Help with how to use keypad as garage door opener

Hey there, i have a Iris V3 Keypad setup as of yesterday. I have 3 codes setup in it. And was able to use it 1 time to open my garage door.

the problem though is that when you put in the code XXXX and then press off the garage opens. and from then on the "alarm" isn't armed again, so pressing XXXX off doesn't open the door.

is it possible to make this keypad work as a garage opener? if not do you have another keypad you recomend?

I do this. It's with a Centralite keypad, but I assume yours could be used similarly:

I will try and redo with your suggestions.

I had this issue also. What I found was, if it was already disarmed and you did another disarm it didn’t register as a change.

How did you fix it

I suspect you could write a rule that would be triggered when it became disarmed and then issue the arm command a short time later. That way, any time you disarm it at the keypad it would be a change.

Did the other thing I suggested not work?

1 Like

I played around with this idea for a bit using the Centralite driver on an Iris v2, and using [Release] Nyckelharpa, an HSM Extension. I have a relay to control my garage, so I just need to trigger it to open/close it depending on it's current state.

Using the combination of everything above, I had a rule to set the keypad to armed, and to trigger my relay when disarmed. It would then arm itself from the rule again.

I ultimately wound up abandoning the project though as there wasn't any way I saw to lock the keypad after X failed attempts. This means someone could come by, try out 20 codes, and repeat this until they eventually figured out a working code.

Edit: Correction, i have Iris v3, not n2

It did not. I am also looking for a way to arm/disarm but am not seeing one.

how did you arm/ disarm it? was that part of that Centralite driver? Good point about the brute force attack on the keypad.

I don't know that I did. It was just a side affect of something I was working on and ran across that issue. I didn't really need it so probably didn't pursue it any further. I will look and see if I have anything.

You can issue a command keypad.armAway, or keypad.armNight, or keypad.disarm. I do this from my own app, but I'm pretty sure you can do this in RM also.

Hmmm, not sure what might be going wrong, since I only have the Iris V3 Keypad driver loaded but do not actually have a device.

From the device page, do these buttons for different Arm modes and Disarm work correctly?

If so, you can run them in RM like this (note that having to choose a capability like Motion instead of Keypad confused me when I did this on my system):

Ill give it a shot thank you.

1 Like

yea, it was part of the driver. there was an extra set of commands that work when setting the state of the keypad

i had it turn on a virtual switch, then arm itself 10 seconds later. then in a separate rule i was controlling what happened based on the virtual switch turning on.

thank you. i will continue to manipulate the rule machine a bit and see if i get something i like.

definitely look into the extension though. i don't think by itself i was able to control the state, but when i added the extension [Release] Nyckelharpa, an HSM Extension i was able to control it and the codes worked as well. when i wasn't using it, the keypad would only return 0000

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.