTF is wrong then .. I'll probably redo the pi

Things I am doing 'odd' are USB Boot, running on a new 3B+ models so i'll try it on one of my older 3B models and on an SD card just to rule out anything weird on the new hardware

Out of curiosity - how many devices do you have available to the App? Maybe I am just 'too heavy handed' with my automations / devices

Lol currently have a ridiculous amount available through the other hub. Maybe 10 through hubitat. This is also a new pi 3b+. Using stock raspbian. Boot off sd.

Ok... I have moved nearly everything over to HE with <10 devices on ST via HubLink for motion mostly and ~100 devices including Hue and Lutron connected devices

I'll try rebuilding the Pi back to stock - and pairing down what I am enabling in the HP app ... not sure what 'ridiculous' is defined at .. but ~100+ is no where near crazy for me :slight_smile:

Ridiculous is in the neighborhood of a hundred or so.

1 Like

Ok so we're both nuts :cocktail:

For me it’s not the number of devices that bog it down, but the number of hue bulbs. I’ve got well north of 100 devices running fine on housepanel. I’ve got 47 hue bulbs total and anytime I add more than a few, it causes it to slow way down. I am using virtual switches instead of hue bulbs on the dashboard to keep it working. You mentioned you had hue bulbs. I’m curious if they are bogging your dashboard down or if it’s just me.

Interesting ... i'll pull them later and see
I have about 20 bulbs connected to Hue (Both Hue and Cree bulbs)

I have 7 hue bulbs connected directly to the hubitat hub and they work fine with HP. I don’t have any degradation until I add bulbs connected to the hue bridge.

So I'm @ work and on a vpn connection to my house and I can confirm that things are as fast as expected once I removed the Hue Bridge connected bulbs...

I have all the hue and cree bulbs over on the Hue bridge to prevent zigbee issues from these lights - so I guess I'll be creating a couple dozen virtual switches/dimmers/lights for them to use in HP

The real question is what is causing the performance issues and how can we capture the data necessary to debug ?

@patrick any ideas or suggestions?

Edit - an interesting thing I noticed is that i have grouped a number of lights connected to the Hue bridge with the HE built in Groups app - e.g.: I have three Hue Bulbs over my breakfast bar and I have a group unexpectedly named "Breakfast Bar". If I add these to HP they work w/out any issue ... but if i add the individual bulbs things go sideways

BTW, this is specific to Hubitat. When I had the bridge on ST, this did not happen in later versions. I had something similar happen early on in HP, but the developer changed the polling and corrected it.