Home Depot and Lutron Caséta

I have a HD less than a mile away from my house. So I could decide at 7am on a Saturday that I wanted to install more Lutron, make a trip, and be back home getting to work by 7:20am, all price matched to EA with no shipping charges. Nothing beats that.

2 Likes

Unfortunately they're not available here at HD Canada yet, so I have to import mine myself.

I just ordered my first (of 3) fan controllers. All my bedroom switches are almond, and Amazon's the only place carrying the almond fan controllers at the moment. Gotta stay with the color scheme!

Also picked up a dual pedestal - one light pico, one fan pico. I'll need to peruse the bigger thread soon, but if I recall there's a way to pair the fan pico directly to the fan controller, depending on the order they're paired to the bridge...

2 Likes

@destructure00

Well, my front door is less than a mile away :smile: and Amazon Prime delivers same day for many items (at least where I live). Also, HD currently only sells those Lutron fan controls in white. If you want any other color (light almond in my case), Amazon is the way to go.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell $80 for black. :sunglasses: So exclusive, they would only charge me $5.68 to import this one, vs $13.12 for a white controller :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How does that make sense?

1 Like

I did a brief test today and the results are so bizarre I am doubting myself. I have a box of new Lutron stuff for the basement so I am going to attempt to repeat the test and be careful to document and check each step of the way.

What I did today - I installed a new dimmer on a circuit in the basement that has one recessed light fixture on it (the basement stair light). It was a two-way so I did the Lutron recommended install - I put the dimmer at the bottom and the Pico at the top. When I joined them to the Lutron hub I designated separate rooms to make sure Lutron didn't automagically associate the Pico with the dimmer. Both appeared in the app and did not appear associated. At this point the Pico did nothing when buttons were pressed.

I ran the Lutron Integration Report, opened the Lutron Integration app on Hubitat, and added the two devices. I added the Pico as a fast device ("q") and the dimmer as a "d". Then I accidentally deleted that Lutron integration. So after restoring this morning's backup (thank you), I went into Button Controller and made a test app using just the Pico and the new dimmer. It worked as expected and appeared to have the (approximately) one second (+/-) of latency that we all see.

Now for the bizarre part. I edited the Button Controller rule to control the hallways lights on the main floor - that dimmer is on the other Lutron Hub. It didn't work . . . at all. Remembering I had a Motion Lighting app on that dimmer, I edited the Button Controller rule to control a different light - one that doesn't have any associated Motion Lighting rules. It didn't work either. I also tried modifying the Button Controller rule to control the attic light switch which has never had a Pico associated with it either directly (a la Lutron) or via Hubitat. Same result - flat out didn't work.

I looked at the logs and I can see the button pressed and I can see Hubitat indicating it was turning the dimmer on or off but I never saw the Telnet OUTPUT line in the logs.

Most of my dimmers have a local association to a Pico because most of them are set up to be the "other" end of a two-way circuit. I don't know if that could cause a problem.

If you see anything obviously illogical in what I've described, let me know. I'm going to put the toys away for now and think about it and come up with a test plan.

1 Like

Amazon delivered 4 of the new fan controllers to me last week. Haven't had time to install them yet. Hopeful this weekend I'll get them installed.

:joy: Just imported one from my visit to Oregon. $63 CAD and no tax. Second day back and I see that Lowe’s Canada has them in stock. Not complaining though, since buy it here will be $79.05 CAD after tax.