Homekit-Accessory Not Found

Relatively new Hubitat user here. Recently moved about 45 devices from SmartThings to Hubitat. Other than a few Zooz products not excluding from ST nor factory resetting properly, the transition has been relatively smooth. The one challenge I am having is with Homekit. I cannot get the bridge to pair in Apple Home. No matter what I try, I end up with “Accessory Not Found”.

Setup:
• (2) Apple TV’s associated with my Homekit account. TVOS16.6
• Ubiquiti wired/WiFi network
• Apple devices on ios 16.7
• Hubitat hub C-7 on 2.3.3.136
• Phone and hub are on the same subnet

Based upon reading and my network experience, I tried: (not necessarily in this order)
• Restricting the Homekit integration to just one dimmer device
• Restarting the hub
• Factory reset the Homekit app (Followed by Hub reboot)
• Uninstall and reinstall the Homekit app (Followed by Hub reboot)
• Uninstall and reinstall Apple Home app on phone
• Put phone into airplane mode to force wifi
• Factory Reset the hub app (Followed by Hub reboot)
• Reset QR & Pairing code in hub app (Followed by Hub reboot)- noticed that the QR code did not change – not sure if it is supposed to
• Confirmed that I could successfully ping both the hub from phone and phone from hub
• Enabled/disabled multicast DNS. (Default was off – currently off)
• Removed and re-added the Home (on phone)
• Executed Apple HomeKitReset.mobileconfig profile to wipe Apple home and waited 24 hours.

All of these efforts resulted in the same thing – the inability to get past the dreaded "Accessory Not Found". I have seen a few posts with similar issues, but was unable to resolve mine. If anyone has suggestions….

Turn off ST, run the exclusion on Hubitat.

Both hubs have to be on the same subnet and you have to make sure mDNS isn't being blocked.

Enroll the hub in homekit first before you add devices. If this still isn't working delete the existing home on Homekit and then reset the QR code for the hubitat in the integration.

1 Like

The Zooz issue is resolved. Even though ST indicated the devices were excluded, they apparently were not.
I could not add them to Hubitat and the factory reset procedure failed (which is disconcerting)
What worked, was re-adding the devices to ST, moving the ST hub close (it was originally 8 feet away) and excluding again. For some reason it worked the 2nd time around. After that, they devices paired to Hubitat

For Homekit, still no dice.

• Confirmed mDNS enabled
  • Both devices are on same subnet
  • If no devices are selected, I do not see a QR code
  • Home deleted, QR code reset, unfortunately still not pairing..

Noticed that 2.3.3.139 is out. Worth a try...

Did you mean 2.3.6 or is it still on 2.3.3?

1 Like

Use this tool to scan your network for mDNS / Bonjour
Look in the HAP section.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/zeroconfservicebrowser.html

1 Like

typo.... Hub is now on 2.3.6.140.

1 Like

Not 100% sure what to look for here, but I do see my hub under the HAP section. It shows with the correct IP addr.

Then it is broadcasting the Homekit Info and your computer can see it.
Do you have your mobile device on the same LAN segment? mDNS wont broadcast across VLANs without special configuration. This includes guest networks on many routers. Mesh should be OK if all nodes go to the same subnet.

1 Like

Confirmed - the mobile device is on the same segment.
Network is 192.168.1.0/18. Hubitat: 192.168.1.246, PC: 192.168.2.152, Phone:192.168.1.122.

I do not see the phone in zeroconfServiceBrowser. Should I? Confirmed I can ping hub from phone and the phone from the hub.

I don't think the phone would be broadcasting. It might be having an issue with the large subnet.

Only other thing you could check would be to connect the PC to the same wifi as the mobile if it is not already, see if that changes anything with the HAP discovery.

Somewhere, someone posted a curl command you can issue to the hub to see what it is broadcasting... could be worth checking.

Restart everything involved, including networking equipment.

If errors continue, post a screenshot of the exact error when trying to add the hub to your home in Apple Home.

Good idea. I will setup a laptop and get it onto the same WiFi.

It's been a while since the network was restarted. Will need to schedule an outage late tonight :slight_smile: if I do that.

Did you set the subnetwork mask correctly in Hubitat? By default, it uses a Class C subnetwork mask.

Network addr is assigned by DHCP.

I went to the settings page to see if I could switch to static, but the subnet mask is grayed out.

Tagging @gopher.ny.

I think DHCP will assign the network mask appropriately. However, if I were you, I would make doubly sure using the endpoint described in this thread:

The endpoint described at Static IP Address and DHCP Support for non /24 Subnets - #4 by aaiyar works for right now.

Since this comes up rather regularly, I'll change the UI, with appropriate warnings to scare off people who don't know what they're doing.

5 Likes

Tried changing from a DHCP reservation to a static IP using the link provided.
In my case it was.. https://192.168.1.246/hub/advanced/switchToStaticIp?address=192.168.1.56&netmask=255.255.192.0&gateway=192.168.1.254&nameserver=192.168.1.15&override=yes

I was able to see the hub on the new IP, but unfortunately same results with Homekit.

Last night I was at a friends house and tried setting it up for him. His network is a lot simpler than mine, and it paired almost instantly. At least I know what to look for.

Thinking as a test, I am going to move the device (and the phone) onto a different VLAN which uses a /24 net mask, just to see if that makes any difference. If it does, I guess I am going to need to look at routing/FW rules. One step at a time.

1 Like

Bonjour uses multicast packets. Don't block these between segments of your LAN.

Thank you for all the assistance and suggestions so far!

Some progress made, but still not working...

Placed the hub and phone on an isolated VLAN which uses a /24 net mask. Set the hub back to DHCP. I was finally able to get the phone to pair with the QR code. I was able to see the devices, but they were all in a not responding state. Powering down the Apple TV (which is on the primary LAN) and restarting the Homekit app on the hub, I was finally able to control devices from the Home app on my phone. Unfortunately, my understanding is that without the ATV, I will have no access outside the house. I also want to keep the phone on my primary LAN.

Plugging in the ATV forces all the devices back to a "not responding" state.

I tried leaving the hub on the isolated VLAN and moving the phone back to the primary LAN. Same results with the not responding. (I did have multicast enabled on both the primary LAN and VLAN, along with firewall rules to allow traffic between the hub and the ATV, and a 2nd rule to allow Multicast traffic to traverse the VLANS). Unfortunately still no dice.

With the exception of leaving the hub Homekit paired with Apple home, I reset my config back where I started. mDNS is still enabled as well. I did disable the firewall rules as everything is back on the same segment.

At this point, there may be multiple issues at play:

1. Does the hub properly handle a DHCP issued address on a /18 subnet?
  2. With the network moved (from VLAN --> LAN) is the QR pairing still valid or should I delete?
  3. Is the ATV somehow interfering with this setup?

See @gopher.ny's response above. It does. But it has to be configured manually.

Keep your AppleTV (or other Apple Home hub) on the same LAN segment as your Hubitat hub. Or, run a multicast reflector so that you can "reflect"(route) multicast packets across your VLANs.

I just don't understand why people feel the need to make such a complicated home network. I have a degree in networking so I somewhat know what I am doing. I have a plain old consumer grade router configured like a normal sane person would. I have one separate VLAN that was created by the guest network setup on the router. I have one other "guest" network that is not segregated and just used to join IoT devices to a dedicated 2.4Ghz SSID (the main SSID is shared 5/2.4). They still join into the main LAN segment with all my other devices.

Do people have more than 240 devices where a single normal /24 wont work?

6 Likes