Help! Large Z-wave mesh very unreliable (migrating from smartthings))

How many of those were you polling, and at what frequency?

Yes, standard zwave by itself isn't necessarily bad. How most users end up using them is, however... Especially in Hubitat that doesn't seem to handle polling as well as other hubs.

At least based on my experience and testing. It was the catalyst for removing the last standard zwave devices I had.... But you are right, I shouldn't assume my experience is the same as others.

But whatever. If that isn't it, I'm sure others will have good advice for the OP.

I'm not doing any polling. Originally I had it setup and it screeched my network to a halt.

I love hubitat compared to smartthings - but smarthings I have to say had better non plus device setup. Somehow in the background it was polling as device status was correct after about 30 seconds on non plus devices. Hubitat doesn't update at all unless the poller app is running... which will crash my system.

In any event, I'm over that - just want to get the hub running reliably. It's better in every other way than smartthings was.

Zero...

The point being non plus zwave isn't inherintly bad, it all depends on the device. Plus is no different.

@tuffcalc
I owe you an apology. I was wrong. I did some checking on my own and found that there are others with success in adding large groups of devices to HE. Although I would not do it personally because it's so tough to figure out what's going wrong when there are problems, it is not wrong. I have not been able to follow your post more to see if there was a resolution, but I do hope you find one. The community is the tops here and I hope that I have not altered your opinion of that. Good luck!

Well, that isn't 100% accurate, but I understand your point. The protocol itself isn't especially bad.

But... non-plus CAN be very detrimental to your zwave mesh oerformance. But it isn't a given.

For example, if all your plus devices support 100 kbit transfer speed, then adding non-plus devices most definitely is a bad thing (in terms of throughput).

And God forbid you add a 9.6kbps device into your mesh...

When building a new setup, I definitely recommend doing one thing at a time, so you know for sure what the last thing you did that messed everything up was.

However, I completely understand that that sounds insane if you're moving over 150 pre-existing devices. My wife would have a cow if 150 devices stopped working, and I was only getting 2-3 back online each day. :grimacing:

1 Like

I get that completely. When I migrated 2 years ago, I did it slowly with a version of hubconnect. That kept everything talking while I was converting. I was converting from Smartthings to HE, which is much more .. "more" .. and required me to actually learn more than I had to with Smartthings. Insane? Yes. I agree with that statement 100%. I hope he gets it working. It is an amazing product.

I’ve got about 225 devices in Hubitat now. Running a new Zwave repair - going super slow. Last one took about a day to run. Is that how it’s supposed to be?

No issues with zigbee devices.

When mine worked it was about 30sec a node

How many are z-wave? A single controller has a limit of 232 and the controller is 1 so real limit is 231.

On a healthy network it should not takes days to run a repair unless the controller is trying to query battery devices and that is causing a huge delay as it waits for timeouts.

225 are zwave. I have about 20 zigbee.

It’s taking about 5 to 10 minutes per node ...

Wild guess... mixed network of older z-wave and some z-wave plus?

Here is the zwave repair running ...

Yes

The older non plus devices are going to slow down the overall network and that includes the repair/heal/optimize process.

I get a lot of double events in my logs... see attached. Is this because the messages are repeating through their routes? Maybe this is the cause of my sluggish network?

Like I said ... never had this issue with smartthings (using the same amount of devices). Really don't want to go back to that platform as Rule Machine and Lutron integration is working wonders for me.

I'd say they are symptoms of the signal finding different ways through the mesh?
I see them time to time on mine, I'm trying to remove all my non plus z-wave devices to see if that helps.

This is off my own bat, support keep going quite

I gave up. I can't get hubitat to work reliabilty, even with a seperate hubitat on each floor.

The home I movedi into has rockwool in all the walls (interior partitions included) - so I'm making the assumption that its creating signal issues.

I'm going to try one last attempt. Bought 4 more hubitats and will try placing in. each. major. room. Fingers. crossed.

Have you looked into zniffing?

It's not expensive (uzb3 stick is like $30) and using a windows computer you can scan to see what's going on.

Also, as you build.