Home Remote dashboard for Hubitat

While you should definitely read the thread, hopefully this fixes it for you:

I would definitely start with this setup to try out home remote. Probably the easiest way to get started. If you like it, I've personally switched over to using mqtt to connect home remote to HE.

MQTT has better performance, especially with a lot of devices, but requires some mqtt knowledge and a broker running on another device.

There is also hope for a better integration from the home remote developer sometime in the future. I wouldn't put a timeframe on it, but he has a hubitat hub and it is on his list.

Yes offcourse i read the thread... its says to add http in the setting... im sure where im adding http in the settings.... i believe this code should also be updated... so im not quit sure where i went wrong... And ive followed the instruction accordingly to.....

I just tried installing this integration again, and it is still working. Can you confirm you got these three items correctly from the log:

Created a new plugin device and put in the plugin script from github:

Opened up the new device settings (right click on the device you created, click open, and then go to settings) - this should appear:

Go into settings and add these three parameters, all 3 need to be completed. From the data from the log:

Exit/OK out, and it should accept the inputs.
Then to grab your synced devices selected in the Hubitat App, you again right click on your new device you created and select synchronize.

Thanks Andy, much appreciate for your help, got it working, i dint add accesstoken value, thats were i went wrong. i have been only entering http url's.....

1 Like

Hi. Sorry for the newbie question (just starting on this journey and trying to figure out things as I go along). I've installed the app fine but can't see where to add a plugin source from the app. Do I need to do this via pc first? I thought this was a connection direct between tablet/phone and the HE but it looks like it may have to be via http.
Thanks.

Hi Alan -

The connection between the tablet/phone and HE is direct. It needs to use some form of connection protocol though, which right now the options are http or mqtt. I suggest starting with http, as the setup is simpler. When using the http connection locally, the device will talk directly to HE via the http protocol over your home network. If you aren't on your home network, it will be directed to your HE via the HE cloud.

To get everything set up, you do need to do it via PC first. You download the designer app to your computer and create a project. From there you create the connection, add all your devices, adjust the layout however you want it, and test it out to see how it is working. When you are ready, the designer app will save a file which you then load into that app on your tablet/phone. At that point, the PC app is no longer involved, the phone & HE talk directly.

Let me know if that answers your question and if you have any difficulties with setup. The steps at the beginning of this should help get you set up, however, a new version of Home Remote has been released in the past week. It overall functions the same, but the location of settings/etc may have changed in the designer from my original post. I'm actually playing with it now learning myself.

Finally - the developer now includes his own base layout which should automatically load into the designer. I believe that once you get the connection set up and import your devices, you should have a working dashboard you can load onto your phone and check out. Whether you like the way he has designed the dashboard will be personal preference - you don't need to use his, you can create a layout from scratch. But at least you can (more) immediately see it in action and decide whether you like the program.

I've added the app code and downloaded Designer. In Designer I've added the plugin code and added the two URL variables and access token variable. When I click discover devices, the designer app hangs. Any reason why this would occur?

I don't know. A new version of designer was released a week or so ago. I haven't tried the code on the new version. I'll try it now.

Correct - it hangs on discovering devices. Going to see if I can figure out what's changed.

@shadowjig
The developer is looking into it. I'll let you know when he gets back to me. Sorry about that!

1 Like

Glad it's not me!!! Thanks for checking it out.

Bill has uploaded a new version of the designer. If the program doesn't update on opening, it is under the file menu. You want version 3.0.5.3.

It looks like a few other things in the plugin need to be updated in order to use his built in templates. I'm going to take a look - but we are one step closer. You should be able to grab your devices now.

1 Like

Just downloaded 3.0.5.3 now and I made sure the URLs and Token are correct. Syncing now doesn't hang, but I do get a 500 error now. I'm assuming it might be the plugin code now?

I saw you posted on the Hubitat forum :slight_smile: I appreciate you calling me the "developer" of this integration, but that's far from the truth. You are so much better off with help from Bill versus me! That said, I do want to help as much as possible.

After Bill's update tonight to the designer, I was able to successfully sync and control a couple of devices. I put some minor changes for the plugin script on github. I would start with one device, say a switch, and the new plugin script and see if the error goes away. Just put the new script in Home Remote and rediscover devices. If the error goes away, then you can add things back incrementally and maybe identify the cause.

Or, if you prefer, Bill now has a Hubitat Hub, and creating his own integration is planned - which I'm sure will be miles ahead of this. I'd put that out a couple of months though.

