Hosted Images for Dashboards

All,

If I host an image on a web server I'm running internal on my network, it should display on the local dashboard, but what about on the cloud dashboard? Does an internal hosted image for the dashboard get pushed out through the hub for the cloud dashboard to use?

Does the cloud dashboard put the dashboard together internally and then send it out to the cloud? I'm trying to figure out how it works. I'd like to host some pictures on my dashboard and have those same pictures be on the cloud dashboard. I'm also wanted to only have the web server be internal only. No external access.

Hi,

All mine are showing on the cloud dashboards :+1:

1 Like

and all your images are hosted internally on your own web server?

All local, yes.

I'm setting it up and I've got an image working locally.

http://localhost/Pics/dog.jpg

But image doesn't show outside of home network. Are you doing anything different?

I have a NAS webserver, so I'm using the IP.

I don't know if localhost is just you obfuscating the real location but you might want to use the IP address or a named location if you have a local DNS server.

I replaced the localhost with the IP of my webserver. Are your pictures accessible from outside your network?

In fact, I should take that comment back. I was using local, but viewing cloud, and they showed.

I then used my phone, and on 4G they don't show.
Is this normal @patrick?

Thanks
Roy

I can see the images on both Local and Cloud when I'm on my own network. Once i'm out of my network, the images do not show.

1 Like

Yes this is to be expected.

When you load up a cloud dashboard inside your LAN, you have access to local resources. When you open up a cloud dashboard outside your LAN, you do not. So locally hosted images will not load.

2 Likes

ok, well that basically answers my question. Thanks Patrick.

Thanks @patrick :+1:

Hello sptrr99,
If you are running a web server, is it a Linux based server? If so, then this is what I do to make sure my images are available for the R-Pod Owner's Forum:
Place a copy of the image to share in /var/www/html/(image directory if desired)/image.jpg/png, etc.
Use a service like DNSExit (free) (or DynDNS (pay) or other DNS service) to enable access to the web server from outside your network. I would configure the web server to use a non-standard port to cut the traffic such as 8080 or 8008 or something like that and configure your firewall and SELinux to accept the non-standard port.

Once this is done, you can then use a link to access your images. In my case, it is something like http://servername.domain:8008/directory (if used)/filename.png/jpg

Scale the image to something reasonable. 800x600 works well. 640x480 would look good on a phone also. The scaled image will take up less space and transmit faster. You can use a program like the GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) for this purpose or any other image editor that will let you do the scaling.

If you are using Windows, you are on your own but the principles should be the same.

Here's an image just to show you what I am talking about:

The link is http://hafflys.linkpc.net:8008/images/3rdRealitySwitch.jpg

That would work for me, but I was trying to not have my image out on the web accessible to anyone. I'm still trying figure out a way to do this but keep the images secured by something.

Thank you for the write up.

If you don't publicize the links, it won't be available for just anyone. You could go farther than I did an limit access to the images to you alone by requiring some sort of password or token to access the images. A web search will lead you to information on how to implement this.

I just put the photos on Google photos then copy image address to the tile. Working both local and cloud links.

2 Likes

I guess another option is run it over a VPN and just use the "internal" dashboard URL. Also a fair amount of work . . .

1 Like

@BorrisTheCat were you able to use a pic stored in Google photos as you suggested? If so did you have to do anything special as far as sharing goes to make it display as a background graphic? jpg or png, does it matter?

Nothing special that I'm aware off, I just found the photo and used copy link address then pasted that in the box.