Help sending a TEXT msg if one of my contact sensors has been opened

Trying to have my C-5 based unit send me a TEXT msg to my iPhone and iPad telling me one of my contact sensors has been opened. Remote cabin with internet

EDIT: I didn't see that you said "text." If you mean literal SMS, is there a reason a psuh notification won't work? This is the approach below. If you want text, you'll need a service to do that (with cost), but the Hubitat side for Twilio is built in, among community options you may also find.

I'm not sure what you have working so far, but besides your contact sensor, you'll need:

1. A device or other way to receive this notification (the Hubitat mobile app is an easy method)
  2. An automation on the hub configured to send a notification to this device whenever your event happens.

Both are pretty easy, but you have to have step 1 completed before you can try step 2. There are lots of ways to do step 2, but an easy way is creating an instance of the built-in Notifications app to send a notification when your contact sensor opens: Notifications App | Hubitat Documentation

2 Likes

Hubitat does not have a built-in texting option...

You can use the Hubitat mobile app to receive notifications from the hub, and that's the simplest approach for mobile notifications. You'll need the Hubitat app on anyone's phone that you want to get notifications to.

There is also a third-party app called Pushover that is popular:

If you prefer actual texts, there are some community developed options that you could try. One that is relatively simple to set up and has been very reliable for me is below. You set it up and it sends emails to your phone provider's email>text gateway, e.g., for Verizon the emails are sent to [phone number]@vtext.com or [phonenumber]@vzwpix.com] to use their MMS text gateway.

Did Hubitat remove their built-in Twilio texting option?

Update: Looks like Twilio is still an option for SMS text messaging.

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/devices/twilio-notification

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I have step one done. I have downloaded the pushover app. I am at the cabin now and will work on it tomorrow.

Greg

Thanks for that - I had thought it had been retired for some reason...

There are many here who know a secret:
In the US (and Canada) most (if not all) phone service providers have an email to text gateway.
In other words, you can send an email to xxxxxxxxxx@txt.freedommobile.ca and a SMS text message will go the the phone number xxxxxxxxxx.
Each service provider is different and requires a slightly different syntax, but they all (or most) have that capability.
Of course, this capability depends on the capability to send out an email.
That capability of sending out an email has been addressed by many in many different ways.

1 Like

I have had bad luck fairly recently with @kahn-hubitat 's excellent SendMail. It had been working well for me for years. I tried hard to get it working again, but finally gave up. I believe it has something to do with the carriers. Whatever, I went over to Pushover, which is excellent, but it's still not SMS.

Also, if you've been reading the forums at all recently, Twilio does not seem to be an option anymore for the average Joe, or Joanne.

I never mentioned you can still use sendmail using smtptogo . I have a test setup and it does deliver mms correctly to att's server at xxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net .

And it is free for up to 1000 messages per month. I just tested again and its still working.

1 Like

Doesn't like shared domains.
I used to have my own, but gave it up.

I think there's a built-in app called notifications.
I'm using it seems to work really well of course you have to have the habitat phone app installed but it works great.

There is; I mentioned this in the first reply. :slight_smile:

You can, but you can also use it with any device that supports notifications -- the Hubitat mobile app is just an easy option (and what I've used since it existed).

Being able to handle notifications is just another device "capability" on Hubitat, like being a switch or motion sensor or whatnot, and so any app can work with any device that supports the feature if it's just looking for this capability (and not a specific device driver, which is rare but technically possible).

1 Like

It may be overkill for the OP, but I use webcore to send SMS to my devices. Of course, they have to have the Hubitat app on the phone. Or use the Echo Speaks app (with webcore) to send to any of those included devices.

Verizon has made changes over the years with Email-To-Text.
While it still should work I would suggest researching Verizon or your carrier.

Verizon Email-to-Text FAQ
AT&T Email-to-Text