2 Likes

I modified and posted the plugin script code to better utilize the templates. Not all devices will fill in automatically, but it should be a good starting point.

After completing the initial steps, syncing devices should create a list like this. If it identified a device, it should have an icon.

and data should be filled out per device identifying which built in template template Home Remote should use.

To use the built in templates, you would then add the devices to the home group:

And then when you run the simulator, it should pull up the recognized devices.

Obviously that is with no customization, which I assume anyone who tries this program would want... but hopefully it will help someone see some results rather quickly.

@shadowjig I have no idea if what I changed will help with your issue. I hope so. I played with it for quite a while tonight and didn't see that error.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help on this. I got the designer to work and all my devices show up and can be controlled using the simulator however once I transfer the file to my iPhone all the devices show up with unknown status and when I try to use a switch it says ""Settings is null". Any idea what is going on?

Unfortunately no. But, that doesn't mean I can't come up with some BS :).

I don't have any apple devices, but I did see in the home remote threads some issues with the new version and iOS. I'd make sure the app is up to date. I honestly didn't pay attention to the iOS issues so not sure what they were or if they were all fixed yet. I'll try to find the posts again later tonight. It also takes a bit for the updated apps to show up in the app store.

If you have an Android device, maybe test on there to confirm it is an iOS bug.

1 Like

Okay...thank you for getting back to me. I'll keep an eye out for the iOS app update and I'll try searching theyre forum as well.
It's great that Bill now has a Hubitat so hopefully he'll add native support for it soon. I have been looking for a fully customizable dashboard app like this for a while now.

Update: It is working now with the latest app updates. Now to learn how to use the designer software...

2 Likes

I'm running into an issue that I don't see anyone else post about. In my logs I'm getting this error immediately after Poll Requested:

java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 295 (poll)

I'm not well versed in this code but this is the line it's referencing:

lastPoll = Date.parse("yyyy-M-d'T'H:m:ssX", lastPoll)

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any and all assistance for this newbie!

Hi Kurt -

I don't actively use this particular code to connect to Home Remote anymore (more on that in the next post for everyone who reads this), but that is actually a benefit because I just installed it from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing that issue.

Some starting questions:

1. Have you made any modifications yet to either the Hubitat App Code or the Home Remote Plugin Script?
  2. Were you able to sync your devices into Home Remote, looking similar to this (I brought in 2 devices labeled kitchen, the others were automatically added):
  3. Is this happening from the simulator in the designer app, or after you've moved the project to an end device?

A general post about the current state of this project:

Home Remote, designed by someone wholly unrelated to me, is chugging along great with new features being added all the time. I'm still actively using and promoting it.

I originally worked on this code, with the developer of Home Remote, to get a connection between Hubitat and Home Remote after switching from SmartThings. Code is not my specialty! But I was motivated to get my dashboards back up after moving to HE.

The main issue with this integration is that it is using HTTP to connect. Using this code, Home Remote gets its status updates by constantly polling the hub. This can put a strain on your hub, however, does work well and is snappy in a lot of cases cases - such as if you want to access the system from outside your network or if you only have a limited number of devices you are trying to control. This code worked really well for me for a while with an always on dashboard - then I multiplied the number of always on dashboards I was running and dramatically increased the number of devices being polled (100+).

I have currently switched to using MQTT as the connector between Home Remote and Hubitat. MQTT has it's downfalls as well - The first is that the MQTT broker / server needs to be run on a separate always-on device to act as a middleman between Hubitat and Home Remote. The second downfall is you'll have to figure out on your own how to get some form of secure out of home access (I'm using a VPN). The huge benefit of MQTT is that it doesn't constantly poll the hub, nor does Home Remote need to constantly parse the poll data coming back from the hub. The MQTT code only "activates" on state changes of the selected devices, sending status updates without the need for polling.

For anyone trying to set this up using MQTT, I would highly suggest @kevin's MQTT app:

and then you'll need the MQTT plugin script:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/thehomeremote/h4ACSLVidjw
(see the February 12th post with the example as an attachment)

I am still interested in keeping the HTTP code working as well, but as I'm not using it I often won't realize something has broken - nor does it get top priority. If you see any issues, or have updates to the code please let me know. After loading up this code tonight I see there are at least 2 issues that need correcting:

1. The latest version of Home Remote assigns templates automatically, so that part of the plugin script can be deleted
  2. For a color bulb, switch,level and color temp are working, however color is not. I believe something has changed on the Home Remote side, which should be easily fixed in the plugin script.

I'll put these two on the to-do list, if anyone else gets to the first, please share!

1 Like