Honeywell T6 Thermostat

These thermostats can be configured not to work as z-wave repeaters. There is so little communication between a thermostat and the z-wave controller that I wouldn't make that change if it were my choice.

how so? Do tell.

Using Z-tools I can see traffic going thru it, which is why it has been on the short list.

Exclude it from Hubitat. Then disconnect the C conductor, so it is powered solely by batteries. Then include it again. It will include in FLiRS mode - so it will not work as a repeater.

After inclusion, connect the C conductor again. Now although it is line powered from the furnace transformer, it will continue to operate in FLiRS mode.

2 Likes

I don't understand why intentionally join it not repeating? they make good repeaters..

1 Like

Not the T6 (it's z-wave+) - his older z-wave Honeywell thermostat.

ahhh

1 Like

Now you're sounding like an Irish Spring commercial :crazy_face:

1 Like

I got mine off Ebay too. it was an open box item but still brand new in the bag. Only paid 60 for it so I thought it was a steal :smile:

1 Like

My new house was installed with the WiFi version T6. Is there any way to integrate them into Hubitat or will I have to replace them?

That can be changed in the settings anywhere from 0 to 5F. You have to go to the advanced installer menu and it is ISU # 303.

Here is the link: https://forwardthinking.honeywellhome.com/pdfs/T6_Pro_Z-Wave_Install_Guide_33-00294.pdf

Jump to page 14 to see the advanced installation setup.

The setting you've referred to is the differential and not the temperature bias that @JasonJoel and I referred to . The differential determines the minimum temperature change required for an auto-switchover from heat to cool and vice-versa.

The temperature bias (or offset) is ISU #1420 (in the manual you linked to). It's purpose is to correct between the actual temperature (eg. obtained as an average of several sensors) and the displayed temperature. This is restricted from -3F to 3F, which is very small compared to most thermostats. For example, the Vivint CT200 has a bias of 6 degrees (-6F to 6F), and I believe the GoControl has a bias of 10F.

I probably should have had my coffee before jumping in on that. I probably left the bias on default on mine. I've been meaning to try @bcopeland's T6 driver, but still haven't gotten around to it.

1 Like

The bias is useful if you want to control the thermostat using the average of sensors around the house. It only becomes important if the thermostat is installed in a location whose temperature differs quite a bit than the rest of the house.

That's the situation in my house, and it would not be easy to move the thermostat to a better location. I used to use an ecobee3 with remote sensors to compensate for this. After switching to a z-wave thermostat, I use automations that use sensor averages to control the main thermostat basically as a relay. Works pretty well. But those automations would be a heck of a lot easier, if I could correct the bias by more than +/- 3 degrees ......

Sorry, if this is a silly question, but where can I find @bcopeland 's Advanced drivers?

Here is the post from when @bcopeland released the driver. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen several positive comments about it. He has a link to his github in that post that will take you to other drivers he has published.

There is also an official driver packaged with HE.

2 Likes

EDIT: Read gory details below if interested, but bottom line was that after doing the Factory Reset, I had to pull the batteries and go through setup on the thermostat again for it to allow for Auto mode, and show what looks like full information on the T6 device page in HE. Still looking at it, but appears things are getting normal.

=======================================

I've got an odd issue.

I've paired the T6 w/my hub. The configuration section of the device page for the thermostat shows the following:

I've hit configure so it should be set the same on the device. However, on the T6 itself, only the following modes are avaialable:

• Cool
  • Heat
  • EMHeat
  • Off

I've tried to use the device page setting to set the T6 to Auto mode, but the thermostat persists in only showing the options above. Auto remains MIA. I also don't have any option on the T6 on-screen menu to do a full reset of the thermostat - the only reset option is Schedule reset.

Any advice or suggestions? I've looked at the T6 manual and didn't find anything of help there.

EDIT: I finally was able to do a factory reset on the T6 (the "hidden" menu you get when you hold the Menu button doesn't show up consistently).

Anyway, did a reset and now it's only showing Heat, Cool, and Off, still no auto even though I've set it to Auto in the device configuration. Also, the "Current States" shown in the Device page don't match with what the config section shows, and the values there don't include temp.

Halp! :slight_smile: @bcopeland - if you have any ideas, really appreciate help. I got this T6 used, starting to wonder if it's messed up.

I did manually turn on cooling on the thermostat and then the current states updated to show temp, finally. Still only has Cool, Heat, and Off options on the thermostat.

Log:

That's a good idea.The house we just bought has a T6, I'm not sure it's not Z-wave ( I have a reason for my suspicion), but if it's NOT, I've been thinking of upgrading. nice way to save some hassle and a few bucks too!

I looked at that but it does have some cloud issues. I ended up going with a CT101 and have been very happy with it

If it's Zwave, you'll see a "Z-wave Setup" option in the menu.

Tap the Menu option, then right arrow through the list of options to see if the Z-Wave option appears.

1 Like