Home Depot and Lutron Caséta

Good News - Bad News. Visited the local HD today and they had (one) of the new Lutron Caséta fan controllers. Bigger news is they now have a place for it on the shelf with the other Lutron gear. That's the good news. The bad news (for me) is this trip they refused to price match Energy Avenue or their own prior price matches.

[I suspect that none of the customer service people really know/understand the HD policy on price matching because each person I have spoken to at a local HD has told me something different.]

1 Like

I'd go back later and try to get someone else to help you. Out of the multiple (probably 10-ish?) trips I made to different HDs to buy Lutron gear, only 1 cashier questioned the price match. I went to a different register that same trip and the second cashier did it no problem.

2 Likes

I was ticked off so I came back home and put in a major order with Energy Avenue. This will get me close to completion. Of the Lutron/Lighting portion, of course. It's never completed.

4 Likes

I never get a consistent result there either. You have to keep asking. But why not just order off Amazon? Mine shipped yesterday.

I think you are right about being persistent with HD.

Are you seeing good pricing on Amazon? $47.06 (no tax and free shipping) for a dimmer with a Pico and a Claro wallplate seems like a pretty nice deal (at Energy Avenue) . . .

1 Like

I'm confused. Are you talking about a dimmer or fan controller?

I was talking dimmers. I already got the fan controller. I was just commenting that they finally had the fan controllers on the shelf. When I bought mine a few weeks ago nobody could find them because they hadn't been assigned a shelf/location yet.

Sorry to be confusing . . .

1 Like

I was hard pressed to find cheaper prices than Energy Avenue. I did buy some switches and dimmers via eBay and was able to save some money. But it also meant having to wait longer to get everything.

BTW

• Energy Avenue appears to have the Caseta Fan Controllers for $50, or $10 cheaper than Home Depot.

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/PD-FSQN-WH

• Amazon does appear to have the Pico Fan Remotes in stock. I haven't seen those anywhere else.

I am kind of glad that I hit the 50 device limit on my SmartBridge Pro2. Otherwise, I'd keep buying! :wink:

1 Like

Ah OK. I was thinking you got a fan controller with a Pico and wall plate for $47.06 no tax or shipping charge. Fell off my chair when I saw that! :laughing:

1 Like

That would be a deal. Sorry about that. I hope there are no serious injuries.

2 Likes

When you hit the 50 device limit, that's a sign that you need another Lutron Caseta Pro Hub!

1 Like

:rofl::v:

Eric,

Do you have two Caseta SmartBridge hubs? I am curious if you have a Pico attached to Hubitat via one SmartBridge, and a Caseta Dimmer attached to the other SmartBridge...and then use a Button Controller to peform the mapping between the two devices...are there any delays? Others have noticed there is a delay if both the Pico and Dimmer are on the same SmartBridge. I am curious if using two SmartBridges resolves this delay?

Just a curiosity... please don't jump through any hoops to set this test scenario up.

1 Like

It's a good price, but I'm OK with the Amazon price. It's only $1.95 more, since shipping would cost $8 from energy avenue. Shipping it to my parents house in Oregon where there is no state sales tax, so my final price from Amazon is $59.95

Does the SHIPFREE18 code not work to get you free shipping from Energy Avenue? It's worked on all my orders.

2 Likes

I should be able to test that. I was planning to work on that today but my failure to get the dimmer has delayed that work. I have regular dimmers and plug in dimmers on the upstairs hub and I can put a Pico on the downstairs hub so we can see if the latency is caused by the Telnet turn-around in a single hub scenario.

:grinning: :+1: Just ordered another one. Thanks for the code.

1 Like

I didn't realize that would still work but one evening I entered a fairly large order and then didn't process it - I left everything in the cart. They sent me an e-mail the next day asking if I hadn't completed the order due to shipping costs and they gave me that code. It's worked ever since.

2 Likes

I'd be willing to bet donuts this does resolve it. I think the delay is built-in the SmartBridge for some reason. With two SmartBridges, the setLevel command coming into the non-Pico one is going to get instant attention, with no Pico button press to slow it down.

1 Like

I'm low-carb so no donuts for me but I'll check it out.

1 Like