Help with Zooz Zen34

I'm helping a friend with a Zooz Zen 34 remote. It stopped working, and I figured it just needed a battery. The battery went on it a few months ago, and their kid's techno whizz boyfriend changed the battery. But turns out he only put one in. The other battery slot was empty. It had been working, so that tells me it has two to last longer??

Anyway, I put new batteries in, but the hub says it's offline (it's a Smartthings hub, but that's not the issue). I tried to reset it, and you are supposed to tap the top paddle three times, then hold. That does nothing. I've tried clicking the top paddle six times, and then the LED flashes orange. From everything I've read, orange is not even listed as anything that should show up.

Any ideas how to reset this thing, or is it maybe just shot?

I had pretty much the same issue.

I also had a ZEn34 battery issue.

Six clicks/orange light is include/exclude. I had a bunch of these and have seen it happen once or twice. What finally worked for me was to remove the batteries, force-exclude, then include it again. (Whether all that is necessary I don't know but my Z-wave approach is to use whatever magic spell seems to work.)

1 Like

I just took a spare one out of the parts bin.
To reset, it was click, click, click and hold. So, a total of 3 clicks. Wait a while and the red light blinks 4 or 5 times.

I've done that several times. The LED won't light or blink at all.

Sometimes I feel like I need to call an exorcist.

If I recall, you're the guy with the weird fan, right. :slight_smile:

It's not weird. In the area that I live, it's not unusual in the summer to have the power go out for a second or two. Sometimes a full on outage, but the flash off is kind of common. The problem is that the fan controller doesn't remember it's state when power is lost, so I would end up waking up to a warm room. So I was looking for a way for the fan to be able to come back on if it was turned off just because the power went off.

1 Like

I figured it out, at least in part. I don't know why the remote kept saying it was offline when the battery was replaced, however, I had contacted Zooz, and after a couple emails, they mentioned the reset procedure, and the way they worded it made me realize I was having a stupid moment. When it says click-click-click-n-hold (in the directions), for whatever reason I was taking that to mean hold on a fourth click, not the third. Holding on the third click and it works.

yep

Strangely enough, I found that you have to check the batteries (both of them) BEFORE you reset (or include) the first time. Out of the box, it came with depreciated batteries.

On another related note, I have found that unless you show the client that the device (Zen34) is removable, they would never know that it is. I have a number programmed as the add-on switch in a 3 way configuration. (The other switch I have put in is the Enbrighten no-neutral dimmer). They work well together.