Homebridge - Hubitat - Why?

Yep that's how you do it! I didn't realize you could the first time I connected NR either. Just make sure your webhook config has a different url like:

http://[your NR address]:1880/hubitat/webhook_instance1
http://[your NR address]:1880/hubitat/webhook_instance2

also set the token and Application ID to the proper maker instance.

then in maker make sure you include the same url...

You have to have multiple maker api instances installed on the hub.

2 Likes

Now if I can figure out what the payload msg is to stop a Google Home Group.

Sorry can't help you there.. I put my google home device away as I was already using Alexa and now Apple Home. Still too many cloud things for my comfort...

I figure cloud services are a way of the times. I just try to minimize them. Like i love my outdoor cloud cams... no dvr to steal.

1 Like

Yeah I agree (grudgingly) but prefer to start local and branch out from there. I am using Ring doorbell and floodlights which are working well..

I love this community!!!

2 Likes

LMAO. Thing is every time I learn something new like this I go further down the rabbit hole. This morning I had one instance of Maker API now I have 4 lol. 2 node red ones and 2 for the Hubitat Custom dashboard app on android haha.

1 Like

I am confused about the makerapi plugin. I use the Homebridge Hubitat Tonesto7 plugin. Why would I need Makerapi plugin or what can I do with it I cant do with Homebridge Hubitat Tonesto7?

The MakerAPI HomeBridge plugin has the advantage of no custom code on the Hubitat hub. It simply uses the built-in MakerAPI app on the hub. I have been using it for quite some time, and it just works for all my needs. It was also available before Tonesto7’s current solution.

Tonesto7’s plugin requires a custom app on the Hubitat hub. As such, it is more purpose built for the specific function of supporting its companion HomeBridge plugin.

Both a very good solutions. If what you have works well for you, then I see no reason to change anything. If not, it is very nice to have options! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Likewise. Been using it for a year. Its very stable and meets my needs. One difference that may matter to @cdikland is that @dan.t's plugin requires a tiny bit of config file editing, whereas it is my understanding that @tonesto7's does not.

3 Likes

Correct, @tonesto7's does not require manually editing of the config file. I was using @dan.t's MakerAPI plugin for a long time without any issues, but switched to Homebridge v2 because of its simplified capability filtering. I have a bunch of Iris V1 sensors that were reporting tampering that I did not want to reset. With Homebridge v2 it is easy to filter out this capability without manually editing the Homebridge config file.

5 Likes

I have used both and they are both great so either one will do. If you encounter issues with one you can always try the other. In fact you can run them both simultaneously if you really want to.. ( I did for some testing ). Ultimately I am using Tonestos because that's what I started with but would find no issue in changing if needed. It's really nice to be able to have a choice. Really appreciate both @dan.t's and @tonesto7's hard work in giving us this very useful capability!!!

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.

3 Likes

how did you manage to connect the hubitat ti the homebridge ?

If you have Hubitat Package Manager r(HPM) running all you need to do is select Install option and search Homebridge v2. If you dont have HPM installed you can install Hubitat/Homebrige manually. Check out the authors github

GitHub - tonesto7/homebridge-hubitat-tonesto7: Hubitat Homebridge Plugin

2 Likes

Another option that requires no custom code on Hubitat is @dan.t’s Maker API plug-in for HomeBridge. I have been using it for a long time with no issues.

3 Likes

I read through the comments, and as far as I can understand, there is still no way of backwards communication from Homebridge to Hubitat? I have a few Sonoff Wifi devices with factory firmware, and can't add them to Hubitat. I tried through Home Assistant, however it wasn't working well (chrashes, or updating breaks things...), and I tried adding my light switches from Homebridge to Hubitat. Note that I do not own any Apple devices, and I am not planning at all. :slight_smile:

Correct, communication is from he to hk or he to ha to hk. Now you can use virtual switches to make HK do something on HE. Such as have HK open a lock on HE.

2 Likes

You can also use the Homebridge and HE Nodes in Node-RED and do similar things.. I was doing this with Ring for a bit.

2 Likes