HomeKit

I did reboot. I don't even get to install it, i get the error when I click on it in the list of apps available to install.

Hmm... Back up your hub from settings>>backup and restore. Click the download button and download the backup to your pc. Goto yourhubip:8081 and do a softreset and after it prompts on reboot use the backup your made to your pc. Then go ahead and try adding it. If that doesn't work then roll back to the previous version and then update again.

1 Like

Yes.

Can you PM me your hub's id? I can take a look at the engineering logs, there probably is something there.

Mine has been working fine till this afternoon. Now all the devices in Home are saying 'No Response'. Is there some kind of refresh or something that can be done?

No big deal at this point as I'm just playing around with it.

I've seen some other posts where this is happening. From past experiences with this I've always fixed it with a HomeKit hub reboot and if you have multiple HomeKit hubs like HomePods apple tv's around major update times definitely do a reboot or power off and back on. I've also seen if you're using apple Tv's and HomePods in your HomeKit you might want to try disabling the apple tv's as controllers. So unplug or reboot your apple devices wait a good 15 minutes or so and things should get back to normal.

At the present time I don’t have any HomeKit hubs. Got one on order, but not here yet.

I have an iPhone and iPad. Have rebooted both.

I've seen this happen with my Lutrons directly intergrated to Homekit and my Homebridge on my Rpi. I mention this as that to me means it's a common Homekit issue and not specific to this integration from my experience. Usually re-connecting to Wifi or rebooting my appletv instantly fixes it, or it self-fixes over time,.

1 Like

I added one more device from he and all the others started working again.

And now they’re gone again.

I have now moved overt to the built in HomeKit app. I had to create a few rules to keep track and operate my door lock and garage doors.
Everything works as before except that the lock and garage doors doesn’t look as a door lock and garage doors, just switches, and we have to say turn on/off instead of lock/unlock and open/close.
I think a workaround could be to create Shortcuts named lock/unlock and open/close but haven’t tried that yet.

Conclusion: The built in HomeKit app is super easy to setup and get running and you don’t need another device running Homebridge. I think that for most users, this will be enough.
Hopefully Apple will allow more devices such as locks and garage doors in the future.

Great job Hubitat!

Update. I just created Shortcuts to lock/unlock our door lock and it works fine askin Siri to lock/unlock the door. :slight_smile:
To unlock the lock I have Siri asking me for a 4 digit code (hard coded in the Shortcut) for safety.

1 Like

Mine keeps saying, as noted above, No Response. Then I add one more device and they immediately start working again. Or at least for awhile, then it quits again. Is there something in HomeKit I need to change to keep it active?

Installed the built-in app yesterday, am pretty pleased with it -- but, when I woke up this morning noticed that everything is listed as 'No Response' (sadly, this was discovered while demonstrating cool new integration to wife -- WAF -1) -- did 'Advanced -> Reload Devices' in the app, which fixed it for me.

2 Likes

Reload devices link at the bottom should have the same effect as adding/removing a device.
Can you send me the hub id? I'll take a look at the engineering logs, there may be some clues there.

That's an Apple requirement, no border devices allowed. (garage doors, locks, anything of that like).
I moved to the Beta HomeKit within hubitat so I can manage it all in one place, I am keeping homebridge running because I can still get any doors into my Apple Home at this time, which I want to do.

I get the point from Apple, but it is stupid that they dont allow border devices, if I want my locks or garage doors integrated I should be able to do so without someone telling me no.

Since I don't have a homekit hub yet, I wonder if it has something to do with that. Although my Ipad has not left the house and I have the home app on it. But it loses the connection also when my phone does.

I did the Reload and that worked.

Pm'd you my hub ID to see if there is anything that helps. Thanks.

1 Like

FYI, the iPad needs to stay plugged in to act as a hub.

1 Like

As of iPadOS 16 the iPad can no longer act as a HomeHub.

3 Likes

I believe you can.

1 Like

Don't update to 16.2 beta if you don't have it yet. The beta's got its own can of worms...

2 Likes

I set my Ipad up as a hub. Worked ok. I turned the WIFI off on my phone and it still connected ok. I'll see if that cures the problem with the no response issue.