Homekit integration - only one iphone?

Hi everyone,
So I used the built-in homekit integration app for the first time, all went very well. Then I wanted to do the same for the rest of the family, starting with my daughter's iphone, had her scan the QR code, and we got an error, that the accessory is already in use in antoher device, has anyone experienced the same, and is there a fix ? I mean, it would be unbelievable that by design the integration can only be used by one device ??

Thanks,
Amine

You need to share control of your Apple Home, as described in this article from Apple Support:

3 Likes

What @aaiyar said... I would also think about maybe getting a Homepod mini (even a refurbed one on ebay) as you could then have a full homekit hub and access it outside your local network.

2 Likes

I like the feature in 'Home', that once you've shared your home to the family, any HomeKit cameras can be configured so that they can only be viewed or recorded when everyone has left. Likewise as soon as someone arrives home it can disable the camera again (I thought I was going to have to mess on using smart outlets to power the cameras on and off based on location)

2 Likes

OK, thanks everyone. Only problem I have is that I do not have a pod, and I do not have the option to add/invite people to control my home (i think it is because I do not have a device acting as a home server). I am still quite suprised that Hubitat cannot be integrated separately in different Home apps / IOS devices separately...

AFAIK, this is a restriction of the HomeKit architecture. Nothing to do with Hubitat.

6 Likes

Yes.

It's the first thing they mention: " you must set up a home hub to share control of your home."

If you do add a HomePod Mini or AppleTV which act as Home Hubs for HomeKit, you get not only Adding people to control the home, but Automations as well as Remote. Without, you can only manually control the devices. You cannot setup an Automation and you cannot use the Home app when you are away from your house. And that HomePod Mini is a Matter Border Router, so you can add Matter devices to your system. That's 4 features for one expense :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok thanks much, then shifting gears: how about not using Homekit, but simply find a way in Hubitat, to allow anyone in my family to scan an NFC tag to open the front door (I have a smartlock already running very well).

The whole context about homekit integration in my question was really to do just this, use NFC tag reading from an iphone as trigger for an action,,,

Thanks much !

That can be done in Rule Machine which supports both local and cloud endpoints. This thread (How-To: Program NFC Tags/Stickers For Automations In Hubitat) should get you started and allow you to design it as desired.

More specifically, you want an IOS shortcut that triggers your Rule Machine rule. Create the rule following the directions at the top of the thread; then, look at post 28 (How-To: Program NFC Tags/Stickers For Automations In Hubitat - #28 by Hubirat) with the specifics on how to create a shortcut.

3 Likes

Super ! It works, had to look for the Get URL action as it was not displayed, and now it works great. I thank you for helping me work around Apple's dictatorship !

You could use HomeBridge and set up multiple instances each with their own QR code to solve this. But I can't see doing that when you can pick up a used HomePod mini for about $50 or an Apple TV 4K new for a bit over $100 (and with these solutions, you then also get yourself a Thread border router for use with Hubitat's matter support).

2 Likes