Homemade Environment Sensor + Bluetooth little brother. Here are new possibilities

Thanks, I think I'll pass on this version. I have too many projects going on right now! I know I'll kick myself when people start posting cool stuff they are doing with these. lol

1 Like

Here are the list where these modules will be going.

@LosinIt
@Chen555
@brianspranger
@cwwilson08
@nutcracker

You guys will definitely get one. I will asked you which version do you want. If you have may latest environment module, I can send you a module that will piggyback the data through serial port of the Environment Sensor. This is a convenient way to position the modules as you have the freedom of where you will be placing them in the relation to the devices that you want to get data from.

The Ethernet version will need an Ethernet connection so that you can plugged in the module to ethernet port. This module will have better reception since it will have less interference.

In real life, the protocol has done quite a good job on handling interference between bluetooth and the zigbee. I am a bit surprised. In addition, most of my DTH today is targeted to support bluetooth devices that broadcast data. Therefore, the bluetooth module mostly be listening to data. I will hardly send any data. Of course, In the future, it may change as I do plan to support devices like inkBird bbq probe, Reverie bed and Blutooth bulb where it does make active connection to the device.

@brianwilson @cwwilson08, I google the tile last night. Here what I learn so far. If you have 2020 model of Tile Pro, it would not work. It seems that Tile Maker does send Advertising data. It is very likely that we can use the device as a Beacon to detect presence. However, Tile maker is more than a beacon. You can send command to make the Tile make sound. If you need this functionality working, I cannot guarantee that it can be done.

@brianwilson @cwwilson08, If the Tile does not look visible to integrate beyond just as presence sensor, please let me know if you still can put a good use of the module. Otherwise, I would like to allocate it for other members. As you can see, I do not have a lot of them. I really want to get the most value in term of learning and be able to get value out of it for the community. In the future, If there are enough interest, I can make more of these modules.

In general, Here are tools that I use to investigate the devices that I am working on.

1. Please download NRFConnect from app store. A few post up, there are some conversation that you can scan a bluetooth device. I will need basically Raw Data for the Advertisement information. Please scan your device a few time and also if you can recycle your device between scans. Some device do not like to be scan. They would change their information dynamically between scan. I am guessing Tile Pro does something like this. We do not want to support this type of device at this time. NRFConnect can make a connection to the device as well. Once connected, it can subscribe to notification, read and write attribute. If you come across google link that has already reverse engineered the protocol, you can use it to verify it. Please pay attention whether the device keep getting disconnected. NRFConnect can maintain connection. That disconnect maybe a sign that there are more needed to authenticate the connection. This lead me to talk about the second tool.

2. Android can sniff bluetooth packet that the application run with the device that it control. You can get the dump file. If you can get this dump file, I can open it with wire shark and learn more about what the protocol is. This is basically what you need to do. Some version of Android or phone may have slight variant to the process. Please look up for your phone mode on google how to do this. We need the "hci snoop log" file.

Please play around with the application while the log is taken. For example, if you push a button on the app and have the device do something, please do this while the log is taken. To help me, please also do not take too much log. You can temporarily disconnect your other bluetooth connection. It can be hard for me to read large log. I have to eventually separate the other logs entry from the entry from the device that we are interested on.

I am planning to go through and contact the members above this week. As an ETA, I should be able to send the modules out probably at the end of the week.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

I'll go with the serial piggyback version. I sent you a PM regarding your address.

Yup. I got them. I will reach out to you when I am about to send it.

I would just use it for presence. I don't want to trigger the tile to do anything, but if I can use the tile as a presence device, then that would be a cheap way to do it without a phone.

In that case, can we just double check with nrfconnect. It should be available for iphone or Android. I am sure that there is one on Android. All we need is a scan. I heard that it will broadcast every 8 seconds.

It would be nice to see for sure what the broadcast packet look like. If you can do a post of a picture like in post #22 or #24. Please also do it at different time and pay attention to mac address. Again, I heard that some device will do (not just have) dynamic mac to obfuscate them self. I never see one personally. But, this is not something that we can deal for now.

I will take an Ethernet version. I have Ethernet ran everywhere.

I gotta figure out which Bluetooth devices I want to grab.

Let me know how much I owe you

My tile device

Did I get that right?

1 Like

Yes. That is it. This should be enough if you just want to make it as presence sensor.

Please do wait for a few our and check again whether the mac address changed.

Thanks
Iman

I am not sure what else to use it for. I'll work on catching data from the other app you mentioned if it is helpful.

Edit to add. My device is a few years old.

1 Like

Just curious... Can you connect to it? Please share the characteristics once connected. I am not sure that we can make it play some tone by writing to one of the characteristic.

1 Like

I saw some video that you can push a button on your phone. Then, the tile will make beeping sound. This is a useful feature to have.

Older stuff make live easier to work with.

1 Like

cool....

If you have a chance to sniff with Android, I am suspecting that the application will write something to one of the characteristic in service 0xFEED. If we can find out about it, it would be something that is nice to have.

OK I am working at this. It is a bit more involved. I also see there is an option to make your phone ring from the tile. Not sure if this could be exploited as well.

Indeed, I am guessing this will be harder to do. But lets see. To take advantage of this, the Tile may be "paired". The tile knows how to make a connection to devices that it is paired to and send a signal. I do not have support for pairing at this moment. But, let see what it does under the sniffer.

Ok I think I got some logs. will pm with link

@cwwilson08 @brianwilson, I got a chance to review the bluetooth sniffer from @cwwilson08. It seems that there are some protocol from the phone to the Tile.

To reverse engineer the protocol, it will be time consuming. This protocol may be needed to get additional functionality from the tile. Perhaps the playing sound notification on the tile.

At this point, the Tile Maker would look like a presence sensor. I am not sure in term of real use distance ( with walls within a house). In some google search, there is a mention about 5 to 8 m range of the Tile. Is this something that you guys want to try?

@iharyadi

Honestly I was just trying to help. With the range limitations the best thing I can think of is putting it on the dog collars to get alerts when he is near the trash lol.

I am happy to help you test, but there is no pressing need. If you have a better application for the sensor go forward with that. If something comes up I see a use case for I will happily purchase a sensor in the future.

edit. i would be willing to send you the tile device if you want it.

Understood. I appreciate your help. The Tile is a nice device to support. Reverse engineered the protocol is just tricky. Some of the device that I work with has someone else has published the protocol. Some device have really trivial protocol design such as sending "on" or "off" to bluetooth characteristic. Unfortunately with Tile, it is more complex than than. It would have been nice for them to just make sound when we write a value to one of the characteristic. But, I do not see that on your log.

As a presence sensor is trivial.

Ok, I take note. I really appreciate your flexibility and help so far. I will set a dead line. If there are no interesting cases coming my way, I will PM you. Lets do the Tile integration.

Lets wait. Again, I appreciate the offer. I have seen the log. Having the device to reverse engineer the protocol will help a lot. But, it still may not be walk in the park. If I have an opening in my schedule to work on this, I will let you know. Creating DTH for presence sensor is on the other hand very simple.

Thanks
Iman