HEMv1 (DSB09) Custom DTH; Which One?

So, I have an HEMv1 that I was using with ST using jsconstantelos's driver; everything worked fine over there, but not so much in Hubitat.

I see that the HEMv1 is supported native to Hubitat, but the reporting intervals are not configurable, and also, I get reports super sporadically. The Laundry driver seems to be the one that has Hubitat development, but is not useful to me, as I am not using it for this purpose.

Is there an HEMv1 driver that functions like the jsconstantelos one does in ST, but works with Hubitat? My skill with groovy isn't good enough to port it over.

Edit (Added for completeness): I mention HEMv1 often, but in fact it is a DSB09104-ZWUS (I believe only the DSB09 part matters). The solution I've marked is what works for my device, and does give power per clamp, which is nice. In post #4 I mention updates to the marked solution to stop the device from throwing errors in the logs, and removes buttons that do nothing.

How different is the v1 from the v2? I have an unpublished v2 driver (read: not Gen5 but actually v2) and if they are close or the same I can publish it.

I use this one with one of my v1 HEMs. I like it because I get separate clamp readings.

I have not had any problems with the driver, but I have moved one of my HEMs to a separate hub. I suspect they are related to the eventual slowdown issue. I’m planning to move both off my main hub at some point. Those are old Z-Wave 300 series, so they shouldn’t be expected not to cause any issues with newer Z-Wave Plus devices. At least, I’m not surprised by it.

1 Like

(@codahq) How different is the v1 from the v2? I have an unpublished v2 driver (read: not Gen5 but actually v2) and if they are close or the same I can publish it.

I presume quite different; I have a HEM v1 (oldest style, ZW095-A), and there is a HEM v5 which looks like mine, but is probably internally different. You have a HEM v2, which I don't believe would work with my v1.

(@SmartHomePrimer) I use this one with one of my v1 HEMs. I like it because I get separate clamp readings.

I have not had any problems with the driver, but I have moved one of my HEMs to a separate hub. I suspect they are related to the eventual slowdown issue. I’m planning to move both off my main hub at some point. Those are old Z-Wave 300 series, so they shouldn’t be expected not to cause any issues with newer Z-Wave Plus devices. At least, I’m not surprised by it.

So, you're saying the driver linked in that article is the one you use, and it works? I get errors clicking add children, delete children, and configure. Generally, it just doesn't do anything predictable until I install the broken jsconstantelos driver, and I get an error every 5-ish seconds (which is how often the device used to report to my ST).

Edit: Holy smokes, it works with SmartHomePrimer's recommended driver (slight modifications). I changed some settings, and pressed "Save Preferences", then "Configure".

The "Create Children" and "Delete Children" don't work, so I commented out lines 48 and 49. I was getting another error, so I also commented out lines 150-160. I now have individual clamp readings, and it reports every 30 seconds as configured; amazing! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Actually, they look nearly identical to me assuming these manuals are correct.

G1:

G2:

I think the child devices are a carryover from the porting from SmartThings. They don't do anything on HE and are not needed to be frank. You can use any of the readings in a RM rule. There's no need here for the child devices. Configure just sends parameters of the driver to the device. You only need to click it once.

I get no errors, and I can set mine to refresh every second if I want, but I leave mine at 5 seconds. My HEM is on a separate HE hub by itself. Keep in mind that it will take time for it to report (also don't forget to repair your Z-Wave network). I have somtimes had to exclude and join the v1 HEMs a few times before the worked right. Older chips. Kind of a pain to join properly. Factory reset by holding in the button while you insert the power. Keep it held in for 10 seconds. Then do a general exclusion. Do wait 30 seconds between each step. Trying to reset, exclude and then join too quickly will result in issues.

Here's my config that I use just for monitoring.

1 Like

They look quite different to me. Also, I am pretty sure the first one you linked is for the newer version of my HEM (the GEN5). I might be wrong.

Just to be sure you're using the right driver. Here's the link to the raw

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jrfarrar/hubitat/master/devicehandlers/Aeon/HEM%20v1/HEMv1%20Individual%20Clamp.groovy

2 Likes

Updated my post, but just so you don't miss the additional recommendation

Factory reset by holding in the button while you insert the power. Keep it held in for 10 seconds. Then do a general exclusion. Do wait 30 seconds between each step. Trying to reset, exclude and then join too quickly will result in issues.

[Edit] Oh, and one other trick. The v1 HEMs seem to sometimes join properly, but then fail to report until I power cycle them for 30 seconds.

1 Like

I think you might be right. I'm looking at the DSB09 (G1) and it doesn't appear to be able to report variable voltage. If that's the case then these parameters make absolutely no sense. I can't find a manual with parameters for the G1 though. So... who knows.

This is a manual but it has absolutely no mention of parameters:
https://fccid.io/XBADSB09104/User-Manual/User-manual-1279688

What's weirder is that manual I linked first that I thought was a G1 doesn't make sense for a Gen5 either. It says advanced functions available in SW version 3.58+? Well, the highest firmware for Gen5 is 1.31 (or 1.35 unreleased) and the highest firmware for the G2 is 1.17. So... figure that one out. I figured since there was never a 3.58 for either the Gen5 or G2 it had to be the G1 that had a firmware version of 3.58 possible.

Then I found this: Differences between Aeon Home Energy Meters - General Discussion - SmartThings Community

Which make sit look like none of the models would have a firmware of 3.58 possible... So I'm not sure where that 3.58+ fits in.

1 Like

LOL, I updated my firmware to 3.64 or 3.68 ... something like this. I never bothered to check my model #, but I do in fact have DSB09104-ZWUS (at least, that's what it says on the box, doesn't seem to say it anywhere on the actual device). That link you found is a great summary of the different models. Mine is quite old, and I bought it for like $15 CAD or something like this (wish I bought a few). The inability to measure variable voltage is definitely a thing; you have to manually set this variable. However, since power doesn't really change voltage, it doesn't really matter. P = V * I ... the clamps figure out current (I), so if you tell it voltage (V), it can figure out watts (P). If you look at post #6, you can see where you set voltage (and other stuff).

For completeness, I am updating the main post to have my model number, so the solution posted by @SmartHomePrimer makes sense that it works with my specific device. As well, the fixes I put in post #4 do actually resolve any errors that show up in the log when pressing buttons (basically, it removes all of the child features).

1 Like

Wow. I was far too late for these deals I guess. Someone else on here said they paid that for a version 1 too. I got one for $85 CAD and the other for $65 CAD. Not bad prices, but not that amazing.

One thing though, those are old 300 series. They will slow down any Z-Wave Plus devices you have on the network, and might be responsible for slowing the hub. I just an hour ago moved my second v1 to another HE hub so they're not on my main with my Homeseer Flex and Yale YRD256 (I only have four Z-Wave devices on HE in total). So if you start having issues, they are the first suspects I would look at.

1 Like

Ya, they gave up on their old devices and blew them out; I figured they were garbage, and thats why they were being sold cheap. Nope, just selling them "at cost" I expect.

1 Like

Old chips, but definitely not garbage. I had a Sense HEM to compare it against which is known for being very accurate. The Aeon was just a few watts different.

1 Like

I have had my HEM reporting every 10 seconds ... 3,130 pages of information in the event log in 1 day :(. Changed it to 30s, which is plenty really. Seems surprising to me that the Hubitat hub allows 3,130 pages of history to clutter it up. Seems like 50 pages is plenty, the hub could do something like "if log > 5000 lines, truncate to 4000 lines" so it's not working too hard.

Yep my bad on that. Back before HE could do any of that I really wanted to be able to make child devices with individual readings...but that was out of my pay grade. Then WATO came along and it wasn't needed...now you can get those right through rules in RM so there really is no need for the parent/child setup. Glad others are using it. I'm still using it also for my washing machine and septic pump.

1 Like

Do you have an updated version of this driver, newer than the one provided, that is "for Hubitat" ?

I commented out some lines with regards to the child objects, and that fixes the errors. However, I get enough "unhandled" results in the log, and I am not well versed with app development (yet, I am probably going to attack this one if you don't have a newer version).

Thanks for the work you did on this, I really do appreciate it, as I don't have the cash currently to be burning on toys, so getting my old stuff working is nice.

1 Like

Just turn off all logging. You don’t need t have any of it on to use them.

Need to test again because a reboot right after moving it may have influenced the results, but so far having both those old v1 devices on their own hub without anything else has been a good experience. Tested hub response from 2:12am to 2:45am. Slowdown was only about 1 second at 2:12am, and when tested several times from 2:30-2:45am, there was no slowing to the main hub performance at all.

I have a HEM v1 and it is more capable than may be apparent. I do have it monitoring the electrical panel but I haven't been following like I did with HomeAssistant. I did just set up a Schlage FE599 lock (non Plus) for testing. I am trying to see where these things fail for people. A few days ago I set up a Zniffer and did some Zwave investigating on the Schlage lock.
The lock is lying on the floor and although only about 10 feet from the HE hub by measurement, the HE is one floor down at the ceiling. That ten feet is at an oblique angle through 4 or 5 floor joists and the flooring. According the zwave Zniffer traffic, the lock is connecting through the HEM, a beaming repeater. The most interesting part is that the HEM is another 20 feet beyond the hub in almost the same diagonal line. The communication is traveling the same path through the joists and flooring to the HEM and then back to the HE hub. Who knew?????

Yeah, the paths the neighbor tables map are odd for sure.

No sure about the v1 HEMs being repeaters at all, let alone beaming capable. You certain about that? They are battery powered devices that can be powered. I didn’t think they were powered repeater devices that could run on battery (and don’t repeat when doing so) like the Homeseer Flex (Z-Wave Plus) as an example.